Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ben's Bit - Alpha Flight #7 Review

1) WTF are the "Canadian Royal Mounties"?

2) do Walter's pants, shirt and glasses always appear out of nowhere when he turns human?

3) since when can Mr. Fantastic shape his body into objects like a hammer or fly-swatter a-la "Plastic Man"? Technically it isn't the real Mr. Fantastic so that can be forgiven I guess.

4) Centennial being an African-Canadian in the 1920, especially a police officer would make for some interesting stories since he would have been somewhat of a rarity back then. Is he perhaps from Africaville in NS? That would make for some VERY interesting stories. Has Scott even ever heard of Africaville?

4) Centennial being an African-Canadian in the 1920, especially a police officer would make for some interesting stories since he would have been somewhat of a rarity back then. Is he perhaps from Africaville in NS? That would make for some VERY interesting stories. Has Scott even ever heard of Africaville?
    I've never heard about it too. Don't be shy, do tell...[/quote]

Africaville was a town in NS that was founded around 1830 by mostly freed slaves.

In the 1960's Halifax decided it needed to expand so the townspeople were evicted and the whole town was bull-dozed to make room for the Halifax suburbs.

So basically a bunch of white politicians and businessmen erased off the map the most important African-Canadian heritage site in Canada.

Needless to say "race relations" in the area weren't the greatest and such problems still flare up today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John A.
    1) WTF are the "Canadian Royal Mounties"?

2) do Walter's pants, shirt and glasses always appear out of nowhere when he turns human?
    Yes. Since what he's doing is channeling into a Sasquatch body and back into a human one, not transforming. Henry had it right, one second he's human, the next Sasquatch.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Ah, ok, that's true.

But if he's not transforming then wouldn't that mean there shouldn't be "an inbetween morphing stage" as presented where he's half-sasq/half Walter?

Byrne and many other artists drew him "morphing" not instantly transforming. To aswer the shirt and pants question: How doe Reed Richards's suite stretch so much? How does Jonny Storm's not catch fire? The joy of Marvel's unstable molecules. It solves may Marvel costume and clothing woes.

Ben

Is his entire wardrobe now unstable molecules? In the past he wore unstable orange shorts, and the glasses are another matter entirely.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Is his entire wardrobe now unstable molecules? In the past he wore unstable orange shorts, and the glasses are another matter entirely.
    Heck, why not? It's not like he has a uniform to wear while in human mode. I could see how he would be sick of leaving his clothes scattered all over the country. hmmm, wonder what he'd do about his wallet....

Ben

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I seem to remember Byrne drew him taking off his glasses before he transformed; I don't know how he got them back.

- Le Messor
    "Barbara remains in the hospital and needs blood donors for more transfusions. She is also having trouble sleeping and requests tapes of Pastor Jack's sermons."
    - Church bulletin

The drawback is that if he takes off his clothes first as Byrne usually showed, it's less melodramatic. He probably gets either a tax cerdit or a clothing voucher when he's working for the government.

My take on Walt is mostly from Byrne and just factors in Furman's religious bits. Aside from Mantlo, his characterization has been fairly consistent all these years and all these writers.

He likes being Sasquatch. He's a former jock. As shown when Jean-Marie objected to his little orange bikini during the 1st Master story, Sasquatch is not embarrassed about his body or being naked.

The solution to his clothes I would like to see is when he reverts to human he's wearing one of the body suits that were the team uniforms at the end of volume 1. Unstable molecules, and protection against elements, and includes booties so he won't be stepping in moose droppings that would squish between his toes. It can have a little pouch that is hidden under his excess fur when he's as Sasquatch. The bodysuit can be worn under his regular clothes.

This still doesn't resolve the nature of unstable molecules and is surely the reason Byrne never depicted Walt as wearing them: when Johnny Storm is on fire, you can still see his uniform. Any unstable molecule uniform would cover his fur, and Sasquatch is really one of the best designed characters in comics, so we cant have that.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Default I was feeling Inspired....

After reading the letters page. I got tired of hearing Marvel say tell a friend to buy the book. So I shot another letter out telling them to put their money where their mouth is and start promoting the book. Hopefully it'll see print. Seems to me if they wanted folks to buy the book they'd add it to their subscription offers. We'll see if they agree!

Barnacle

Default Re: I was feeling Inspired....

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    After reading the letters page. I got tired of hearing Marvel say tell a friend to buy the book. So I shot another letter out telling them to put their money where their mouth is and start promoting the book. Hopefully it'll see print. Seems to me if they wanted folks to buy the book they'd add it to their subscription offers. We'll see if they agree!

Barnacle
    That's actually the topic of the letter I'm in the process of composing now. That letter ticked me off quite a bit too. The nerve of them saying that it's OUR responsibilty to sell THEIR product! Yes, fans will try and draft new ones, it's the nature of being a fan, but they can't bloodywell blame US for low sales, when they haven't so much as printed a single bloody add, or made subscriptions to AF available! arrrrrghhhh! sorry, getting off my soapbox and going back to said letter.

Ben