Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Avengers...

Is the entire line-up that bad?
    Keep in mind here that I am one who doesn't like it as much when the team is comprised mostly of the founfing members and Cap. I like seeing B characters in the Avengers.
    I am not crazy about this line-up because it is writer-driven, with a "whole new" bit rather than a gradual change of members.
    Spider-Man has been a member before. I don't mind seeing him short term, but I'm wondering if the Avengers are still paid. Pete and MJ could use the extra bucks, and it would be interesting to see how Peter Parker would feel about being paid for being a hero.
    Wolverine is just inappropriate. If they're going to be smart about it, he will be a short term member and used themeatically to show that his style is not Avengers material.
    Spider-Woman 1 is needless fanboy stuff in my opinion. She lost most of her powers and gave up the identity. I didn't care for Byrne's SW 3 and did not follow the series, but I was a big fan of Julia Carpernter and would like to see this character restored.
    Luke Cage is precisely the type of B character who has done well with the Avengers, so I do have an "about time" attitude for his membership.
    Cap kind of IS the Avengers. I've always liked it when he was not the chair, but a field leader by natural deference when on active missions.
    Iron Man can be either interesting or trite. I am very give or take on his membership at any given point, but I'm biased because I do not particularly care for Tony Stark as a "person". Where Cap leads naturally, Stark forced himself on people with a "my way or highway" attitude.
    I am most eager to see the Sentry. The limited series and the specials were quite good in my opinion, and the character was built with a lot of things I find interesting. If done well, he could be the breakout character of the book.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

And that not all of those characters are even in the first issue....
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Ah-HA! LOL...I knew we'd disagree on something eventually, Kozzi.

I love that Jessica Drew is back as Spider-Woman(I was a big fan of her series back in the late seventies/early eighties).

I think they crippled Julia Carpenter, though(I could be wrong about that)...the last time I saw her(in the new Spider-Woman series), she was in a wheelchair. I was indifferent to Julia as SW(mainly because I was a fan of Jessica), but absolutely hated the kid Spider-Woman(she's dead, BTW).

Dana

This is what I liked so much about Avengers West Coast, probably my second favorite book. They were comprised largely of B list heroes. I think it's also what made Alpha Flight work in the early days. Once we got in to C list heroes the title lost its punch. I'm a huge Julia Carpenter fan. Never cared much for the original Spider-Woman and never picked up a Spider-Woman 3 book. Even having a second string leader was a lot of the charm of WCA. Hawkeye, while an Avenger, had a different way of dealing with struggles than the shining bastion of democracy, Captain America. I really like the fact that , USAgent, a poor man's cap was on the team and never quite good enough to garner respect. So many great characters out there hanging in limbo. Kinda sad!

This is one of the pitfalls of living in the middle of [explititive deleted] nowhere....

Actually, the premise behind New Avengers looks interesting enough to pick up an issue or two, but, like it's predecessor, not sure if I'd pick it up regularly.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Original spider-woman before my super-hero time. I had liked Julia's single motherhood; brought a bit to the character
    www.kozzi.us

True....Jess was born the 1930's, played along side Philip Masters(the future Puppet Master), as a child; she was poisoned by radiation and saved by her father's spider serum; her mother was killed and her father left her with the High Evolutionary; she grew up among the New Men on Wundagore until they left Earth; out on her own, she killed her first boyfriend by accident with her venomblast and ended up joining Hydra. As a Hydra agent, she was sent to kill Nick Fury, but he convinced her to rethink her life, she quit Hydra. It's quite a backstory.

Dana

I remembered the bit of people (just women) "instinctively" not liking her or something from the occassional back issue I have. I do wonder if that will be played upon or if that bit was lost over time.
    www.kozzi.us

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I remembered the bit of people (just women) "instinctively" not liking her or something from the occassional back issue I have. I do wonder if that will be played upon or if that bit was lost over time.
    Yes....Jessica gave off some sort of pheromones that elicited attraction in most men and fear in most women(sometimes men....depending on body chemistry.....a.k.a the writer's whim). The fear response usually translated to people feeling intimidated, unnerved by her or really uncomfortable around her.

She lost the ability to give off the pheromone(along with her immunity to radiation), when she temporarilly lost her powers years ago....it was never shown to have returned with the rest of her abilities.

Dana

Jessica Drew Spider-Woman's powers were she had spider strength, spider agility like Spider-Man's. She also had a bio blast which cam out of her hands as green colored energy and she used to have the ability that her body developed a imunity to any poison used on her so the same pioson would never work twice she lost that ability when she helped save Black Goliath a friend of the Things.
    As for her having any phermones powers she does not in her original comic book series.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Jessica Drew Spider-Woman's powers were she had spider strength, spider agility like Spider-Man's. She also had a bio blast which cam out of her hands as green colored energy and she used to have the ability that her body developed a imunity to any poison used on her so the same pioson would never work twice she lost that ability when she helped save Black Goliath a friend of the Things.
    As for her having any phermones powers she does not in her original comic book series.
    Uh....You might need to read your original Spider-Womans again, Rich. The pheromone power is hinted at in issues 1, 2, 4 and 13.
    In issue #16, she finally discovers why she has such a hard time making friends(but it was a long-running sub-plot before then, all of those issues being written by Marv Wolfman) and begins taking medication to counteract the pheromones.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

She had to take medicine now to? Heres a write up that is comprehensive. http://www.marveldirectory.com/indiv...iderwomani.htm
    Richard Vasseur

Issue 16 is where she learned about the pheromones and began to take the prescription....as far as I know, she was taking the medication up until she died in issue 50.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I don't really like the idea that Spider-Woman is a spy for some unknown group. I hope it turns out she is brainwashed and not doing it freely. Spying on the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. is not something I want to see from her.
    Richard Vasseur