L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E
    [img=right:b0badb1867]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_5_review_1.jpg[/img:b0badb1867]

Writer: Scott Lobdell
    Artist: Clayton Henry
    Story: You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me! Part 5 of 6

OVERVIEW:
    [img=left:b0badb1867]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_5_review_2.jpg[/img:b0badb1867]

Our story continues where the last issue had left off. Inside the Plodex ship the members of "The All-New, All-Different" Alpha Flight are in "Transpacial Displacement". That is to say, they would appear to be in separate gravitational planes. Frustrated with being jerked around by the Plodex, Sasquatch lashes out at the ship, causing enough damage to bring all the members of the team to one place. Walter's lashing out also uncovered the original members of Alpha Flight, bound up in Plodex machinery. Just as the new members are about to free the old, Sasquatch is taken down by an EM blast, sent by, it would appear, Guardian. Guardian goes on to thank Sasquatch and company for freeing the old team from the Plodex Hatchery. He explains that the assault on the Plodex ship forced it to free Guardian and the other original members. They were being held to genetically imprint 100,000 Plodex eggs. The other members of "Uncanny Alpha Flight" appear, and there is an introduction session between the new team and the old. Just as things are getting warm and fuzzy, Nemesis stabs Heather in the back with her sword. The Nano-Technology Walter implanted in her system prevent Nemesis from harming any member of Alpha Flight. The fact that she was able to do so has shown that these people are not the original Alphans. Guardian blasts Nemesis, sending her flying out of the scene. A battle ensued between the imposter Alphans, and the new team. During the
    [img=right:b0badb1867]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_5_review_3.jpg[/img:b0badb1867]battle we lean that the imposters are Plodex, imprinted with the makeup, powers, and memories of the original Alphans. As the battle rages, one by one the Plodex pair off to battle the new Alpha Flight.

We find Nemesis face down in the water in the bowels of the Plodex ship. She has been separated from her sword, rendering her almost completely paralyzed. With great effort she manages to reach her hand up to her sword. Just as she can almost reach it, a small yellow clawed hand reaches down from above, and pulls the sword from the rocks it's embedded in. A small Plodex boy is holding Nemesiss' sword out to her.

The battle continues, and one by one the Plodex are picked off, and killed. The floor where the team is standing begins to separate from the rest of the ship. They find themselves stranded on an island surrounded by countless Plodex eggs.

REVIEW:

[img=left:b0badb1867]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_5_review_4.jpg[/img:b0badb1867]This was an other great issue. There was plenty of action, which should satisfy some of the nay sayers out there. The new team really seems to be gelling together, and they are quickly forming friendships, and maybe more. The obligatory "New Team vs. Old Team" battle was great, and I loved the twist Scott put on the whole thing. Using Nemesiss' long standing dislike for Heather to stab her was a really clever way to reveal the lot as a bunch of Trojan horses. I also really enjoyed how Walter squashed the fake Snowbird. It seemed to me to be a sort of revenge for when she killed him way back. There is some really great interaction among the characters. I liked seeing Rutherford's concern for Nemesis, and her apparent jealousy when he was chatting up the fake Heather. The Puck vs. Puck battle was very well done.

The humour in this issue was more subtle than in past issues, for the most part; but no less effective. Yukon Jack's statement "I'm a God among men" to snowbird was quite funny.

I REALLY have my curiosity raised by the scene with the Plodex boy. I can't wait until we find out exact who or what he is.

Clayton's art was great for the most part. His version of Sasquatch is awesome, and I can't get enough of his facial expressions. The last couple of pages looked a little more rushed than the rest of the book. I was a little confused about the misplaced word bubble on page 2, until I realized it was an error that slipped past the editors. I'm surprised the let that happen.

This issue ended with a great cliffhanger, and like always, I'm impatiently awaiting the next issue.

i totally agree with you, great issue, scott and clayton are really hitting their stride with this book.

the ONLY thing that seemed kind of odd to me, was nemesis, i think killing heather (thus guardian yelling you killed my wife) then mmjr fighting her in the next panel.

but i am really looking forward to next issue.

btw, has the solicitations for #9 been out yet, i know clayton is taking 7/8 off, but has he been confirmed back for 9?

solicits for #8 should be out the middle of this week, possibly the end of the week. It'll be an other month 'till the solicits for #9 ar out. Scott said that Clayton was just taking a well deserved break, so I'm assuming that he's back for #9. I'll send him a quick email and ask.

Ben

wow.

send him a quick e-mail? someone has a insider line. cool.

ask how sales are doing to, just so we know the series will be around for a while.

I'm not quite sure if he would know more about the sales than us. If I knew how to contact Mike Marts, he may know. What encourages me about the sales, and it sticking around is the blurb at the very top of the first page of #5
    "...the reviews are out, and the sales are in...and ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT ALPHA FLIGHT is here to stay! Woo hoo!"
    I also thingk that blurb is making some veiled refference to us

Ben

Late this month, eh?
    Hope that Francophile babe was worth our delay.
    Share the joy!

I know when the book was first announced Clayton mentioned that he'd never actually maintained a monthly schedule before. So I'm not surprised that he needs a fill-in. I do hope it is just a fill in though. I see no reason why it wouldn't be.

I agree with your review, Ben. I thought this issue was fantastic and anxiously\cautiously await #6, though I haven't forgotten what Scott said about a choice that is made before the arc is over. Unfortunately, it can't be a 100% happy ending if plans haven't changed since Scott spoke of the issue. Guess we'll know soon enough!
    The little green guy is awesome. I'd love it to be Marrina's son, although that might entail too much backstory for new readers...
    I think the reasons why people are saying that they don't like this book are amusing. It's finally something totally different in tone than anything that Marvel currently has out there and you read people's comments like "I don't like the old guy as a super hero" and "Major MapleLeaf is annoying". They seem to want another carbon-copy X-title. Guess they'll be happy in the fall when the next slew of x-books debuts...

Good review, Ben!
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.