Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpha Flight ... No Respect?

Canucklehead,

That's right, eh?

"Eh" tends to be used as an invitation for the other party to respond to a statement or question.

Ex: Pretty cold outside, eh?

On the topic of "eh" I don't think Puck II usues more than many people do conversationally. I would honestly say I probably use it more than her, as would many around this area. You don't even notice it in a conversation as it is so common, eh? As for her proper or not so propper use of it, Scott has said that she doesn't just use it conversationally, but as a nervous habit. I'm willing to bet that if she could speak from the woomb, she could hear as well. She no doubt picked up on her daddy's use of "eh" and it became a crutch of sorts for her.

Ben ... eh?

P.S. Kozzi, if you get sick to yer tummy when you hear that much "eh", better not head east of Quebec any time soon, eh?

I get sick to my stomach when hearing it overused inappropriately. Your explanation is good enough, but doesn't blunt my feelings. If Scott Lobdell was Canadian, I'd probably not feel so strongly about it. I am, however, an American with eyes wide open and recognize a bad stereotype when I see it. I'm not against having her say it, I just would prefer to see it used correctly, not as a joke that is stereotyping instead of funny!
    Canucklehead seems to have provided a perfect guideline for writers as to its use.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

In my family my mother uses it tons, mostly in questions or when she's confused. Like other people use 'huh'. Most people don't hear it in their speech unless it's pointed out to them, eh?

And note, Zuzha never says 'eh' in issue #6.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    No, I just felt discomfort in the stomach and the urge to vomit, and felt disgust, which suits the definition of nauseated in both American and my UK dictionary.
    So a two letter word in a fictional story makes you ill?
    Geez....

Is everything OK with you, Phil?
    Maybe I should PM this, but I'm not taking it personally.
    You've been outright hostile to a lot of people this week.
    Talk it out, son. You'll feel better.
    Technically I haven't been hostile at all, just counter-acting people's insensitive trolling and flaming by pointing out facts and my own opinion.

I feel fine and need no talking out, I'm not the one that's feeling ill by reading a fictional story about Canadian superheroes....

Feel free to PM away though.

I figure we'll see some more evolution of the characters by issue #10. Lobdell will still write in the humour as he sees fit but we've seen a lot of respect from him for his characters, especially Centenniel.

He's had Princeton be a police officer, military man, and we've seen his 3 powers plus his views on some important history. He cares about people and loves life, and is looking forward to his future as a hero.

He'll reveal Zuzha's powers soon (I'm betting on at least a glimpse in #7 in two weeks) and has her character pretty well fleshed out already. She is starting to like being an AF hero already but is unsure.

Sadler may be a 'boy scout' but he's sincere in his duty and has a backbone. Like Rutherford he wants to be an AF hero. He has a lot more than just being nice to use.

p.s. And does anyone think the solicits to AF 7 and 8 are backwards? Of course the solicits may make no sense, again. Unlike the covers, which 5 out of 6 have had something to do with the story (envious, X fans?) :P

Issues 7 and 8 will be more enjoyable than people think. And it's good having ladymako, varo, kozzi, Dana, Ben, Phil, Legerd et al along for the ride
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

What has me unsettled is the overuse and inappropriate use.
    I know Scott's trying to be funny. I also know that there is a butt to every joke. If you say anything funny other than a pun on words, SOMEONE is bound to be upset.
    It's also true that stereotypes become stereotypes because they're true. A lot of Canadians (and others) say "eh?" Enough Canadians do, that it is a stereotype.
    It can be used well in characterization. It helped give Puck1 a unique voice in the team book, and it was almost always used appropriately, eh?
    Scott use in the early issues was beyond appropriate use, and done so frequently as to not be funny, but be a bad stereotype.
    I'm pretty mainstream, and I've gotten myself in trouble because people misinterpretted humor and/or made more of it than should have been (like repeated a one-liner out of context as if it was said solely to insult someone else. I do not respect political correctness boundaries in my attempts at humor, but respect that there has to be some limit out of respect for people's feelings.
    But I cringe anytime any time I see a group being portrayed inappropriately.
    I'm Polish descent. I found Scott's Polish character from World Tour funny. But if that character turned up constantly and never had any use other thean to be stupid, that would be an insult. If Captain Britain eats limes or Falcon eats watermelons in every appearance, those would be insults.
    His humor was perpetuating a stereotype, and that was what got me more unsettled each time it happened.
    Issue 6 didn't seem to have that problem. It was first traded around here circa #2 or 3, so maybe by pointing this out, we've helped the writer along?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Default Re: Alpha Flight ... No Respect?

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    You know, this is really sad.

It wasn't until 1991 when I went to a then-AF writer's guest appearance at a comics store, that I learned an awful truth. Said writer, (who shall remain nameless), said that everyone at Marvel "hated" Alpha Flight, that he "hated" it also, and that he only took the book because no one else would touch it. (The writer left the book not long after that.)
    Sounds like Fabian N.
    Man was he an *******. I met him at a con up here and he was just a complete jerk.

Ok, eh?
    For the best usage of the word "eh" Bob and Doug McKenzie. They use correctly everytime, never out of place. Maybe a touch often but always correctly.

Ok, so, Good Day ,eh?