Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: You Gotta Be Kidding Me : Or Are We Kidding Ourselves ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    No, this is NOT the same Alpha Flight as we all grew up with...but guess what? That Alpha Flight got Cancelled. The relaunches have been different to try and find a niche for AF. If all you want is to see the old style AF, and you aren't willing to accept the new book for what it is, and enjoy it for what it is, then go ahead and read your back issues over and over again. Personally, I'll take any AF over no AF. If you are a fan, you will do what you can to support the book, and express your opinions to Marvel if you are interested in having the style change. If there are enough people who express the same opinions, then it might change. Isn't that hope and positivity much better than blind negativity, and abandoning something that you you love?
    Ben
    Ben, I can see some logic in the points you made, but I do disagree with a few of them.

Yes...the original AF was cancelled...after 130 issues. Why should the book continue to be all-new, all different every time it is relaunched? Why do they keep trying to find a niche for it?.....It already HAS a niche, for heaven's sake!! I seem to recall many folks(including me) were angry that more of the original AF was not in Vol. 2, as well.....why didn't Marvel listen then? Why do they continue to experiment?

You may be able to just settle for any "Alpha Flight" rather than no AF, but I don't see it that way. If I were a fan, you say? I AM A FAN of Alpha Flight, not the punchline that Marvel is trying to turn them into. New characters don't bother me, but this series is ridiculous. I love new characters(heroes and villains)....I loved Talisman, when she was introduced, Purple Girl, Dream Queen....and many more....I even like Centennial and Mapleleaf Jr....the others, I don't care for(although they've not been developed much either).

I DO accept the new book for what it is....a comic written by a guy who is wasting time getting where he's going with the story, making fun of Canada, Canadian superheroes...and showing the original team to be a group who can't handle a ship(that's a lot older than 3000 years, Scott) they handled quite well, many years ago. Scott doesn't seem to have any respect fo AF.....why shuffle the originals off, while making another new team of goofballs for us to laugh at? I think I will write Marvel, though....you have a good point there.

Dana

Please don't get me wrong Dana, I didn't by any means intend to imply you are not a fan, if that were the case, you would not hold your views as passionately as you do. The message was typed in a hurry as I was being rushed out the door.

I guess the overall intent was for me to say that in my mind we have all stuck through AF thick and thin. We dealt with some really low times, and they have come back up. Personally I don't feel like I am settling or making due with this series as is, I love it, however for those who don't I feel it is worth supporting.

I, as a proud Canadian don't feel like the book is mocking me, my country, or my culture. It does stretch and make fun of some steriotypes. It's mocking the steriotypes, not the culture. I know for a fact that Scott is a long time AF fan. He wants this book to work as much as the rest of us. He's been putting a lot of time, effor, thought and care into creating something for the fans to love, as he is a fan himself.

You see I am by nature a very positive person. I see the glass half full. This past week or so there has been an abnormal amout of negativity on the forum, which really came up out of the blue. The positive, friendly nature was/is something that sets this place apart from many of the others out there. I get deffensive when it come to either negativity about AF, or a negative feel on this great place we have formed here.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67

Ben, I can see some logic in the points you made, but why I disagree with a few of them.

Yes...the original AF was cancelled...after 130 issues. Why should the book continue to be all-new, all different every time it is relaunched? Why do they keep trying to find a niche for it?.....It already HAS a niche, for heaven's sake!! I seem to recall many folks(including me) were angry that more of the original AF was not in Vol. 2, as well.....why didn't Marvel listen then? Why do they continue to experiment?

You may be able to just settle for any "Alpha Flight" rather than no AF, but I don't see it that way. If I were a fan, you say? I AM A FAN of Alpha Flight, not the punchline that Marvel is trying to turn them into. New characters don't bother me, but this series is ridiculous. I love new characters(heroes and villains)....I loved Talisman, when she was introduced, Purple Girl, Dream Queen....and many more....I even like Centennial and Mapleleaf Jr....the others, I don't care for(although they've not been developed much either).

I DO accept the new book for what it is....a comic written by a guy who is wasting time getting where he's going with the story, making fun of Canada, Canadian superheroes...and showing the original team to be a group who can't handle a ship(that's a lot older than 3000 years, Scott) they handled quite well, many years ago. Scott doesn't seem to have any respect fo AF.....why shuffle the originals off, while making another new team of goofballs for us to laugh at? I think I will write Marvel, though....you have a good point there.

Dana

You see I am by nature a very positive person. I see the glass half full. This past week or so there has been an abnormal amout of negativity on the forum, which really came up out of the blue. The positive, friendly nature was/is something that sets this place apart from many of the others out there. I get deffensive when it come to either negativity about AF, or a negative feel on this great place we have formed here.
    Ben, I think that is the problem with a lot of fandom, the lack of optimisim and positive attitude towards something people say they love. All you ever hear are fans *****ing and moaning about what's wrong with a series, and hardly ever what's good about it. I must admit I fall into that attitude a lot, but the more I think about it I want to try and avoid it from now on.

As I started this thread, and have not been overly impressed so far, I shall refrain from commenting on any more issues, unless positive. That way my *****ing and moaning won't offend.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

There's a world of difference between *****ing and moaning and giving complaint with concrete examples of what didn't work for you and why. I have seen bits of improvement on things that were complained about intelligently on earlier issues.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    There's a world of difference between *****ing and moaning and giving complaint with concrete examples of what didn't work for you and why. I have seen bits of improvement on things that were complained about intelligently on earlier issues.
    I agree. There do seem to be changes in style based on what people said. Maybe, hopefully, that'll mean issues 7-beyond will have less cornball stuff and more action. Or simply more seriousness when danger warrants it.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Default Re: You Gotta Be Kidding Me : Or Are We Kidding Ourselves ?

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    I haven't got #6 yet, but from what I can garner, general consensus is that it pretty much sucked. Are we out of our loyalty to the book and characters making excuses for what is at the end of the day a pretty bad comic and is Lobdell abusing our loyalty with this mish mash of tardy humour?
    I must admit, I drop by here only after having read the newest issue. There were times when I read peoples' reviews and thought they sounded like someone trying to convince him or herself that this was actually a good book. I don't KNOW that, and I admit I could be totally wrong, but it was sometimes the impression I had.

We all WANT to love it...

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    But don't blame Scott in entirety. I remember an early interview that stated he had made two pitches to Marvel, AF and "Hellions" and he was told to combine the two.
    Good point. He may be a little restricted in what he has to work with. And no one can question his enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    The main thing that I'd say that needs addressing is the bloody solicits.
    They do nothing at all for the book.
    Oh, God, those are painful and borderline insulting. Who the hell do we write to for that?

I think the solicits are a bit absurd as well....and frankly...a turn off. I also think Del's starting this thread was a good thing....it may have a somewhat negative air to it, but not overly so(I even pointed out a couple of the things I LIKE about the book). I'm not digging the book(overall), but I love Alpha Flight.....such is my dilemma. I'll probably have to be content with the odd issue here and there, that strikes my fancy(like the issue with Flashback).

Dana

Edited for those pesky typos....grrrrr!

I figure I'll be sticking in for the long haul. Only things that can really drive me away:

- it gets goofier
    - Zuzha has no powers and is just eye candy
    - action occurs in less than 25% of the issues

I guess that's it. I really want Zuzha and MML to be great characters but great characters in superhero comics either have great powers or above average human powers with something else (Judd's fighting ability, languages, understanding of magic, and excellent experience, Batman's technology and drive).

After all, I don't want to be reduced to hoping Northstar's Alpha Squadron House team has a cool Canadian on it. I'm not crazy about Wolverine being the only 'Canadian' in mainstream Marveldom when Alpha Flight is on the wayside.

So I'll keep my Alpha Flight buy ups going. Only a week and a half to #7 and then #8, and that Flashback storyline in 9-12, and then....

Would be nice if Mr. Lobdell posted here again soon.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

There were times when I read peoples' reviews and thought they sounded like someone trying to convince him or herself that this was actually a good book. I don't KNOW that, and I admit I could be totally wrong, but it was sometimes the impression I had.
    Same here.

Honestly, if it was to change direction, it would probably have a hard time holding my interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    - Zuzha has no powers and is just eye candy
    I don't know where people are getting this notion from.

I'm seeing powers.

Are you seeing powerrs or implications that she has powers?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.