Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: You Gotta Be Kidding Me : Or Are We Kidding Ourselves ?

The main thing that I'd say that needs addressing is the bloody solicits.
    They do nothing at all for the book.

The AF series honestly needs to change to survive. I personally like it, and have been enjoying it, but the numbers speak for themselves eh? There are many of us that will be loyal to AF no matter what, but would rather see it take a new direction. Honestly though, waterver you opinions on how the book should be are, express them to Marvel. Send those letters in, let marvel know that you do care enough about the book and the characters to want to see it survive. Let the company know what the fans most want to see, whatever direction you want to see the book go in.

Ben

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John A.
    I think the best way to descrilbe this series is:

The ANADAF is to Alpha Flight, what "B****** *** R****" was to the Batman movie franchise.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Film That Dare Not Mention It's Name!
    Stone The Unclean One!

*PUff, puff, pant...*
    You said it you actually said it. *retch* *shudder*....

I'm okay now.

He Mentioned it by name! Let's get him!
    Destroy them all!!!

Sorry...

I'll calm down soon...

- Le Messor
    "Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."

New Recruit

It's nice to know I'm not alone in my misgivings about Alpha's most recent incarnation. I've really enjoyed the new characters. I think the designs are solid, the origins are innovative, and the personalities aren't the usual cookie-cutter swipes Marvel has come to rely on so heavily in recent years.

I desperately want to see the book succeed and find myself terribly disheartened when it fails so resolutely to reach (what I perceive) is its potential. There are more than a few of us out there that are tired of 'Nu Marvel' and would jump at the chance for an old fashion super-hero yarn sans all the Authority, Ultimates, and New X-men influences.

What bothers me is that all the pieces for that kind of old fashioned romp are right there in plain sight but are being constantly obscured behind such forced attempts at comedy. Light-hearted humour is inherent in the concept itself. Don't try so hard. It's distracting.

I actually enjoyed this issue. Yes the humor was a bit forced and out of place and the end seemed a bit rushed... But other then that, I have no problem with the ending. I didn't find it anti-climantic. With all of the unoriginality in the industry out there today, it's actually nice to be surprised by a book these days. If anything I found the ending a bit old school marvel. When was the last time you saw Hudson smile?

I believe this makes way for great potential future stories. You can't assume Lobdell wrote the first arc without having a plan. Everything happens for a reason. The fact that Snowbird gets a revamp is enough evidence to show that the originals will return at some point. Meanwhile the new recruits can grow and learn without having "Uncanny" look over their shoulders all the time.

Yes the humor isn't always bang on, but at least he's trying to be different then all the other books out there. What would you prefer? The old group fighting for Mutant rights? Fight Apocolypes by issue #3? What better way to learn about new characters then to see where they stand on certain moral issues instead of beating the crap out of some villain right off the bat. The villains will come. The powers will be explained. At least now we know WHO our heroes are.

I predict the powers will be explained in the next two issues. They sound like action issues to me. Wow, something to look forward to instead of having everything given away in the first couple issues. I'm very excited about this series and hopefully poeple will stick around and give it a chance before labelling it a failer before it's barely begun! (I'm talking about the 10% drop in sales per issue, not anyone here)

Anywho, that's me 37 cents.
    D.

I'll still pick up the book, out of loyalty, but I am hoping Scott is paying attention to the fans thoughts on this and does consider making some changes in the future to fit his audience.

I'm all for letting a story develop at its own pace, it's more the aborted action that frustrated me. No, I don't expect every book to be wall to wall fisticuffs, but everytime there was about to be a fight scene, it was edited, preempted or merely abreviated. It's like Scott was being a tease with the action. He'll have to fill the next two books with a little of the ultra-violence to make up for the lack of it through the first six. Besides, how are we to discover what the characters can do if they never do anything?!

I took your advice Ben and sent an e-mail saying what I liked and didn't like and what I would like to see changed. I even challenged Scott to write a storyline of epic proportions, the kind we only see in Avengers or X-men. Hopefully, the idea will get stuck in his head, and he'll come up with something. The next step will be to snail mail them and request a few villain appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    bad end to a 6 issue story arc, and next issue is alpha fighting.......

wax statues.

*sigh*
    a) Bad in your opinion. I enjoyed it.
    b) Have you read Scott's scripts for next issue? Have you? Do you know for sure it's sigh-worthy?

exactly. bad in my opinion, never said my opinion should be everyones else.

also the fact that next issues villians are "wax statues" just doesn't rank up their of the heiarchy of marvel villians.

although i am sure there will be someone behind manipulating them.

be a fan not a fanatic. i have been around since volume 1 #1 when i was 8 years old, no one wants to see this series succeed as much as me, i just hope things turn around quickly and the team is treated with a ounce of respect.

and i would love to hear your synopsis on the script for next issue, since you seem to think it's possible for fans to get early versions of scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    exactly. bad in my opinion, never said my opinion should be everyones else.
    Technically you did, because you never stated it was an/your opinion.
    You said it WAS a bad ending, implying that as a fact.

also the fact that next issues villians are "wax statues" just doesn't rank up their of the heiarchy of marvel villians.
    You cannot say this without having read it though, surely???

i just hope things turn around quickly and the team is treated with a ounce of respect.
    They're a new team though!!!
    Why do things have to turn around?

and i would love to hear your synopsis on the script for next issue, since you seem to think it's possible for fans to get early versions of scripts.
    Never once stated I'd read it or know anything about it, or that I think it's possible for fans to get early versions.
    You're the one who seems convinced that it's going to be sigh-worthy, three weeks before it's out.
    The only way to know if it was sigh-worthy would be to have seen it, surely?
    I'm open and waiting to actually have the issue in my hand before flaming and trolling it(not accusing you of such, just a general statement of my belief system).

In regards to the comment about the team not being treated with respect... how exactly have they been treated disrespectfully? In my estimation, they've been treated with a LOT of respect, considering that the original Alpha Flight is allowing them the honor and responsibility as serving as their country's first line of defense against superpowered threats.

Also, respect is not given, it's EARNED. They're all still very new, with the exception of Walter and Nemesis. They're all still wet behind the ears. With time will come the respect that you don't seem to perceive they're already getting.

I can't in good conscience continue to buy this book...I may pick up 7, but that may be all, if the bad story-telling continues. The art's great, but not THAT great.

The ending was terrible....not worth all the build up(what there was of it....more like standing around picking their noses). Scott's vision of AF has really disappointed me. I really despise the "written for trade, dragging everything out and wasting comic space" style....I won't apologize for being irked by it.....I'm paying three bucks for this comic!!!

I love Alpha Flight(the real one) and I despise the clowns that have replaced them. Not that I hate the new characters....just the whole idea of making every issue of AF a joke.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I can't in good conscience continue to buy this book...I may pick up 7, but that may be all, if the bad story-telling continues. The art's great, but not THAT great.

The ending was terrible....not worth all the build up(what there was of it....more like standing around picking their noses). Scott's vision of AF has really disappointed me. I really despise the "written for trade, dragging everything out and wasting comic space" style....I won't apologize for being irked by it.....I'm paying three bucks for this comic!!!

I love Alpha Flight(the real one) and I despise the clowns that have replaced them. Not that I hate the new characters....just the whole idea of making every issue of AF a joke.

Dana

It's really too bad you feel that way Dana. I kind of see comic book buying like voting. If you don't vote, you loose the right to complain about the government, and if you don't buy a comic, you loose the right to complain about it. Why not do something constructive, rather than destructive if you aren't enjoying it? Honestly people, the overall attitude of the "nay sayers" makes me question a few things. As a fan, would you rather not support the book, to keep it going, under the hopes it will later be more to you liking? (rather than an other cancelled book). Wouldn't it be better if you bought the book, and with each issue expressed you concerns to Marvel in a constructive way? All this negative attitude I've been seeing will accomplish is for us to loose our AF title, and probably for good this time.

No, this is NOT the same Alpha Flight as we all grew up with...but guess what? That Alpha Flight got Cancelled. The relaunches have been different to try and find a niche for AF. If all you want is to see the old style AF, and you aren't willing to accept the new book for what it is, and enjoy it for what it is, then go ahead and read your back issues over and over again. Personally, I'll take any AF over no AF. If you are a fan, you will do what you can to support the book, and express your opinions to Marvel if you are interested in having the style change. If there are enough people who express the same opinions, then it might change. Isn't that hope and positivity much better than blind negativity, and abandoning something that you you love?

I'm sure that rant needs proofing, but I gotta run.

Ben

I disagree with Ben on a few points here;

I don't see that buying a comic gives you the right to complain about it; You CHOSE to buy it, no-one forced you. If you hate it and feel cheated/like you wated your money that's your own fault.

If you don't like what you're reading - stop buying it; sales speak volumes. Why spend money on something you hate?

Well, as I see it action is needed. Not every issue but it's kind of silly to say 'Major Mapleleaf has biocentric power blasts' in issue #2 and as of issue #6 we have no idea what that looks like, how it's produced, what it does, etc. Does he use his hands, his eyes, his torso? Could it knock down a wall, or pulverize one?

And we know Zuzha has powers as of issue #3, What we have no idea. Can she increase strength, understand any language, talk to animals, shield herself from psychic powers of any kind, use magic, defeat magic, change shape, stealth modes...?

It's like Cyclops never using his eyebeam. How many issues could his character last without opening the visor and doing what he exists in comics for? We don't read Alpha Flight to see them go grocery shopping, we want them to be the heroes and do hero things.

OK so the Podex were eggs and didn't need fighting. Will the wax statues? Whatever threat shows up in issue #9? I certainly expect it.

Maybe Lobdell thought Ross would be the better one to do action so that's why he gets 7 and 8. Then we'll see power blasts and Zuzha's powers that got her on AF in the first place.

I have high hopes for this Alpha Flight. I intend to push and see it through to at least issue #50. If Scott reads this he'll know why.

Go Zuzha!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.