Thread: An open letter to Scott Lobdell

Default An open letter to Scott Lobdell

Sir, my children like Alpha Flight. Zuzha Yu, Major Mapleleaf, Yukon Jack, Centenniel, Nemesis, Sasquatch is why. They like the characters. They do not like the goofiness, especially in issue #6 (Like everyone else, they expected a thrilling and/or action-packed conclusion, not a bunch of arguing, semi-flashbacks, and Looney Tunes "talking to the audience" crap. Sorry about the language).

Like me they want to know why Zuzha Yu is called a superhero when so far all she can be called is a Canadian acrobat. What can Zuzha really do?

My boys are 4 and 7. Until Alpha Flight came out they didn't read comics. Like many people they think Alpha Flight is about a team of superheroes out to save people's lives. Humor is OK but should not be the point. I agree with my boys on all counts (OK, I'm not so big a fan of Yukon Jack like they are).

Can you please respond to our concerns here and tell us flat out if you view ANADAF as a goofy comedy book worthy of Hamtaro or as a superhero comic worthy of Justice League?

I really, REALLY want your Alpha Flight to succeed but it can't if issue #6 is going to be standard fare. Alpha Flight needs to be about heroes being heroes mostly, not "goofynuts" as the older boy says. I hope you can answer our concerns.

PLEASE at least answer my two questions.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Default Re: An open letter to Scott Lobdell

This post has been moderated - Do NOT tell people what they can and can't read/get enjoyment from.

Sorry if I'm truly annoying anyone. I can get pretty discouraged when I read how many people don't like AF #6 or AF at all. So I came here and made some 'pleas'. My boys are asleep and who knows, maybe they're dreaming of meeting Zuzha and Lou Sadler right now.

I still hope Mr. Lobdell can ease our general concerns. Ben and Phil and Lightning Strike at Boardhost give us the opportunity to talk together, share views, and ask questions, and I'm glad we have an Alpha Flight to talk about. I want to be able to do so until all my children are old enough to think that comics are uncool, which will be at least 15 years from now

I'll be buying 7, 8, 9, 10,..... anyway. My boys wouldn't want it any other way. And my wife likes it too. I better go away now.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Mokole, thanks for writing that, you have expressed my concerns in it a lot more articulate and eloquent way than I could have.

As for annoying anyone, haven't seen anything like that yet.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I really, REALLY want your Alpha Flight to succeed but it can't if issue #6 is going to be standard fare.
    -
    This post has been moderated - Do NOT tell people what they can and can't read/get enjoyment from.
    -
    As for annoying anyone, haven't seen anything like that yet.
    Actually, sounds like he's been annoying crozack, whose had at least two out of his 16 or so posts moderated--both in response to Mokole.

Mokole, my SO-NOT "liberal democrat" advice is to not apologize for expressing your opion, especially when you expressed it in a pretty classy appeal.

I didn't get your quoted statement as telling people what to like at all. I think we can all see a movie and say, "this one's gonna bomb."

Marvel's policy is that even most ongoing series are limited series extended a few issues at a time. AF is only a certainty through 12 at this point.

Anyone can offer their opionions to this statement: all of us that express what we don't like in specific ways are helping Scott and his editors to pinpoint was is and is not working among readers.

Mokole, you did it in the best way possible (in my opinion as an occasional writer): you also told him what was WORKING for you and your boys.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I concur with kozzi24.

I didn't get your quoted statement as telling people what to like at all. I think we can all see a movie and say, "this one's gonna bomb."
    And let's not forget, there are people out there who liked "Gigi" Somehwere in the world, it probably someone's all-time favorite movie, and they have every right to there own tastes.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.