L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E
    [img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_1.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]

Writer: Scott Lobdell
    Artist: Dave Ross
    Story: Waxing Poetic 1 of 2

OVERVIEW:
    [img=left:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_2.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Having saved the original Alpha Flight from the clutches of the Plodex ship, Walter Langkowski is about to push the self destruct button. Just as he reaches out to push the button, Nemesis strikes the mechanism with her sword. Explaining her actions, Nemesis says that it could be in the best interest of Alpha Flight to capitalize on the alien technology. The ship had been designed with systems allowing for instant cross-continental teleportation. Should a new Alpha Flight be formed, they could easily defend their large country by being able to teleport anywhere in Canada. Walter agrees with her logic, but the topic sends the heroes into discussing if they are indeed interested in forming a new Alpha Flight or not. Major Mapleleaf states that he has responsibilities with the RCMP. Puck says that she doesn't think there's really need for a team. Yukon Jack claims he would rather attend to the affairs of state for his land. Even Sasquatch says that he would rather be following his first love, of Science. It is the ever clear Centennial who suggests they sleep on the decision, rather than making any commitments one way or the other. Utilizing the Plodex transportation hub, the heroes go their separate ways.

Coming through a hidden door in a brick Wall, Puck and Major Mapleleaf enter a busy street in Montreal. Major Mapleleaf very shyly tries to say goodbye to Zuzha. Having nothing of it, she says she might spend the night with him, she he ask. Lou becomes very flustered and is at a total loss for words. Zuzha does convince him to join her for drinks to discuss it.

[img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_3.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Stepping out of a tree in the the middle of the forest, Yukon Jack falls some distance into a large mud puddle. He looks up to see children running and laughing. He seems quite confused about thier "unsanctioned glee". Approaching his village, he finds the entire populace of Kemteron celebrating.

Emerging from a dark alley, in a run down looking neighborhood, Centennial has returned home for the first time in many years. Looking onto his ancestral home, he finds it derelict, and occupied by thugs.

Now inside a bar, a rather drunken Major Mapleleaf laments about the difficulties of living in the shadow of his Father. Zuzha grounds him by telling him his father really isn't very well known, and more people have heard of Pink Pearl than Major Mapleleaf. On the topic of fathers, Zuzha admits that she has never met her father (or at least doesn't realize she has). She considers him a looser for not taking part in raising her. The pair leave the bar, as it seems Lou could use some fresh air.

[img=left:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_4.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Back at the Plodex ship, the only heroes left are Sasquatch and Nemesis. We find them in mid conversation. Nemesis is attempting to convince Walter that he should remove the Inhibitor Device and allow her to join Alpha Flight of her own free will. She tells him that she will refrain from killing anyone at, all so that he can keep her out of the government detention center he had borrowed her from. She goes on to explain that though she has lived a long time, she is not immortal, and there is a matter that she must attend to, that she can't take care of while in prison. Removing her Mask, Nemesis reveals her true face to Walter asking him to "please" believe her good intentions.

Once more in the streets of Montreal, the now sobered up Major Mapleleaf is apologizing to Puck for his behaviour. He explains that he is not used to drinking, and that was his first beer ever. Comparing him to the usual drunks she sees in her bar, she admits to finding him "charming". It is then that they stumble across what appears to be The Thing, and Mr. Fantastic. On closer inspection of their surroundings, they discover they are outside [img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_5.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]Madame Trudeau's Wax Museum. Zuzha takes Lou's hand and leads him inside. While admiring a collection of wax statues of some of the worlds greatest super heroes, we are privy to the plotting of a fellow calling himself "The Manimator", who seems to be the sculptor. He is speaking to himself saying all those who are flesh and blood will fall before his might.

Returning to the western Canadian forests, the people of Yukon Jack's village are partying over, and defacing a statue of him. He then realizes the reason for the celebration, was his absence. From above in a tree, the seemingly forgotten young Plodex child watches.

It being now rather late at night, Major Mapleleaf asks Puck if she is interested in grabbing a bite to eat. She seems to prefer the option of taking him back to her place. They turn to find Thunder standing in the street waiting for them. As they take of into the air, Zuzha makes reference to Lou owning thunder, and refers to him as a flying horse, but the Major explains that they are partners, that he does not own Thunder. Show signs of quite liking Mapleleaf, Zuzha asks him to kiss her. Just as he is leaning in to do so, she is set back by Thor, Storm, and The Human Torch confronting them in the skies.

REVIEW:

This was a great issue. No, there was next to no action, but that's really not what I'm in this for. I was just blown away by the quality of the characterization of this issue. So much happened that I came out of the issue feeling I knew so much more about the characters now than I did before.
    [img=left:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_6.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]
    The biggest surprise for me was seeing Nemesis as the most interested member in forming a new Alpha Flight. Her desires to keep the ship intact to aid the team was smart thinking, and she really showed a side of herself we had never seen before. The entire unmasking scene was very well done, it made me really feel a connection with the character. I was a little surprised that none of the other members were championing keeping their team together.

The panel when Zuzha was talking about her bet with Walter was hilarious. Seeing her riding his back, while he was wearing a dress...that girl has a sick mind!

The budding romantic between Lou and Zuzha was very sweet. She seems like the type of woman who goes out and gets what she wants, and she wants Lou! The poor guy has no idea what he's in for! I had the impression with how she clung to him in past issues, that there was something there, now we know for sure.

I'm not shocked at the celebration over Yukon Jack's absence. I'm sure his ego combined with what power he had at the village really made everyone around him miserable. I feel a little sorry for him, as his bubble has been burst, but ultimately that will be the fuel to drive him back to continue as a member of Alpha Flight. I wonder why the Plodex kid followed him instead of staying close to Nemesis.

[img=right:5920f734bf]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_7_review_7.jpg[/img:5920f734bf]All along I had assumed that Thunder was a normal horse that Major Mapleleaf was able to use his powers to allow him to ride through the air, however the comments made between Lou and Zuzha suggests the horse himself is indeed able to fly.

This issue, though had many funny moments, and had me laughing out loud, did not shove the humour aspect in your face. It was a lot more gentle, and fit in extremely well, while not detracting from the story in any way. The Manimator seems to bee one of those generic corn-ball villains, and won't be a serous threat for the team, I think his purpose is to show the team there is reason to stay together. Fighting animated Was in the next issue will also really give us a chance to see AF let their powers out.

Ross art in this book was quite good, and I really enjoyed seeing him do Alpha Flight again after so many years. A few of his facial expressions were kind of odd, but we have been spoiled with Clayton Henry's great faces. The background art was very good. I really did enjoy seeing an other artist drawing the characters, as up to this point all we have seen is Clayton. I'm looking forward to Ross's next issue, but well be chomping at the bit for Henry panels by the end I'm sure.

Speaking of Art, I was startled to see the cover, as I had been expecting the Scottie young art we saw in Marvel Previews. I'm guessing we may see this art as next issue's cover, as the preview image for #8 is an other picture of Sasquatch, and it would seem odd to have two of those in a row. I really like the artistic quality to Mizuki Sakakibara's pencils on this cover.

Really a great issue, lots was done as far as building on the characters.

I thought it was an ok issue for a few reasons. I enjoyed the scenes with Yukon Jack being emo about his people partying while he's away (seriously, I know I sound like I'm joking around, but I thought that was fab, and added something great to his character) and I liked the interaction between the good Major and Yu. The cover was nice (made me think a little of the new interpretations of the Beast, though, since his secondary mutation) but most importantly of all, because I WROTE IN AND THEY PRINTED MY LETTER! So if any of you were gonna skip it, don't because if you buy it I'll go to the next Canadian Comic Expo and autograph it for you!!! I'm the last letter on the page.

I forgot I buttered Scott Lobdell up at the end there, but hey, it got me printed And I genuinely like Lobdell pretty ok (early Gen X was one of my favorite comics ever), so I'll be able to live with myself having said what I did. Though, they cut out the imortant part of my letter! I made an offer to Scott: us Canadians would write in and help familiarize him with our localaties so that we won't be so disgruntled all the time about trivial things because they won't be there because he'd be an expert.

Hey, congrats, so in that one issue there were two members of the forum that got printed, as Del got printed too! Not bad, 2 out of 3 letters are Alpha Waves members Good on both of you!

Ben

AHH my brain didn't register when I was scanning the letters page and I saw "Del Robinson"! We're the best posters at a forum EVAR. Well. Me and Del are. I don't see any other af.net peeps published in this issue... OMG now I'm too excited to sleep! I wish my room mate were awake so I could show her.

I loved the writing in this issue. Welcome change of pace from the "meh" conclusion to 'Kiddin me' last month.

I wasn't thrilled with the art though, which I think is mostly due to the fact that I've been staring at the mastery of Henry for six months now. Did I mention how much I *hate* the way Squatch looks in this issue? He needs to look more like a massive ass-kicker, and less like a pretty pretty pony.

Aaaaaanyway, still great issue overall. Great character developement is worth a thousand pretty ponies.

I really can't explain it but this is my fav issue of the new series. Think that it was sort of down time and the character interactions.

The art to me was quite good even if Sasquatch, at times, looked a bit small. The character interactions and overall story are quite good. Outside of one problem this is a very good issue.

Still only one problem, same one since issue #3: What can Puck do??? So far she can't fly, isn't strong, isn't invulnerable, can't use energy, ....

Is she simply eye candy? Is she a superhero or not, Mr. Lobdell? If all she can do is floor exercises then maybe her codename will be 'the Anchor'. I really, really hope Mr. Lobdell fixes that problem in #8. Every other AF character has been given a reason for being on the team, except her.

So she could talk before she was born. How does that make her a superhero? So she can avoid falling objects on occasion, and flip and tumble. So can thousands of other people. Mr. Lobdell, why is Puck on the super hero team Alpha Flight??
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    What can Puck do??? So far she can't fly, isn't strong, isn't invulnerable, can't use energy, ....
    Could the original Puck fly?
    Was he super strong? Invulnerable?
    Could he use energy(whatever was meant by that)?

Can't a hero be defined by their actions rather than their powers?

My point is that Yu Puck doesn't do anything warranting her having to be on the team.

Judd Puck was strong, could speak 6 languages, pretty invulnerable, had vast weapons experience, was a leader, excellent strategist, and knew a lot about magic. If Judd Puck had only been a short acrobat he would've been an anchor character too, totally unbelievable on a super hero team.

But he had knowledge from all his years of espionage and fighting, he was exceptionally tough, stronger than average (probably Major Mapleleaf strong), and thus could do things the average acrobat couldn't. With his ability to fight magic that makes 3 super human abilities (magic defense, beyond human toughness, exceptional strength) to go with his fighting ability, strategies, and other skills.

So far Zuzha has nothing but acrobatics. If she too can speak any language, or is pretty invulnerable, or immune to magic/psi's, or is near perfect in strategy, then fine. But just an acrobat??
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    My point is that Yu Puck doesn't do anything warranting her having to be on the team.
    None of them have to be on the team though.
    None of them cry out superhero material.
    To me that's the point.

Judd Puck was strong, could speak 6 languages, pretty invulnerable, had vast weapons experience, was a leader, excellent strategist, and knew a lot about magic.
    How much of that was actually known when Mac recruited him though?
    Was he known as a leader before ever having led a team?

If Judd Puck had only been a short acrobat he would've been an anchor character too, totally unbelievable on a super hero team.
    When dealing with super hero team everything is unbelievable.
    The very concept of a super hero is unbelievable.
    That's the point of fiction.

With his ability to fight magic that makes 3 super human abilities (magic defense, beyond human toughness, exceptional strength) to go with his fighting ability, strategies, and other skills.
    Again, did Mac know anything about Puck's use of magic when recruiting him?
    And aren't beyond human toughness and exceptional strength essentially the same thing?
    Who's to say Zuzha hasn't got these skills?

So far Zuzha has nothing but acrobatics. If she too can speak any language, or is pretty invulnerable, or immune to magic/psi's, or is near perfect in strategy, then fine. But just an acrobat??
    And what powers, prey tell, did Mac have?
    Did Heather have?
    Not even acrobatics.

Were they any less of a part of AF for being normal humans?

Heather went from doting lil wife to being a fighting expert.

To me Zuzha is already ahead of her in "superhero skills" as we 've already seen she can hold her own in a fight.

If memory serves, Eugene was basically just a tumbler with an indomitable spirit when he first joined the team. Athletically strong maybe, but no enhancements. So pretty much like Puck 2 is at present. It wasn't until the Master condensed his form using the Scramble enzyme that he attained super strength. I believe he is now in the ten ton range with Spiderman et al. Althougn his tumbling and athletic prowess are explored more than his strength.

There are many athletic type heroes out there without any super powers. Daredevil, Hawkeye, Paladin etc, so if Puck 2 has the courage to fight super powered baddies then I can't see any reason why she shouldn't be on the team.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

But the question still remains why Sasquatch recruited her. He could have found other people with her fighting skills--anyone trained in martial arts who works as a bouncer.
    She still lacks a reason for being besides a bet.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Yeah, but what kind of ongoing series wraps up all it's mysterys and fully fleshes out it's characters in one arc?

She doesn't lack a reason, we the readers just don't know it.
    As we don't know how Walt found out about Rutherford, Yukon Jack, MMLJ.

I can only speak for myself, but I like the intrigue.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    But the question still remains why Sasquatch recruited her. He could have found other people with her fighting skills--anyone trained in martial arts who works as a bouncer.
    She still lacks a reason for being besides a bet.
    Probably because of the family ties. Why look abroad when the item you want is closer to home?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

You blokes are up late, eh?
    Too much intrigue. She's Judd's daughter, but does either of them know that? What's her powers? What's her motivation to join?
    Intrigue is a very good thing. This character just isn't developed.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.