Thread: Scott Lobdell Vs Scott Lobdell

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Scott Lobdell Vs Scott Lobdell

I read the posts SL makes outside of the comic, and I read the comic. And it's like they're by two different people.

The first complains at the remotest stereotype of old people. The second writes about an old man complaining about his hip and watching TV in the day room.

The first thinks he's rebuilding Giant-Sized X-Men #1. The second writes 'previously in AF' segments as if nobody is ever going to read the comic in a few years time - as if, in other words, we've all had every opportunity to buy every issue -as it comes out- (which isn't even true now, much less in twelve years when people as yet unborn might want to read it).

Is there a difference here, or is it just me?

- Le Messor
    "As a rule software systems do not work well until they have been used, and have failed repeatedly, in real applications. "

There's been some difference between the two. I can think of other examples, but see no need to share specifics.

In Scott's defense though, the one character making jokes about Rutherford's age is Rutherford! I would think if he has superman-powers, he KNOWS he isn't going to be breaking a hip too easily. I kind of think of him as a sneaky old guy setting people up to think of him as dim and feeble so he can take them by surprise and kick their butt.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I really like Rutherford(he reminds me a bit of my Great Grandfather...whom I miss, very much), he pokes fun at himself, but can kick your butt. He is easily my favorite of the new characters(I can't stand Yukon Jack and the new Puck, though). Major Mapleleaf Jr. is a favorite too....he makes me think of how superheroes(emphasis on HERO) used to be(sigh)...very noble, ethical and true of heart.

I too am not so sure of Scott's alleged fondness for Alpha Flight(not to say that he doesn't really love AF, but if he does....why make a new team and ship the originals off into outer space???). Maybe it's only Sasquatch he likes...not Alpha Flight?...I don't know.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    he pokes fun at himself, but can kick your butt.
    Exactly.
    No-one else has put him down or stereotyped him.
    I feel Scott's portrayed him well.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I too am not so sure of Scott's alleged fondness for Alpha Flight(not to say that he doesn't really love AF, but if he does....why make a new team and ship the originals off into outer space???). Maybe it's only Sasquatch he likes...not Alpha Flight?...I don't know.

Dana
    I think it's quite simple: Scott's pitch for the Flight made it a comedy book. Comedy is one of Lobdell's strengths, and it's a differerent approach. It's also different from any other Marvel book out there.

The problem is the cast. Taking the original cast and making them into comedy regulars is difficult. There's a limit to how much you can do without ticking off the fans of the team. Hence the replacements, who have no such limits.

Scott also seems to be the type of person who teases/makes fun of those that he genuinely likes. I've run into that sort in real life myself.

Alpha isn't the only funny book out there at the moment, She Hulk is back being played for laughs. Course, outside of the Avengers she's normally played for humor anyway.

And really, it's nice to have a distinct change of pace from the usual angst fest that all the X-titles have become. Though I do hope we get some more action in the book.

I think Scott has thought out his first three storylines well. First, we get a 6 issue story arc, without a lot of action, but we do get to know our new characters and their morals on certain topics. It also takes the old members out of the picture for a while. ok.

Second, a two issue story arc about wax figures of the Marvel Univers. I know a lot of people humed and hawed about it, but think about it. Why do they use robots in cartoons? So the heros can whip some ass! I have a feeling everybodies powers will be finally shown now that they can let loose on 'non-living' apponents.

Thirdly, a time spanning 4 issue arc that will combine the characterization and action elements of the first 8 issues, placing our heroes with farmiliar faces in unfarmiliar territory, trying to save the life of a former foe while trying not to disrupt the timeline. How can you get any better then that?!

That's my thoughts anyway,
    D.