Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avengers Disassembled (Split from #6 Review)

Default Avengers Disassembled (Split from #6 Review)

Is Jarvis gay? You know, Kozzi, I'd have to say yes. My gaydar kicks into overdrive every time I read him.

Out of curiousity (I'm still tracking down some Disassembled issues), who all died? I realize there were gratuitous deaths, but I wouldn't mind a spoiler if you can send one my way.

I'm going to give these new Avengers a shot, if for no other reason than a line-up shake-up can be a good thing (AFv2 comes to mind). But I'm a little nervous, for obvious reasons.

But I remain hopeful. Are you reading the New Invaders, by chance? I've fallen in love with this series, and Jacobsen even told me that he'd try to get Major Mapleleaf in there (like you didn't know I'd ask him that, lol).

Death toll so far seems to be
    SPOLIERS

IN AVENGERS:
    Ant Man
    Vision
    Jack of Hearts (can energy die?)

IN THOR
    Brunnhilde Valkerie
    Hogun the Grim
    Fandral

IN IRON MAN
    his snotty barely-legal girlfriend (Rumiko or something like that. I've detested her so much since her first appearance, I never did no much as catch her name)
    Like I said, never get upset about Avengers roster changes. But I was first "lost with Alpha when Mantlo did the redical member change in #50. I'm not against new characters. I would like to see Mapleleaf and Centennial merged with more originals. Yukon Jack and Puck2 don't appeal to me at all, and by the nature of HOW Walt has her on the team, it would be "realistic" for her tenure to be short lived and her animosity for the team increased by the experience.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Highlight to view spoilers:

Isn't Valkerie only presumed to be dead - I don't think they found a body, she is listed as MIA.
    Also I believe that the next person to die is
    Hawkeye!

Not sure that many of the fans are happy with the changes or even impressed with the new look team. (See seperate thread for New Avengers).

New Recruit

Adding to that list Amora, Heimdall, Balder, Kurse, Vidar, and tons of others.. (Don't feel like dragging up the issues at the moment..)

I thought Brunhilde was dead? -- We saw her shot out of the sky, Sif ran to her, and her last words were of Aragorn, her steed.. In the issue after, we saw Volstagg the (newly) Thin carrying her body, and Thor ordering a pyre to be built for her..

Then again, thinking back, she *could* still be alive from the way Volstagg reacted to the order for a pyre...

~ Magik
    Do you believe in -- Magik?

Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Spoilers.....

Wow! I didn't really think they'd kill Clint
    ....holy crap!

Was Antman's body found? If not....I wouldn't count him as dead....just yet.

Dana

Wow... that was really unexpected. I don't read the book but that character was always one of my favorites.

SPOILERS
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Once you're halfway in and 3 of the characters on the cover are even in the issue, it becomes obvious who the "victim" is.

As far as deaths go, this one's not too worrisome. We don't see a body, and as stated at the end of the issue, there is magic at work. That leaves plenty of openings for someone else to bring that dead avenger back someday.

So far, this has been my least favorite issue of Bendis' run. I liked the Nick Fury concerns, but when the battle started, we didn't see too much of all those assembled Avengers in action. I liked last issue, and it was a lot of talking heads. I don't follow Bendis work regularly. How do you guys rate his writing of action scenes in general?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Am I the only one who finds this whole Disassembled storyline just plain awful? I know it's all meant to seem rushed and hyper to pile on the tragedy but it just seems contrived to the point of hilarity.

No Beetle, you're not the only one.
    I liked the first issue:
    although not the results as Scott Lang has way too much untapped potential. But the opening conversation was just plain awful. Such a conversation, in mixed company, with your current squeeze in the room? Not too likely. And, if anything, if that conversation absolutely HAD to be there, they should have stuck to the green theme and Hawkeye maybe should have said Jennifer. They've always had the love-hate thing going on, and it obviously now could leave more impact. This mix of 616 Hank Pym and the Ultimates version is also horrendous. He hit Jan once, while mentally unstable and perhaps also fighting mind control. I can understand her refusal to re-marry, but this recent bit of everyone still holding it against him just doesn't seem right. The characterizations didn't seem right, and his dialogue needs work, to me. All the characters sounded the same, and too formal when talking together as a group of friends.
    the second issue:
    was a lot of talking heads, and didn't seem to be keeping the fast pace momentum. Nothing great in it, nothing that stands out as bad.
    Issue 3:
    was the first I was really dissatisfied with. You have all those Avengers and the battle with the Kree, and you didn't see many of the charatcers in action. I don't follow Ultimate stuff, and Daredevil has been give-and-take with me, but this issue especially had me thinking the words "overrated" in regards to Bendis. Besides not seeing many different Avengers in action, the hype of this issue was who was going to bite it. The tension was gone by three of the Avengers on the cover not even being in the issue! This much hyped death also lacks any comic-world permanance. No body, magic involved. He'll be back someday.
    www.kozzi.us

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

In this day when "padded" is catchword is sometimes policy...593 seemed rushed.
    There should have been battles, big battles. Avengers injured in 502 should have been addressed. Dr Strange takes over, fine.
    The threat is revealed, interesting. It does make a certain sense within continuity.
    From there, the assembled people should have gone after her and been slapped down left and right. Then the last Avengers standing should have won the day, and those Avengers should have been closest to her...Cap, due to recent Cap & Falcon, Warbird, Wasp, Quicksilver and most especially, and the least utilized character in this, Wonder Man, her most recent boyfriend and the true soul of her x-husband.

Then, there should have been another fight. The Avengers just LET Magneto take her? No fight, no resistance?

What a disappointment.

And the set up, shown in the first pages of #503, should have been worked into the end of Austin's run, just to give more of a hint.

While I didn't post on it, I am proud to say that I did figure the two children talking at the end of #500 to be the twins.

It does, however, bode well for Hawkeye's eventual return.

Does anyone else see a certain sexism to power bases in Marvel continuity? Pheonix gets too powerful, suicide. Captain Marvel (Monica) is too powerful, her energies are scatter and her power levels dropped. No Wanda, too powerful, made comatose. I dont offhand remember this happening to male heroes.
    www.kozzi.us

Wait...so let me get this straight....

The person behind all the chaos in Avengers...the person who orchestrated so much death and destruction...was (highlight to see ) SCARLET WITCH??!!! That....makes no sense at all. Although I really haven't read Avengers in a while, and was actually waiting until Avengers Disassembled came out in TPB. Do they at least explain why this happened in the current arc, or am I going to have to go searching through back-issues??

Well, now I'm looking forward even more to reading the downfall of the Avengers. I know people have slammed it, and I pretty much know who all dies and now, apparently, who was behind it. But it still should be a good read...right??

Cheers,
    -Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

There's an opening in #503 that shows what sent her over the edge this time, and it is clearly pointed out that she's slipped before. They used a lot of art from past gone-bad stories. It came off as convincing.
    I personally might have liked this more if editorial had made Bendis write a standard story first. He could have also set this up a little better with advanced hints, rather than a last minute flashback. Other fans might have accepted his ruin of the Avengers as we know them if he had first proved he could write them as we know them.
    The trade will be a worthy read. Not perfect, but enjoyable.
    www.kozzi.us

Okay there are a lot of SPOLIERS in my post...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

I was reading Avengers West Coast when the whole revelation about Wanda and Vision's children came out - wasn't it Bryne who did it? Anyway, the fact that this information was kept from Wanda until silly old Wasp let it slip in a totally odd conversation by the pool at the Avengers Mansions seems slighly absurd, but does mean that it's Jan's fault that Wanda was sent over the edge!!! Presumably though this means that she only went mad recently and wasn't sitting around hatching plots for years and years.

At the end of the day Scarlet Witch can't really be blamed for anything as it was her power which got out of hand and she was kinda wacko at the time too. Even the Avengers themselves didn't really seem to blame her at the end of the issue.

The arc was rushed, and chaotic, but then maybe that's how it was meant to be? However much I enjoyed the final issue, it does seem slightly pathetic that it was Doctor Strange who managed to stop Wanda simply by making her look into his eye of Agomotto! The Avengers pretty much had to stand around hopelessly and look on.

Oh and also from what Magneto said at the end it was actually Wanda who was behind the false Magneto who rampaged around New York and killed Jean Grey recently!

At the end of the day though TPTB have said that they have big plans for the character in the House of M miniseries/crossover, which I find quite exciting.