Thread: Because Comics Aint Just Talking Heads....

Default Because Comics Aint Just Talking Heads....

For those of you who have actually read #6 (and tsk if you haven't :P ), we've now seen the "Sophies Choice" moment.

Had you been the 7th member of the team, who would you have sided with, and for what reasons?

Let's keep this totally on topic, no *****ing about the writing, no congratulating Scott on his writing, no arguing amongst ourselves, no one word replies.

I really wanna try and get some intelligent friendly debate here.

Being the scientific type I supposedly have degrees in, I would have sided with the 'let them live' option. They hadn't been hatched yet for the most part and the few that had, showed great promise of being something other then a war mongering pillaging type...not that there's nothing wrong with the occasional pillage...if it means survival for yourself and your species. Humans aren't the only ones who do this btw...

The history lesson given of the Plodex was based mostly on hear say if I'm not mistaken...based on earlier convos about this. Walt was right when they said they got really lucky with the one Plodex they did know to have survived the initial crash (at least as they thought). What's to say that having the original Alphans hooked up to the machinery didn't impart their morals on the unhatched Plodex? It's a matter of wait and see now, I guess. I personally would have sided with MML and said let them live.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

I would have sided to keep let them live, if only based on how Marrina turned out. she was proof enough that the race has a great deal of non-evil potential.

Ben

Destroy em' all. They're a threat not of this world and must be dealt with. We have a responsibility here and I'll be damned if your getting in my way hoser!

The debate is on, convince me otherwise fellow Alphans.

I'm pretty analytical and Machavellian. Yes, Marrina turned out great due to the imprinting of Gladys(?) Smallwood and because she was (if I remember correctly) raised in a small and somewhat interbred community where people accepted genetic abnormalities.
    She was the exception to the Plodex, when she was mentally on even ground.
    When she wasn't, she nearly disembowelled Puck, attacked Namor, and turned into a destructive Leviathan.
    The other Plodex known in the Marvel Universe have all been destructive individuals. (Plodex Boy was not known by the others except for Nemesis at the time of the decision, and his capacity to disembowel Alphas when subjected to the wrong chemical cues has not been tested.)
    Omlette, anyone?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Hmmmmm. In the normal comic venacular you destroy them. But if I was in Alpha Flight (better think up a codename: Emerald Star? No. Pound or Burst? Windblaze? I'll be Burst) I'd side with the Major, Zuzha, and Centenniel. Sweep them up, toss them into the spaceship, fiddle with their genes (after all what does Walt do most often as scientist), and send them packing, on ice. Genocide just isn't in my blood.

BTW, there's a "Puck's Powers" poll at Boardhost, I voted magic.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

While the Plodex do seem to have a lot of potential, the biggest problem is that these geneticly imprinted plodex do have an overwhelming destructive nature. After all, Marrina lost her grip on quite a few occasions, including her time associating with the Avengers. So really, it seems like their geneticly ocded insticts for destruction make them highly unstable for the most part. In the end, it seems their progaming will eventually dominate them.

I still say drop a Gamma bomb on them.

but now that I think about it do we really need a bunch of Space Hulks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    and send them packing, on ice. Genocide just isn't in my blood.
    There is no "send packing" option mate, it's kill or don't kill.

You should put your own bit in, Phil.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Yeah, I was going to.
    I always like to wait till there are some answers when posing questions like this, rather than answering my own question in the first post so I don't just get people saying "I agree."

Kind of a double edged sword here. On one hand, you destroy them and you are responsible for wiping out a race. Kinda reminiscent of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. That's a tremendous responsibility to shoulder. Sure they're bent on galactic domination, but who's to say the genetic encoding of the Original Alpha Flight might not help to alter this trait. Perhaps they'll all turn out to be super powered do-gooders. Destroy them and you lose that possibility.

I'd be for keeping them alive. However, I definitely wouldn't send them all back to their home planet. As already mentioned in this thread, Walt being a biophysicist culd have a lot of fun experimenting on them. He may be able to find what makes the little time bombs go off and remove it or harness it. Destroy them and that opportunity is lost as well. Of course since they are all in a shuttle headed home and Walt has remained on earth, I guess we'll never know. Of course when Mac and Heather return with their grown child and it's Plodex spouse the experiments can begin.

To sum up, keep them alive. There's too much we can learn from them {insert maniacal evil laughter here}

Barnacle

Im actually leaning on the "destroy them all" side.

I mean, the first bunch of Plodex dopplegangers were imprinted with the Original AF too, but they still ended up on the wrong side (they were fighting ANADAF, right? So that makes them on the wrong side :P ).

Imagine how difficult it will be to try and raise a whole generation of super powered aliens who have to supress their destructive urges. I mean what if all the Plodex reach puberty and teenage angst at the same time? *shudder*

I would be destroyed them all, but I could not do it.