Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X(-Force) Gonna Give It To Ya ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Oh, that could have been much worse. Imagine if Ann Soapbox-per-issue Nocenti had been writing an Irish character like Siryn.

What's wrong with Ann Nocenti? I absolutly adore her run on Daredevil, but I did not like much Kid eternity, I think she got lost in the metaphysic mombo jumbo

To my mind it was shoddy writing, denergrating young lads who were doing a difficult job in dangerous circumstances. Moore did all that as a sound bite to try and give a character some kind of depth. Maybe it was just me being over sensitive, but it hacked me off to the degree that I shipped the whole lot away. Oh and there was also the fact that Pollinas art and the colouring had me reaching for a barf bag after every issue.
    But you know Del, what You don't like as a drawing, you're sure, I'm going to like it I really liked Pollina and I liked Moore, I'm sorry for the bad reference, I can certainly understand, but I did not notice it, not been very familiar with Irish history (except a little bit the potato famine that brought many irish here in Canada or what ever it was called at that time). And like our good old ex-prime minister Jean Chrétien once said about Jerusalem : "east, West, south, north, it's the same thing!" Replace Jerusalem by Irland, and it's tell you almost how bad I don't know that country.

I didn't much care for Pollina's work, either, although he did draw a great Dani Moonstar. I just didn't like how exaggerated some of his characters ended up looking. And the purple-and-yellow X-Force team uniform was absolutely wretched. I much preferred Jimmy Cheung. But I preferred the entire late Moore run anyway, right up until the six-month gap. That's when X-Force's brief period of tolerance in my eyes vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Oh, that could have been much worse. Imagine if Ann Soapbox-per-issue Nocenti had been writing an Irish character like Siryn.

What's wrong with Ann Nocenti? I absolutly adore her run on Daredevil, but I did not like much Kid eternity, I think she got lost in the metaphysic mombo jumbo
    She wrote to deliver a message in every issue, not to entertain. I was tolerating it a bit until it reached the conflicting independence day parades in Daredevil. The book got dropped that issue, and her run promptly traded. Everything she wrote had her take on political issues, not just Daredevil as Mad-Dog thing in Spider-Man attests.

It's perfectly all right for there to be a message in the work, but I don't think the work in comics should be for a message. Best close example I can think of is Nicienza's Dardevil fill-in with the first appearance of the Bengal. There was a message, but the author's views didn't overpower the entertainment value of the comic.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.