Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #5 Discussion Thread : Spoilers Aplenty

I finally got my issue. LOVED it, will do my review in full tomorrow.

Ben

THATS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH BOY!
    YOU WILL NOT GO OUT AND CHAT UP FRENCH WOMEN, YOU WILL STAY HERE AND WRITE A REVIEW!!!

NOW!!!

awwww, but Phiiiiiiiil.....fin, be that way, here it is"

Ben's Bit...or some such thing...AF#5

This issue was good, I liked it. Stuff happened. There was a fight between old AF and new...and all the old members are dead...or something. There's a little green man.

a bunch of leaves for this one

Now can I go chat up Francophone women?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Ben's Bit...or some such thing...AF#5

This issue was good, I liked it. Stuff happened. There was a fight between old AF and new...and all the old members are dead...or something. There's a little green man.
    This little green man, was it Shrek? Is Donkey really Sasquatch?, Is Northstar Prince Charming? IS SOMEONE GOING TO BRING ME MY MEDICATION, OR WHAT ?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The reviews of #5 have begun

Somewhat mixed review at comix-fan:
    http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/...threadid=28957

Ben

Ben
    I'm a part of the group mentioned in the first paragraph of this camics that had a number of complaints about the book. Mind you, since I've bought them all, I'm also part of the second group.

I bought this one a little later than usual (two copies left at my store, too!) and I agree with most of the positive comments I've read here, but I'd like to add to one from your review.

"The humour in this issue was more subtle than in past issues, for the most part; but no less effective."

In my opinion, for that very reason, it was MORE effective. I find the humour fails when it's outrageous. Sasquatch on a dance video game used as an entrance portal...is not funny, it's just stupid, I'm sorry to say (still in my opinion). It takes away from the story for me because it makes no sense. But Guardian asking MML whether he's serious about his name or the very same MML being allergic to feathers is funny for me because it's real. Many of us had the same reaction to MML's name at first so we can relate.

Ben
    Not to start reviewing reviews, but...

"Also, Centennial mentions watching The View in the dayroom, when prior to Sasquatch’s visit he had been in a coma for a number of yeas and had probably never even heard of The View."

Centennial didn't join right away though. I believe that probably a couple of days passed between meetings. I don't know that Centennial has much more to do than watch TV. I don't think it's too much to believe that he caught a couple of episodes and liked it right away. Hell, I fell in love with the Trailer Park Boys and Most Extreme Elimination Challenge right away!

Hiya Guys! Chiming in late, just managed to get the comic...

Really great issue! with fantastic characterizations of the originals, even if they were just copies....

I'm getting the feeling that the couple Scott hinted at will be Rutherford and Nemesis. Just hints and conjecture, but werent they born in the same era? Is it possible that they knew each other before? Maybe they were old flames?

Oh yeah, could Plodex Puck's 13 alphans comment be a reference to Marrina? *hopefu look*

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloo
    Oh yeah, could Plodex Puck's 13 alphans comment be a reference to Marrina? *hopefu look*
    Colour me stupid... but isn't this another Giant Size X-men #1 reference??? After the newbies have rescued the originals, and they're flying back in the jet, doesn't someone make that comment???
    Swifty
    aka Tyvin on FFXI server Seraph.
    If I'm not at work or on MSN... I'm in Vana'Diel

I might have mentioned this elsewhere, but to me, Pucks'What are we going to do with 13 Alphans' was an indication that all was not right with the original Alphans we saw in #5. Puck used the same statement in AF vol 1 #90 after the Building Blocks arc. I took this as the Plodex Puck using a retained memory that had been copied over.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but there ya go
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

i thought he just mis-counted considering there was only 12, but what do i know?

That was my original thought, but it struck a chord with me, so I dug out the aforementioned #90, the quote by Plodex Puck was almost verbatim to originals Pucks comment. Maybe if Scott can get past the difficulties he's been having getting on the forum, he can clear it up.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    i thought he just mis-counted considering there was only 12, but what do i know?
    I recall once a Simpsons writer (I believe) was asked why something was done out of continuity and the asnwer was basically "because it's funny". I'd be willing to bet Scott Lobdell just threw it in...because it's a little wnk to the past and he just felt like it!

Maybe a joke from Scott on many levels, including being another GSX-M reference, a retro Puck reference, and a comics insider thing of Scott's 1st assignment to Alpha, where his proposal was the only one to pare down the team?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.