Didn't want to hijack the Yukon Jack and Snowbird thread, so bought this over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
And as for Alpha's treatment under Austen... I liked it. For starters, I got to see classic characters again, and be shown that in a universe that becomes more X-centric (no pun intended) every day, Alpha Flight is still a force to be reckoned with. I hear people just railing against the fact that they wore "stupid-looking" armor in their fight with the Juggernaut, and *****ing and moaning and pleading that it won't be permanent. But if you READ the story, you'll realize that the armor was constructed specifically for Alpha Flight to fight the Hulk. Alpha Flight knew that they would be fighting the Juggernaut, and had already had more than one encounter with the behemoth, so they probably surmised (correctly) that they should go into the situation prepared to take him down.

So the armor wasn't all that attractive. So what? I thought all three of them looked spiffy in it. Gave Alpha Flight a more modern edge. And that's nothing that you'll see me complain about.
I cannot see any possible reason why Alpha would need armour to take on The Hulk or Juggs. Mac is a fighter from a distance when facing off against someone like the Hulk. His weaponary is such that he doesn't have to get in close. The same goes for Heather. The only one who gets in close against super strength types is Sas, who is the living embodiment of one of the Great Beasts. Walt has been shown to be able to press weights far in advance of what Hulk and Juggs have. Whats a few pieces of metal with circuitrey (sp) going to do for him. He looked like an extremely ugly quarterback in the armor.

Maybe I'm mising somthing, but I didn't see spiffy. All I saw was a disrespectful writer using AF as guinea pigs for his purile writing style. He did the same when they went to get Sammy The Squid from the Mansion and again when Juggs turned up. He's taken Northstar out of the AF equation for the time being and for what.

I admire that you stand up for Austen, but I'm not sure your gonna find many who share your viewpoint.