Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Gotta Be Kidding Me TPB

Default You Gotta Be Kidding Me TPB

ALPHA FLIGHT VOL. 1: YOU GOTTA BE
    KIDDIN' ME TPB
    Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
    Pencils & Cover by
    CLAYTON HENRY
    Bigger than Gretsky! Stranger than Strange Brew! The explosive premiere of an all-new, all-different Alpha Flight! The Canadian superteam that's given the Uncanny X-Men a run for their money returns in a shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba. Be sure not to miss the beginning of a new era, eh? Collecting ALPHA FLIGHT #1-6.
    144 PGS./MARVEL PSR…$14.99
    UPC: 5960611430-00111
    ISBN: 0-7851-1430-0

Final Order Cut-Off 10/28, (On-Sale 11/24/04)
    Alpha Flight Vol. 1: You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me TPB

Default Re: You Gotta Be Kidding Me TPB

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    ALPHA FLIGHT VOL. 1: YOU GOTTA BE
    KIDDIN' ME TPB
    Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
    Pencils & Cover by
    CLAYTON HENRY
    Bigger than Gretsky! Stranger than Strange Brew! The explosive premiere of an all-new, all-different Alpha Flight! The Canadian superteam that's given the Uncanny X-Men a run for their money returns in a shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba. Be sure not to miss the beginning of a new era, eh? Collecting ALPHA FLIGHT #1-6.

Final Order Cut-Off 10/28, (On-Sale 11/24/04)
    Alpha Flight Vol. 1: You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me TPB
    Mr Solicits writer, you are in no size shape or form the least bit funny, do you realise the can of worms you are opening with this kind of bull **** :P :P
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba
    Now THAT'S funny.

Default Re: You Gotta Be Kidding Me TPB

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Bigger than Gretsky!
    Is this really how they spelled it in the solicit? That's sacrilege! :P

-Mike

After you read that solicit, you think the writer did any kind of fact-checking?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

It is just a sollicit, the only fact checking is in the sales dates. Though they do ned to find someone who can come up with better copy than that.

Then call him a proofreader or editor and fire his arse for content and errors.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Wow, I really want tobuy AF TB with that solicitation! Can it get moreannoying or what? Gretsky...right!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

We've always assumed the first issues were written to be collected as a TPB, but damn!

Am I the only one who wishes the first AF TPB (Unless you count Asgardian Wars, which is a quarter AF) was from the Byrne era, and not this latest run?

I mean, which, really, is gonna sell more people on the comic?

- Le Messor
    As the anarchists say: “There’s no government like no government.”

I kind of like the idea behind the TPB's because it's a good way to get the kiddies into the book. I tried earlier to make a comment about the solicit but the comp went wonky on me...so here goes..

Maybe Marvel needs to invest in either a full time solicit writer from abroad, or a course for their writers to go abroad and learn the cultures for themselves. I cringe whenever I see NZ or Aussie represented in comic books...actually I cringe whenever I see Hawai'i too, because the mainlanders automatically assume, everyone is an Elvis fan and they wander around all day in grass skirts. =/
    Hell was full, so I came back.

I agree that we need to see the classic John Byrne run of Alpha in a TPB. What Marvel did for "The Asgardian Wars" and the "Uncanny X-Men" issues with Alpha's first appearances, they should do for the Byrne run as well.

BTW, did anyone get the paperback reprinting both issues of the "X-Men/Alpha Flight" limited series, called "The Gift"? It's still a great story, though I didn't care much for the cover they gave it. (Snowbird's expression looks dreadful, even beyond the artist's intention.) :P

This is somewhat good news for me - due to budget constraints, I don't goof around with picking up individual issues, so this is a good way to get my feet wet on the new series for me.

Ideally, though, I agree that a TPB of the first 12 of Vol 1 is LONG overdue.

The solicits writer would be Scott Lobdell?

Ed Brubaker: Oh yeah. I’ve been having fun watching people talking about Captain America online based on little more than the solicitation copy. I wrote the solicitation for the first issue before I’d written a single word of script. I had a pitch of where I was going to go with the book, and I wrote a solicitation that I thought was so over the top and bombastic. I just wanted to write hype, and something that would make people talk and have theories and suspicions, and all of that. But I didn’t write anything that would tell you anything about the comic, actually. In fact, I’ve pledged to myself that I’m going to write solicitations for that series that will be up to the point of misleading, so that when they buy the comic, they’re surprised.
    from
    http://www.newsarama.com/pages/Marvel/Bru_Cap.htm
    www.kozzi.us

I didn't even notice that in the Nov. solicits the TPB was there. They used the cover image from #4. Interestingly enough, this image was one that was not included in the solicits for the actual image, except a little copy in the Marvel Previews mag.

Spelling Mistake still intact

ALPHA FLIGHT VOL. 1: YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME TPB
    Written By Scott Lobdell
    Pencils & Cover By Clayton Henry

Bigger than Gretsky! Stranger than Strange Brew! The explosive premiere of an all-new, all-different Alpha Flight! The Canadian superteam that's given the Uncanny X-Men a run for their money returns in a shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba. Be sure not to miss the beginning of a new era, eh? Collecting Alpha Flight #1-6.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    The solicits writer would be Scott Lobdell?

Ed Brubaker: Oh yeah. I’ve been having fun watching people talking about Captain America online based on little more than the solicitation copy. I wrote the solicitation for the first issue before I’d written a single word of script. I had a pitch of where I was going to go with the book, and I wrote a solicitation that I thought was so over the top and bombastic. I just wanted to write hype, and something that would make people talk and have theories and suspicions, and all of that. But I didn’t write anything that would tell you anything about the comic, actually. In fact, I’ve pledged to myself that I’m going to write solicitations for that series that will be up to the point of misleading, so that when they buy the comic, they’re surprised.
    from
    http://www.newsarama.com/pages/Marvel/Bru_Cap.htm
    Maybe it's a new thing, maybe it just applies to the Avengers Dissassembled thing, but I'm pretty sure Scott said he didn't write the solicits (I may be wrong on that so feel free to mock me etc if it turns out untrue) and I know that other writers I speak to (Such as Frank Tieri) have had no say in the writing of their solicits.