Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PUDDING!!!!

Isn't a grilled cheese sandwich just fried bread/butter/cheese? Right so fried bread can be good.
    Richard Vasseur

English fried bread is DEEP FRIED.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

what are you lot even moaning about? French Toast is bloody battered fried bread! eesh...men. =p
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Well I had the fried bread, tomato, and egg concoction last night for dinner and I gotta say it wasn't that bad. I deep fried the bread in 300 degree oil for about a minute then laid tomato and "scrambled" eggs on top. Not bad with a couple of sausage links.

*Just stares in abject HORROR at that concoction* Oh, I bet that a couple of hours after you ate that, a few more "sausage links" were produced. Can I get some Pepto in the house, before this man dies a screaming, wretched, horrible death?!

LOL I hate to be the one to tell you this mate, but that's typical Brit fair right there! if it hasn't been fried to death it's been mixed with stuff most people in the US cringe at. I personally am a huge fan of tomatoes on toast and baked beans on toast...then there's bangers and mash, egg and chips, meatpies! that last = YUM! as far as I'm concerned, but I digress. ^^ Aussie/Kiwi cuisine is a lot like it's British cousin...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ladymako71
    what are you lot even moaning about? French Toast is bloody battered fried bread! eesh...men. =p
    French/Gypsy toast done proper is an excellent snack. Crack a couple of eggs, mix until it's all yellow and running and soak the bread. Fry in very hot oil and liberally smother in brown sauce. What I call a munchies snack
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Well I had the fried bread, tomato, and egg concoction last night for dinner and I gotta say it wasn't that bad. I deep fried the bread in 300 degree oil for about a minute then laid tomato and "scrambled" eggs on top. Not bad with a couple of sausage links.
    As Jo almost pointed out, you missed the baked beans and shrooms. English sausage tends to be smoother but mushier than US counterparts, and their bacan is more of the "Canadian" variety than the brittle-crisp American. Strange at first, but acceptable. Maybe I just has a real bad batch the first time I tried the fried bread, but it was most definitely deep fried, with the texture of wood. This was at (THIS IS TRUE!!) the Kicking Dickey Pub in Great Dunmow, a few minutes from Stansted airport.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    French/Gypsy toast done proper is an excellent snack. Crack a couple of eggs, mix until it's all yellow and running and soak the bread. Fry in very hot oil and liberally smother in brown sauce. What I call a munchies snack
    French Toast is softer than the fried bread, and (here, at least) is typically grilled with just a bit of butter to lube the pan. Also typically with a little milk and vanilla in the egg mixture, served with maple syrup.
    www.kozzi.us

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    French Toast is softer than the fried bread, and (here, at least) is typically grilled with just a bit of butter to lube the pan. Also typically with a little milk and vanilla in the egg mixture, served with maple syrup.
    That sounds bloody gorgeous, gonna have to give that a whirl. Re Great Dunmow, that is the nicer part of Essex, although that pub didn't do us any favours. If you want real fried bread, go to a greasy spoon, those people have been doing it for years.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I'll try anything ONCE. Fried bread had its shot, so blame "Missus Dickey" for my passing on second opportunities.
    www.kozzi.us

If I stick mushrooms on anything it's going to be a pizza or anything else remotely related to Italian food....or Asian come to think of it.

I grew up with the 'Down Under' version of Brit food and it all depends on what was actually available, seeing as most of the time I was living south of the equator it was in Aussie. Way out in the middle of nowhere Aussie. Everything we had in town was trucked in because we were so remote on the Northwest Cape.

Brittle crisp American bacon? I'm Canadian and my bacon is brittle and crisp. Is somebody hiding away some other kind of bacon?
    Richard Vasseur

In the US we have "bacon" and "Canadian Bacon." "Bacon" is typically fried until brille and crisp. "Canadian Bacaon" by comparison is more of a peculiar ham. The bacon I've had in England is more of the "peculiar" (that's not in a bad sense) ham.
    I've been tempted many a time to bring a slab of American Bacon to the toasted sandwhich truck guy at Swinderby, but figured after the foot-and-mouth thing that getting caught with it would NOT be a pleasant experience.
    www.kozzi.us