Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Avengers...

I've read up to number 16 and I think I liked the Ronin arc the best. Except for the fight with Cage, Spidey, Wolverine and Jessica vs. The Wrecker, I don't think Wolverine has really been that useful to the team. And where DO these people find the time? I can barely manage my day job!

Wolverine is only part time with them. I liked that fidght with the Wrecker they got to beat up a top level villian. They worked together to do it to.
    Richard Vasseur

Personally I think the flaw of Wolverine's role in the New Avengers is the same in the comic as it is out of it. Wolverine's argument in the issue in which they announced their new teams was a seriously bad one in my opinion. Allowing him to sit out the public ceremony was one of the worst moves they could have made, one because it seriously separates him from the rest of the team and gives off an incredibly fake image to the public. They want him on the team to do the dirty business without a doubt, and they either need to face their own willingness to allow that to happen or let him go his own way. Yes, he is a former assassin and many time murderer, and now he is also an Avenger. What happens when Wolvie gets busted for doing something by the law? Will the Avengers back him up? I'm not convinced that there really HAS been an effort, inside or out to really make him a member, and that they need to either use or lose him. This is the problem with most of Wolvie's guest appearances and even continual series appearances is that they don't actually use him... he was on a team for a whole arc of Uncanny and yet sat out most of it after getting slapped aside... I'm starting to see why people think of Wolvie as a simple money factor, because he isn't being the amazing hero that got him his reputation in the first place. I like where he is going in his own series and he's done well enough in Astonishing, but although I initially loved the idea of Wolvie finally as an Avenger, they aren't letting him live up to the potential.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Personally, I'm getting rather tired of not seeing the Sentry do anything. Whats the point of having him on the team if hes not going to do anything.

Hopefully he'll square off against the Collective. That'd be worth the price of admission.
    I BETA TESTED YOUR GIRLFRIEND.

I agree Sentry meeds to be used in the series. And Wolverine I think he should just leave the team. I don't like at all how they are using him.
    Keeping him for the dirty jobs is wrong. They have to learn to do them themselves in their own way.
    Richard Vasseur

Yeah, Sentry and Wolverine either need to step up or get lost in my opinion, and it should really either be one or the other. Obviously they'll pull for Sentry because he's their mystery boy at this point. Anyways, I actually was really hoping for Wolverine to start taking some leadership positions, not only in the Avengers, but in the X-Men and even in the worldwide mutant resistance... but no, apparently not. I really thought it would be a great development, especially given his current evolution and new personal gains, if he could take charge, get things together. I mean, he is now perhaps the deadliest individual on the planet as some might argue... he has dirt on tons of foreign governments, hes had several layers of top notch military training, hes arguably unkillable... I mean he whooped up on Silver Samurai with hardly even a problem (I say as much because I don't think that Wolvie really cared about the sword in stomach thing, hey, its happened before), and he used to have a decently rough time with him... I mean, the guy has gone head to head with some of the toughest of the tough, even without his adamantium and a reversed healing factor! That has to count for something.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

I was hoping that Wolverine's inclusion with the Avengers was going to show how--no matter how heroic he could be he isn't really AVENGERS material. Avengers don't kill, and other. Back in the day, Hawkeye could be troublesome, but he never went as far as to flirt with other members' wives, etc. He created tension without much moral questionability.

The story does make sense as Wolverine's membership was sponsored by Tony Stark, a character whose morality does seem to ALWAYS coincide with Stark's own best interests over the interests of the team. Hopefully Civil War will highlight the philosophical differences.

In example of what I'm saying in the storytelling, I thought Operation Galactic Storm should have ended with membership changes if East and West teams along the lines of who favored killing the Supreme Intelligence. That both teams reverted to the same memberships when the arc was over was a disappointment.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Yes that flirting with Mary Jane I didn't much like. That is not part of Wolverine's normal character to ever try to come between a married couple.
    He is a killer yes but he is also an honourable man. Not a beast but a man. He is really used wrong here in the Avengers and he does seem out of place.
    Richard Vasseur

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Yes that flirting with Mary Jane I didn't much like. That is not part of Wolverine's normal character to ever try to come between a married couple.
    Yes, the Wolverine we all know and love would never, ever flirt with a red-head who was already attached to somebody else.

- Le Messor
    "Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Yes, the Wolverine we all know and love would never, ever flirt with a red-head who was already attached to somebody else.

- Le Messor
    "Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
    *sniff, sniff* ahhhh! nothing like the fresh smell of sarcasm in the morning!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

For just a second there I was trying to recall a time that Wolvie flirted with Heather while she was with Mac, then it occured that you were prolly referring to Jean Grey while she was with Scott. He must really like Mac a lot, not to have tried to get into Heathers spandex while he's been about.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Wolverine when he flirted some with Jean he never had any intentions to doing anything more than talking. He was talking to a friend that he was very close to. But only a friend. Both knew that nothing would ever happen between them. As Wolverine told Scott before he would never make a play for another man's wife.
    The New Avengers seems to be changing the characters however they please, just look at Spider-Man his new costume was a bride to get him to work for Tony as his lackey. They are going to be keeping secrets anfd lying to the rest of the Avengers including Cap. Peter admired Cap more than almost anyone except his family. For Peter to throw that away and now be Iron Man's flunky. It is just not in character.
    Richard Vasseur

When Wolverine did flirt with jean grey, she was not yet married to Scott. I am also a proponent of looking at the original continuity, pre-
    Origin, and Del hit on the theory i always had.

Isn't it possible that Wolvie's obsessession with Jean was simply displaced love for heather. Wolvie would never hit on a married woman (he is supposed to have a high sense of honor) PARTICULARLY his best friend's wife. I always figured his feelings for jean were always displaced feelings for Heather that he would not allow himself to even acknowledge.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Yes Wolverine's sense of honor would never allow him to cheat with a married woman. He loved Jean for Jean not because of Heather who he respected and loved as well but more as a sister. Jean though if not for Scott and their love he would have made a play for her. But he would never interfer in their happiness.
    Richard Vasseur

I think hs feelings for Heather have gone deeper than Brother-Sister. I seem to recall he told her one of the reasons he left Dept H was because his feelings for her were so deep and he didn't want to cause problems between her and Mac.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!