Thread: Research questions

Default Research questions

Hi all -

I am doing some research for a story I'm working on involving the X-Men, and it will involve Alpha Flight in some measure, so I want to get my facts straight. I'd appreciate your help.

The story is taking place 12 years ago, real-time. So that would put this in the context of early 90's Alpha Flight, assuming it was around then (and I think it was).

Here are the questions:

Who were the members of AF at the time?

What was their jet/primary transportation? Did it have a nickname? Who usually piloted/drove/controlled it? Were there any other vehicles they used - particular those that would work in snow/cold climates? (i.e. far northern Canada/arctic circle)

What is Aurora's power? Does she fly?

What is Sasquatch's real name? Did he then/ever have a girlfriend? Did/does he ever wear clothes?

Are any/which members are the "mechanics" of the team?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Blu

Hi Blu, welcome aboard! I'll take a shot at a few of these questions. 12 years ago eh? 92....that would put us in AF's world tour time. The team actually went through a big change in that time, so I'll go with the slim trim team that resulted.

Who were the members of AF at the time?
    The core team consisted of:
    Guardian (Heather Hudson) - Leader
    Sasquatch
    Northstar
    Aurora
    Weapon Omega

If you need other associated members, just say so

What was their jet/primary transportation? Did it have a nickname? Who usually piloted/drove/controlled it? Were there any other vehicles they used - particular those that would work in snow/cold climates? (i.e. far northern Canada/arctic circle)
    I can't think of any vehicle used for arctic conditions. It was just around that time that Box (Madison Jeffries) left active duty to get married, he had been the transportation up to that point. As for the name of the jet they used after that....ummmm, can't think that it was ever named....maybe the Alpha Jet? Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

What is Aurora's power? Does she fly?
    Her powers at that time were super speed, flight, and the ability to generate blinding light. She had a certain degree of resistance to cold in order not to freeze while flying fast. As a matter of note whe is MPD, and it was quite a part of the stories at that time.

What is Sasquatch's real name? Did he then/ever have a girlfriend? Did/does he ever wear clothes?
    He name is Walter Langkowski, he used to date Aurora, but they were not seeing each other at that time. He also has an ex wife named Veronica

Are any/which members are the "mechanics" of the team?
    That would be Madison Jeffries. He has the ability to transmute metal, glass and plastic to form any machine immaginable.

Any thing else, just let us know

Ben

Hi Ben -

Thanks for the information. A few questions -

What did you mean that Aurora was "MPD"?

Had Northstar been outed as a gay character at that time?

Heather Hudson was Guardian at that point. Wasn't Guardian also a man? her husband, IIRC. What happened to him?

Thanks

Blu

MPD= Multiple personality dissorder

It was right in that time frame that Northstar came out of the closet.

The origonal Guardian, James MacDonald Hudson (who is her husband) was at that point believed to be dead, though he was really floating around, trapped in an interdimensional wasteland. He was later plucked out of there by The Master.

Ben

MPD = Multiple personality disorder = Jeanne-Marie Beaubier and Aurora was 2 differnet personality and not true names and super-hero name.

As for Northstar, I don't know, I think Lobdell issues are younger than that

And yes, Gardian was a man to begin with and it was heather's husband, he should still be dead at that time

you may also find some useful info at: http://www.alphaflight.net/character...ews/index.html

I don't have it broken down into time frames, but for general character information, I"m sure it will be of some use

Ben

Blu:
    "About 12 years ago" is a risky and confusing reference. Marvel time and real time move quite differently and inconsistently from each other.

Gove publication dates of the X-Men issues you are inserting the story into and I will check my anal files and give you an issue range of Alpha.

If you go by Ben's World Tour time frame, then Northstar gave his out-of-character press conference to state he was gay immediately prior to this.

Aurora can move at super speed, including flight, and can generate light independently of Northstar. This light can be superbright or hot, and Jeanne-Marie (but not Aurora) has demonstarted both healing light, but emotionally and physically. Often Jeanne-M. had no powers because the Aurora personality was selfish with them. In later times, both personalities used all abilities, but there's some evidence (but nothing conclusive) that J-M generally utilizes the light powers while the more aggressive Aurora uses the speed and flight. The easiest pare-down of the personality differences is that Aurora is aggressive; she will force her opinion on people and is progressive. J-M will not allow her opinions to falter, is deeply religious, and has a quiet strength rather than aggression.

The friendship between Wolverine and Heather is obvious, but he has also become rather tight with Puck. There is a very understated but strong friendship between Northstar and Rogue rooting from the 1st X-Men Alpha mini. This is one of many things not touched on with Northstar's X-Men appearances, but was shown by better writers such as their sitting together in the Infinity-Whichever mini(s).

You may want to invest in back issues, not just for the reference to give you a feel for Aurora's MPD or Sasquatch's personality, but because anything from Vol 1 #1-50 and 88-130 is GREAT reading!

Thanks for all the info, so far, everyone. If I have additional questions I will be sure to post them here as I come up with them. I'm sure I'll have a few more.

"About 12 years ago" is a risky and confusing reference. Marvel time and real time move quite differently and inconsistently from each other.
    Right. Which is why I did specify "real-time" when I posted.

I'm not using any specific X-Men issues as backdrop for the story, as of yet -- it's going to be an original plotline -- but I needed to know, generally, what was going on with Alpha Flight at that period, as secondary information. The story is predicated in northern Canada and will involve a pseudo-rescue mission by AF, notably Aurora, Sasquatch, and JP. Most of it is not going to be used but I didn't, for instance, want to refer to Aurora if she wasn't in the team, you know? That kind of thing. The team roster Ben gave will suit my purposes just fine, for instance - I can probably slip in a few other details, too.

If I do include anything issue-specific, I'll give you the numbers to cross-check.

BTW, where is a good place to find back issues of AF? My comic shop doesn't have many. Is there someplace online?

I use Mile High Comics, which often have sales.
    Other posters here use Sasquatch Comics.
    Unfortunately, they're often in quarter bins.
    Both X-Men & Alpha have specific memberships & quirks to characters in almost every timeframe. If you decide about what publication year of X-Men your story is set, let me know and I'll let you know with Alpha that year. If going by Ben's suggestion, investment in AF #101-110 would probably suffice, and would coincidentally include the first run by current AF writer Scott Lobdell.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I honestly think one of the best ways to get a pile of back issues is on Ebay, here are a couple of good ones I found pretty quickly:

This is an incredible chance to get almost every issue of the first 2 volumes for only $44.99 US so far:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...255541188&rd=1

Ben

::wonders if he might be bidding against anyone fro AFnet::

Thanks, I'm definitely going to keep my eye on that. Looks like a great offer. I've never used ebay before but this might be a first.

even if you dont' get this one, it's worth keeping an eye on. There are often full sets put up there, and it's so much less hassle than having to go looking for each issue.

Ben

Questions covered, Blu?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

For the moment, yes. I haven't worked on the story this past week.