Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Avengers...

This book has been thumbs up for me. I love Bendis and Finch ever since Ultimate X-Men. This team rocks!

I agree. Wolverine doesn't need to be in this book. Keep him in the X-titles!
    Do U Believe in Xavier's Dream?

Like to discuss X-Men?
    Role Play your favorite Mutant?

The first two issues were full blown action, while the 3rd has started to show character development and the team properly coming together, the only piece missing is the humour.

The only downside is that I know Wolverine will so up sooner or later.
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

I thought the scene between Steve and Jarvis was humourous because all of the sudden you see Spidey head pop into view that's Spidey for you.

MM

Now when Wolverine starts hitting on Mary Jane I bet we'll have one upset Spider.
    So far though I am enjoying the comic.
    Richard Vasseur

After following the 1st 4 issues of the New Avengers book I couldn't help but think that this is how an intro to a new team in an old book should be. I magine if Vol. 3 had an intro like this. We are still only a few issues in and the team is not yet assembeled but stuff is happening. There are multiple story lines being woven in and piqueing interest. There are multple mysteries that are keeping readers interested and looking forward to the upcoming issues. Now compare that to the intro of Vol.3. Need I say more?

Ed

I haven't read the book and I have no idea who Sentry is but I need a book to read.

I am hoping that very soon they will explain a little about who Sentry is and what his powers are. I know he can fly and is stronge but what else? This is the first time I've seen him. I know he has made other appearances in other comics. But he is not a long time established character like the rest of the team.
    Richard Vasseur

I know Sentry had his own series for a bit, but I know little of him beyond that. He seems to be another Superman ripoff(like Prime, Hyperion, etc...)...but that may be only because I haven't read any of his stories.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

It's funny...I have the Sentry series by Jenkins. I enjoyed it, but remember little details of it. Most was set in the early time of Marvel, and had seemed at the time of a form of what if story, with the premise of what if someone like superman was in the Marvel Universe, not just by his powers, but his boy scout attitude...he was a friend and inspiration with/to everyone, including Hulk.
    I should reread it when I get a chance.
    I do remember it as a pretty decent story tho...worth finding in back issues or trades
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

From what I've seen of Sentry in the New Avengers so far he doesn't seem like a boy scout. Probably his wifes death has changed that in him. He feels responsible for it.
    Richard Vasseur

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    I haven't read the book and I have no idea who Sentry is but I need a book to read.
    New Avengers is great. But I also recommend Runaways (new series just starting up! Yay!) and, of all things, Young Avengers. Yeah, it looks bad from the outside, but it's really well-written.

- Le Messor
    "Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship."

[quote="Le Messor"]New Avengers is great. But I also recommend Runaways (new series just starting up! Yay!) and, of all things, Young Avengers. Yeah, it looks bad from the outside, but it's really well-written."

Runaways doesn't really hold my attention, but surprisingly, Young Avengers - at least what I've seen of them from previews - does look quite intriguing. Sorta like the original run of Power Pack (compared to the batch of candyfluff they are trying to pass off as them) in that it's written well, without talking down to the audience or the characters.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I hear after the "Breakout" storyline ends there's going to be a two or three issue arc spotlighting the Sentry. I can't wait, I don't know too much about the character and would to see finally see him in the book!

All in all, I've been enjoying New Avengers, I agree with you that Wolverine AND Spiderman being in another title is not necessary, but what are you going to do right?? Seems like the only two characters in the Marvel Universe for the last couple of years has been these two!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I know Sentry had his own series for a bit, but I know little of him beyond that. He seems to be another Superman ripoff(like Prime, Hyperion, etc...)...but that may be only because I haven't read any of his stories.

Dana

The Sentry isn't, in my opinion, isn't just another rip-off of Supes. While he has the almost the same powers, its his personality, attitude, and background that sets him apart from Superman and "the other rip-offs".

Whenever he drinks a secret serum, he gains the "power of a million exploding suns!" And yes, its cheesy, but as you read into the series, it gets much darker. You realize he's addicted to the serum that makes him the Sentry, cause being plain old Robert Reynolds isn't a pleasure cruise. Robert is schizophrenic and agoraphobic(fear of open spaces), so hes confined to his house basically. And unliked Superman, who prides his self on saving others all over the world, The Sentry goes where CLOC (The Sentry's supercomputer) tells him where he should go. CLOC lets the Sentry know whats going on all over the world, he also tells him what the probability of the given situations are, how long it will take, and whats the most important. Unlike Supes, The Sentry goes about his deeds in a robotic and methodical fashion, almost as if he didn't care about what happened to those people in the burning building while he was out saving people from a nuclear meltdown, or while he was spending time with his wife, Lindy. I know, Comparasions to Superman are easy to make, but its his flaws that make him uniquely Marvel.

I also recommend his new mini series if you guys aren't already reading it. It goes even farther into detail of the Sentry life.

Yep I have been getting his limited series. And yes he is definetly different than Superman.
    I haven't decided for sure whether I like his character or not yet. I'll read another issue of his series and I'd like to see how well he does in the Avengers team on a mission to.
    Richard Vasseur