Thread: Potential Dave Ross interview.

Default Potential Dave Ross interview.

Got Questions? I'll try and get some answers. No guarantees of course.
    I gotta know by Friday night july 2nd or the wee hours of Saturday morn' my time which is -5 GMT

all I can think of is the standard 'what got you in the biz?' 'what about deadlines?' and the like. good luck getting the interview chance though!
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Groovie, Thanks JC! Good luck in talking to him

1). What is your overall feeling about the run you did on Alpha Flight v.1?

2). What was it like to go back and draw these characters that you han't done in so long?

Ben

How'd it go?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    How'd it go?
    The interview didn't really happen.

However I did get to see the photocopied pencils to issue seven and the actual pencils for a couple of pages to issue eight.
    Dave has done a terrific job. I think he'd be good as a regular again.

I'm looking forward to seeing his Alpha again. I also thought the inker was the weak part of his prior work, not his pencils.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I'm looking forward to seeing his Alpha again. I also thought the inker was the weak part of his prior work, not his pencils.
    I agree, I was just looking over his old stuff, and thought the same thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing his stuff all these years later, with modern colours, modern inks, and modern printing. I will however be missing Clayton's pencils.

Ben

Which issues did Dave Ross pencil?

35, 39, 40, 41, 42 and 44.

I didn't much care for his pencils THEN, but I'm sure he's improved/streamlined his style in the interim years. I'm sure it'll be pretty darned good.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    I didn't much care for his pencils THEN, but I'm sure he's improved/streamlined his style in the interim years. I'm sure it'll be pretty darned good.
    I can sympathize with your viewpoint on his work back then as I was in the same mind set. BUT ...

I actually got to see a lot of the original art of Dave's and can see his pencils clearly underneath the horrible inking job of Talaoc and I now firmly believe he did do an excellent job just the wrong man on top of him. Now i even own a couple pages of his.

You bought some of his work? Nice! Was it older stuff, or new? Perhpas a you should show them off to us

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    You bought some of his work? Nice! Was it older stuff, or new? Perhpas a you should show them off to us

Ben
    If I only had a scanner...
    Well Ben, here is a list of the Dave Ross pages I have,

AF #36 pg 17 Shaman and the Great Spirits,
    AF #37 pg 12 Talisman is midwifing Snowbird w/ the Great Spirits appearing
    AF #37 pg 20 Talisman is about to have her tiara torn off by Pestilance.
    AF #38 pg 21 Snowbird inSquatch form, Shamn is wearing the Talisman headband , and a nice group shot . Interesting art note Dave blue pencil lines clearly show Box with those little butterfly things in the eyelids like Byrne drew 'em and the innker clearly ignored these details twice on the same page.
    AF #38 pg 22 Shaman/Talisman vowing to find Pestilence, and halfsplash of Atlantean coming out of the water at Tamarind Island House
    AF #39 pg 17 Captain America and a half splash of Namor

I also have also have four West Coast Avengers pages and a Punisher page. Plus as I said before con sketches of Aurora, Northstar, Box and Shaman.

As a quick little aside I also have pages from
    AF # 4 pg 21, with Sue Richards, Namor, a tiny Group shot in Sue's bubble
    pretty much everyone but the shredded Puck
    AF #19 pg 19, with Talisman and Puck

Man, do I ramble on. Sorry folks.

I have an old scanner, you want it? I'd love to see those!

Ben