Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: You Gotta Be Kidding Me : Or Are We Kidding Ourselves ?

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Are you seeing powerrs or implications that she has powers?
    In issue #4 she says "powers I'm not supposed to have" and "promised to explain how I got my special abilities"

The second is more vague but both clearly state she's not just an acrobat, she has powers and gymnastics ain't a power - just watch the Olympics to see that born out
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

So we haven't SEEN powers. After six issues, that is a definite lapse.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

There's only been a hint at one possible power: her speaking from the womb. Be that as it may, we should've seen something by now. Maybe her power is something low-key, something that wouldn't necessarily be used in a combat situation?

Then again, if Walter knows of her powers and their use(s), why would he have recruited her into Alpha Flight? Not just because of her familial connections. I certainly wouldn't recruit any of Heather's siblings into Alpha Flight just because they're related to Heather. And why recruit someone who's just merely acrobatically adept (with little to no combat training - unless you count beating down drunks in a bar combat training ) into a team when you could just as easily draft a few Mounties or Canadian military men? At least they'd stand a fighting chance.

Does anyone see what I'm getting at here?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    There's only been a hint at one possible power: her speaking from the womb. Be that as it may, we should've seen something by now. Maybe her power is something low-key, something that wouldn't necessarily be used in a combat situation?

?
    I don't know if she spoke from the womb she either had a really loud voice and an extremely elevated IQ for a fetus or she has telepathic/empathic abilities. How else are you gonna talk from the womb? I guess she could have kicked in Morse code, but that seems like a little bit of a stretch to me.

Barnacle

AFAIC...Zuzha is boring, She's this volume's Murmur(in my opinion)...and I hated Murmur too.

Again...I love Alpha Flight, but I'd rather it go into limbo than be known to the general non-AF fan as one of Marvel's comedic fluff books. AF is being written as a joke and it will be taken as such by the public....that REALLY bothers me....I don't know why it doesn't bother others, as much.

If you're a newer fan...I can understand, but those older fans who are just settling for the comedy version....why in heaven's name would you do that? I apologize for the rant...I'm just very unsatisfied with Marvel in general and AF is one of my old favorites...I feel it's being ruined and if it's cancelled because of this comedy crap, it may never come back. AFAIC, changes need to be made or the book will be forever known as a joke.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    AFAIC...Zuzha is boring, She's this volume's Murmur(in my opinion)...and I hated Murmur too.

Again...I love Alpha Flight, but I'd rather it go into limbo than be known to the general non-AF fan as one of Marvel's comedic fluff books. AF is being written as a joke and it will be taken as such by the public....that REALLY bothers me....I don't know why it doesn't bother others, as much.

If you're a newer fan...I can understand, but those older fans who are just settling for the comedy version....why in heaven's name would you do that? I apologize for the rant...I'm just very unsatisfied with Marvel in general and AF is one of my old favorites...I feel it's being ruined and if it's cancelled because of this comedy crap, it may never come back. AFAIC, changes need to be made or the book will be forever known as a joke.

Dana
    I can only speak for myself, but I am in now way "settling" for this series. I am enjoying it for what it is, which is admitedly different from other versions of Alpha Flight. The book really isn't a joke book, or a comedy book, it's a comic book with a stronger than usual comedic side. If new things and new styles were tried, things would get very stagnent very fast. I have been enjoying what Scott has been doing with the book, and will defend it in a heartbeat.

Ben

I really think the comedy on this volume works! It's nice to have a book that isn't so serious all the time.

I've found it to be an absolute pleasure to read.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    I really think the comedy on this volume works! It's nice to have a book that isn't so serious all the time.
    I've found the exact opposite. The jokes are too infrequent, too obvious and too out of place to work.

The one gag that made me gag, and to me is symptomatic of what is wrong with Scott Lobdell's writing is the "floating head" joke from issue #6. To me, this sort of humour is not funny, nor smart. Lobdell writes so that the characters are aware that they are just characters in a comic book, but never uses it for anything more than (attempted) cheap laughs. If he pushed it further maybe it might be funny, or at the very least somewhat interesting. However, he never does, so it never is.
    Sob Story
    My daily autobiographical comic strip.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk

I've found it to be an absolute pleasure to read.
    I agree in having a book that has lighter moments...I just don't like it being taken to this degree.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    I can only speak for myself, but I am in now way "settling" for this series. I am enjoying it for what it is, which is admitedly different from other versions of Alpha Flight. The book really isn't a joke book, or a comedy book, it's a comic book with a stronger than usual comedic side. If new things and new styles were tried, things would get very stagnent very fast. I have been enjoying what Scott has been doing with the book, and will defend it in a heartbeat.

Ben
    That's a different stand than you took on page 2 of this thread, Ben. You stated that you'd rather have any AF, than no AF. It's probably not what you meant, but it sounds like you're settling. If you really do like the series as it is, that's fine. It's how you feel and I'm not trying to change anyone's viewpoint.....I'm just stating my own.

Someone had stated here or elsewhere(not sure in what thread), that folks sounded like they were pretending to like the series, because they didn't want it to be cancelled again. It's not selling well, because(and this is just my personal observation) it's not Alpha Flight(at least in the truest sense)....or not the Alpha Flight most fans want to see, which from what I've read here and elsewhere....is that fans want the original team around in some way(a part of the book they were meant to be in....not sent off into space/ignored/killed off/whatever).

I tend to compare AF to the Fantastic Four....You can have guest members and temporary fill-ins(like She-Hulk, Power Man, Medusa or Crystal), but without most of the original Four....it's just not the FF. I'm not a fan of the Avengers, but I feel the same way about them....without some of the originals(or Captain America)....it's not the Avengers(if it's just seven strangers, picked to live in Avengers Mansion, then it's the Real World-Avengers). I hope that makes sense, but it's how I feel.

The AF relaunches without the original AF, just don't do it for me....I'm tired of scads of new characters being called Alpha Flight(and never being developed, then cancelled because nobody knows them or cares to know them....IMO, example: the sad bunch of rip-off "heroes" of Vol. 2), when all I want to see is the old characters given their due....it IS their book, after all.....they were here first(and best).

Dana

Sometimes change is good, sometimes not. For FF it makes no sense to have new team members since the whole premise for the book was that these 4 people accidentally got mutated by cosmic rays at the same time and nobody else did. Relatively speaking they're unique.

The Avengers are more 'flavour of the month'. Captain America and Iron Man are the big 2 but who else is that big? Avengers don't have access to characters who fit well into Team Mondo like the Justice League (Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Batman, and Wonder Woman).

I don't see Thor, Hulk, Wolverine, or Spider-Man fitting into the Avengers role. Sure they are big characters but often I ask, "and how is this possible? Hulk Smash, Parker is a kid in a city who doesn't leave the city, Thor is a goofy myth guy..." Secondary characters like Black Panther, Giant Man, Ant Man, She-Hulk, Wonder Man, Wasp, Yellowjacket, Scarlet Witch, and so on populate the Avengers, not unlike AF. Same with the X-Men, the original idea can encompass a lot of people over time (Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, Storm,...)

And although a lot of people like Byrne AF a lot of people don't. I'm clearly no Hudson fan. I don't like the Quicksilver knockoffs much. I think the current AF roster is better than that. My one beef so far is Zuzha has no powers, why is she considered a superhero blah blah. I'm buying this AF as much for the characters as the fact it's AF. Honestly I wouldn't be buying this AF if it was Hudson, Heather, Shaman, Puck, Sasquatch, Twins, Snowbird, and/or Marrina. I mostly find those characters derivative and boring.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

all of the characters were crappy and derivative when they were invented. i mean byrne said it himself, he made them up to go toe to toe with the xmen nothing more. but then... magically inspite of the marvel universe, they got to be interesting with personalities and problems.
    i truly think that AF was the precurser to mulligan's xforce (another theory for another time).

i would settle for a mixed bag. new and old. really it just depends. adequate characterization and some relatively interesting plot and they could make a book better than most of the marvels happening right now.
    i don't think this book is bad (i actually rather enjoyed it when i took it for what it is) but i would like to see some of the older characters. if lobdell wants, have the old characters be amusing. it is certainly possible. but i guess i agree, walt is good, but it still isn't really alpha flight (even though i get that conceptually alpha flight is a gov't team full of whoever they say).

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben

Ben
    That's a different stand than you took on page 2 of this thread, Ben. You stated that you'd rather have any AF, than no AF. It's probably not what you meant, but it sounds like you're settling. If you really do like the series as it is, that's fine. It's how you feel and I'm not trying to change anyone's viewpoint.....I'm just stating my own.
    My statement earlier in the thread was not in reference to my own opinions of the book, it was in reff to those who were willing to just blindly turn thier backs on the book if they didn't like the current direction. My own opinion is that it's good, but in times past I have stuck through some bad times when I did not like the books direction, and am glad for it, as it came back around to a direction I did like not too long after. I kept supporting the book regardless. At that time you could say that I settle, or you could say that I took the optimistic stance and waited out a stretch or writing or art that I didn't like as much.

What really gets me are all of these people who are SURPRISED that the original Alpha Flight members aren't regular in the book, when the book CLEARLY says in the title: All-New, All-Different Alpha Flight. Call me crazy, but I was expecting the book to focus on new characters.

Also, for anyone to say that the original characters haven't gotten their due is just ridiculous. Not to say that they've been developed nearly as completely as the X-Men or the Avengers or the Fantastic Four, but it's not like they were here one minute and gone the next.

I like to try out new characters. It's fun. I was fond of Radius, Flex, Murmur, Ghost Girl, AND Manbot from the second series, and I was fond of Earthmover (and I can't see why people seem to hate him so much... what's he ever done to anyone?). And I love these new characters. They're unique and they have a very playful, funny dynamic that keeps me grinning while fully expecting them to kick total ass.

Someone pointed out before that the original Alpha Flight was derivative, and created simply to flesh out Logan's backstory and give the X-Men some new blood to tussle with. Now while I know that Alpha Flight's original members have really come into their own, I know that the same thing can happen to the NEW members if people would just give them a chance. Believe me, if Alpha Flight as a whole had JUST come out instead of in the 70s-80s (the date escapes me), I'd be willing to bet that many of you wouldn't give them a second glance. I probably wouldn't. But I KNOW better now. And that's why I'm sticking with the All-New, All-Different Alpha Flight.