Thread: Alpha Flight Mary Sue characters?

Default Alpha Flight Mary Sue characters?

I already mentioned this in the "Abandoned Fanfic Ideas" topic, but I was wondering about something.

Many fans are hostile to the idea of "Mary Sue" fanfic characters: that is, a character created solely by the fanfic author. This character is not a part of the official published continuity of the super-hero team, but is usually the author's "stand-in" who, more often than not, is well-loved by the established characters, and is generally perfect herself/himself.

Is the reason that fans are so hostile to "Mary Sues" because they want to read about the established characters, not someone else's avatar? Or is it because "Mary Sues" are often so impossibly heroic and perfect?

All right, I'll fess up. I'd like to write another Lita Wu story, but hesitate because I think she may be construed as a "Mary Sue" character, because she's related to the Hudsons and is loved by Alpha Flight. But then, what is a Mary Sue character anyway? Opinions?

I don't really know, I just recently learned what was a Mary-Sue. I must admit I do a lot of Mary-Sue characters, but they are only in my head As for storywise, I think a character that save the day and know-it-all are very annoying. I think for my part, I would be interested in seing your story if you don't make her save the day and that she's maybe not so much loved by everyone.

Default Alpha Flight Mary Sue characters?

Thank you, Sylvie! What I want to say is still in my mind, but I hope to do an outline and synopsis soon. And as for everyone not loving her, good idea! A little conflict never hurt a story. As a matter of fact, without conflict, there would not be a story!

Oh I wanna see your ideas on this, luv. I explained to Sylvie a bit ago what a 'Mary Sue' is and tried to assure her that while very original, her character in the fic she pointed out is NOT one of said dreaded characters.

I only wish I had saved to disc a similar symposium I wrote on the subject a few years back. lol I mod a few anime lists and the Mary Sue is far more prevelent then an actual character fic. Not that all original characters are bad...just most of them. =/

Luv Jo
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Hi Birdygirl....I think that fan's "hostility" may very well be due in part to the very points you bring up(character loved by all, perfect, having some sort of relationship to a member or members...frequently it's a very intimate relationship....i.e."Mary Sue" and Sasquatch being lovers in a story)....in addition to many fans thinking less of the author, for adding a character that is blatantly the author him/herself, just in a fictional(and frequently) super-powered form. It's mainly looked upon as being on the sad/pathetic side(please take no offense).

I've read some fan-fic stories and thought...."Wow...this person really, really needs to get a life." Many times the stories come across as silly, teen(even though the author may be an "adult") fantasies that make many fans cringe.

This is only my viewpoint about some of the fan-fiction I've read(mostly sci-fi), but it IN NO WAY means I feel this way about all fan-fiction....or anybody's fan-fic here...since I haven't read very much comic-related fan-fic.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by ladymako71
    Oh I wanna see your ideas on this, luv. I explained to Sylvie a bit ago what a 'Mary Sue' is and tried to assure her that while very original, her character in the fic she pointed out is NOT one of said dreaded characters.
    Jo, I did not created Solstice, Someone else did, but I did give her more depth (I think) As a character, she was wrote by many in the 2nd flight run robin, but her personality/ background was still malleable or undefined. I at least made sure that the external element would not link the character to me, but in personality, I don't know, I think I may have but more of me than I wanted to.

Ah ok, I got the impression that you had created her.

I think it's allowed for an author to imprint a character with their own personality a bit. Hell anyone who knows me well and has read anything I've ever written will recognize me in a charcter...although the character is usually male for some reason.
    Hell was full, so I came back.