Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Warriors

I'll have to get a hold of that issue, then. I only own a few New Warriors issues currently... the Younghunt issues (for Moonstar, lol), the issue where Sabra was possessed and kicked the crud out of Justice and Firestar, and a few issues with these terrorists called the Eugenix (whom I liked so much that I'm including them in my Alpha fanfic).

issue 75 hon, it's a double sixed one too if memory serves...*i really need to dig it out again*
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Can I ask a question?

Did anyone ever take Speedball or Night Thrasher all that seriously? I collected the book when it first came out mostly because at the time I liked Bagly's art. But as it went on those 2 characters just bugged the hell outta me for some reason. Thoughts?

OMG Are you kidding? I loved Speedball, still do. Okay so he could be a pain in the arse usually but he was also more loyal then the family dog.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

I thought (for comics, that is) that Speedball had a very realistic touch to his creation. A teen gets super-powers. Of course, he's going to be up against other people with Super powers. His powers had an automatic defensive capability (like S-M's sense) that could keep him from really getting his arse handed to him. Unfortunately, Dikto's art could not sustain a book in the 80's, and Speedball was short lived.
    I agree though, he was a great character. Never overly fond of Thrasher, but he didn't annoy me either.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

The She-Hulk issue is very enjoyable! One of the better reads I've had this month, and the art was pretty good too!
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

See to me Speedball was just one of those characters that Marvel was throwing "up" at the time. They needed to appeal to the younger audience so they created him after watching a kid bouce a ball against a wall for 20 minutes. Did he ever do anything offensively in the books? I honestly can't remember.

And Night Thrasher was just another attempt to bring a Batman wannabe to the Marvel audience. But to make him different and appeal to young people they gave him bulletproof armor (original ) and a skateboard (ok that is original). But to me he was just never really gel'd with the book.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    See to me Speedball was just one of those characters that Marvel was throwing "up" at the time. They needed to appeal to the younger audience so they created him after watching a kid bouce a ball against a wall for 20 minutes. Did he ever do anything offensively in the books? I honestly can't remember.
    Robbie Baldwin : Parents divorced under arduous circumstances, a need to prove himself worthy of his peers, turned down by the Avengers, found a home within the Warriors. Always the joker, with an underlyeing need to be recognised as a worthy ally. Please read New Warriors #1-25

And Night Thrasher was just another attempt to bring a Batman wannabe to the Marvel audience. But to make him different and appeal to young people they gave him bulletproof armor (original ) and a skateboard (ok that is original). But to me he was just never really gel'd with the book.
    Marvels answer to Batman, but probably more likely identifiable to NightHawk in Supreme Power. I hate him, I hate all he is and all that he stands for, but he's a bloody fine character who made the Warriors what they were and his origin story in 20-25 New Warriors is pure class.
    FabNic did with New Warriors #1-25 what Byrne did with AF #1-28.

Just an opinion.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Motion seconded!
    www.kozzi.us

Yesterdays Lying in The Gutters mentioned a new New Warriors series, written by Zeb Wells and art by AF #8 cover artist Skottie Young. The new series was also mentioned at various Wizard Con panels. I knew nothing about Zeb Wells until yesterday, but it would seem he writes mainly in the comedic style. However it was mentioned that his Spiderman/Doc Ock Year One book was very darkl and gritty.

That said however, Skottie Young supposedly said at Wizard con that he and Wells had been given the go ahead for an undisclosed book for Marvel that would not be in a serious tone and would be funny anf fun.

So deep breaths all round and lets wait and see if the Warriors get the AF vol 3 treatment or somthing else. I will however be picking up the book. I've said elsewhere that Warriors has on the whole been an excellent team book and probably second to AF in my affections for Marvel characters, and lets be honest, it couldn't be any worse than Nova vol 3 or Warriors vol 2
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Robbie Baldwin : Parents divorced under arduous circumstances, a need to prove himself worthy of his peers, turned down by the Avengers, found a home within the Warriors. Always the joker, with an underlyeing need to be recognised as a worthy ally. Please read New Warriors #1-25

Marvels answer to Batman, but probably more likely identifiable to NightHawk in Supreme Power. I hate him, I hate all he is and all that he stands for, but he's a bloody fine character who made the Warriors what they were and his origin story in 20-25 New Warriors is pure class.

Just an opinion.
    New Warriors #'s1-25 I dug. At the time it was a chance for me to collect a series from the very first issue that wasn't named Quasar and I found myself really liking the team. But Speedball and Night Thrasher often seemed a little forced by FabNic.

I think with Speedball, FabNic was pretty much tied to what he could do. Speedy had had a short lived series where he had come across as that bumbling type, most of his adversaries had been definately second string and ludicrous. To be honest, Robbie is my fave Warrior, mainly cos he comes across as the most realistic.

Night Thrasher as a character has a lot of depth, but his ressemblence to Batman always put me off. Again, to my mind, FabNic had to write him a certain way to actually create a believable reason for Thrash to form the Warriors. That said, I think he was ruined by the following writers who had no real idea what to do with him after his origin type arc in Warriors #20-25. He became very cliched after Skolnik gotta a hold of him.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    He became very cliched after Skolnik gotta a hold of him.
    I've used the term "Skolnik'd" elsewhere before and I'm glad to find someone else who finally agrees with me.

Does anyone remember how Skolnik got the book? Was he a friend of Fabe's?
    That who-ya-know BS annoys me, enough that despite my love for Supreme Power, I specifically passed on the Dr. Spectrum, written by a protoge of JMS.
    www.kozzi.us

I'm not really sure how Skolnik became involved in the New Warriors, but I do vaguely remember something along the lines of FabNic recommending him, but I wouldn't swear on oath to it. In regards to Doc Spec, I'm grabbing that because the term 'JMS protege' is so off base. JMS and Samm ?? had worked together on a TV series, JMS, due to work commitments suggested that Samm put her Doc Spec ideas down. He advised, but had no real input on the book.

She did an interview at Newsrama I believe and explained it all, she herself was a little put out by the suggestion that she got the book on who she knows, as a published novellists an accredited tv script writer, it is quite understandable why she's slightly peeved.
    Del