Thread: Way back ;)

Default Way back ;)

Remember the initial character interviews Mr. Lobdell gave about ANADAF? He seemed, in my opinion, to be most interested in Centenniel and Major Mapleleaf (in the Zuzha talk he barely mentions her, and before ANADAF started we knew next to nothing about Yukon Jack).

Well after 6 issues Scott has held true to form. Of the 4 new characters Centenniel and Major Mapleleaf are the only two who have been pretty fully fleshed out. We know their powers and more of their background/beliefs than the other two, by a long shot. Some exposition on Zuzha's powers is due I'd say. #7 maybe? I think on the Boardhost poll most people thought #7 or maybe #8 was where we'd see what makes her a paranormal. Hmmm....
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Default Re: Way back ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Remember the initial character interviews Mr. Lobdell gave about ANADAF? He seemed, in my opinion, to be most interested in Centenniel and Major Mapleleaf (in the Zuzha talk he barely mentions her, and before ANADAF started we knew next to nothing about Yukon Jack).

Well after 6 issues Scott has held true to form. Of the 4 new characters Centenniel and Major Mapleleaf are the only two who have been pretty fully fleshed out. We know their powers and more of their background/beliefs than the other two, by a long shot. Some exposition on Zuzha's powers is due I'd say. #7 maybe? I think on the Boardhost poll most people thought #7 or maybe #8 was where we'd see what makes her a paranormal. Hmmm....
    I find that too much space is wasted in most issues. A lot of this stuff could have been addressed in the first storyline.

Take #6 for example: As usual, we have the lame recap on page one. We have an unnecessary full page shot of Nemesis and the kid staring at the ships. Two separate two-page spreads, and the "coming soon" box is a third of a page.

I enjoy Henry's art, and I don't mind when he tries to "show off" a little, but this is a little much. It feels like 12 pages of story stretched into 21.

A scene of Sasquatch and Puck vs the Plodex could easily have fit into the arc, but was intentionally not shown. So if the reason people say that those who don't like Puck2 just haven't seen her fleshed out yet, there's consideralbe responsibility on the writer.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    A scene of Sasquatch and Puck vs the Plodex could easily have fit into the arc, but was intentionally not shown. So if the reason people say that those who don't like Puck2 just haven't seen her fleshed out yet, there's consideralbe responsibility on the writer.
    Yes indeed, unless (giving the benefit of the doubt here) showing her powers now would ruin a big surprise down the road (like giving away who her mother is, or some such).

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Yes indeed, unless (giving the benefit of the doubt here) showing her powers now would ruin a big surprise down the road (like giving away who her mother is, or some such).
    It seems to me it was a given that fight was not shown to keep Puck's powers a mystery. And Sasquatch stating how well she did was designed to build on that. We do know that she has powers, we just don't know what they are, and it's being drawn our for a reason, eh?

Ben

May be the case, Ben, but wouldn't they have been a surprise in #3? I just think 6+ issues is too long to draw it out. Attention spans aren't what they used to be. Remember your first view of the Alpha team? In any given issue, chances are you didn't know every power, but you saw a team of interesting people in action. The more characters in a team book that don't grab much of the audience is more of the audience lost. And showing powers in action is much of the appeal of comics to many. I usually don't want to know everything up front, but after six issues, there should be a solid feel for all the characters.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

May be the case, Ben, but wouldn't they have been a surprise in #3? I just think 6+ issues is too long to draw it out. Attention spans aren't what they used to be. Remember your first view of the Alpha team? In any given issue, chances are you didn't know every power, but you saw a team of interesting people in action. The more characters in a team book that don't grab much of the audience is more of the audience lost. And showing powers in action is much of the appeal of comics to many. I usually don't want to know everything up front, but after six issues, there should be a solid feel for all the characters.
    The attention grabbing can be done in many ways though, and suspence and curiosity are powerful tools in this. Besides, if characters were always introduced the same way, in the same time frame, we'd get mighty bored mighty fast. I don't think us not yet knowing her powers is a negative thing.

Seems lately some people have been just looking for the negative in the book wanting to find holes and problems with it. I am looking forward to finding out her powers, and YJ's powers. Looks like you are too, I'm just a little more patient I guess

Ben

Considering how sales for each issue continue to drop, Ben, and considering Marvel's policy on axing books with low sales, I can certainly understand where Kozzi's coming from. I'd rather not find out Zuzha's powers when ANADAF cameos in some Austen book because they no longer have a book of their own.

Gawd... I've seen her powers in #4-5...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    So she's got powers then ?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Her power is to keep her baggy pants up without a belt.

Character intrigue is a good point Ben. But this character already has that with her undefined connection to the real Puck. Why also hide her powers?
    www.kozzi.us

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John A.
    Her power is to keep her baggy pants up without a belt.
    Maybe the thong really is on the outside, and that is her means of support?
    www.kozzi.us

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    It seems to me it was a given that fight was not shown to keep Puck's powers a mystery. And Sasquatch stating how well she did was designed to build on that. We do know that she has powers, we just don't know what they are, and it's being drawn our for a reason, eh?

Ben
    That's kind of the benefit of the doubt I was referring to. I suspect that when they're revealed, it'll be a huge deal. I think there's more to it that just what her powers are. It might be that the use of her powers now would ruin another surprise, like who mom is (unless that's been revealed and I totally whiffed on it. Lol...).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I went over those issues Phil and didn't see her use one power. Are you refering to her thinking about being able to talk to her mom while in the womb in #4 and the fight scene in #5? Personally, I don't consider her thinking about a power being the same as it being shown, but point taken that it was at least stated she has them. As for the fight scene she didn't do anything that wouldn't be considered beyond the abilities of a highly skilled (non-powered) martial artist. I'm guessing her powers will be revealed in #7 and hope that Scott gives her plenty of room in the story to do just that.