Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Early evidence of Northstar's homosexuality

So is thee any chance that like straight couples we will see Northstar going around with a boyfriend or even have a wedding with a guy? We get to see female and male couples in comics all the time so why not a male male couple.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    So is there any chance that like straight couples we will see Northstar going around with a boyfriend or even have a wedding with a guy? We get to see female and male couples in comics all the time so why not a male male couple.
    In a word: no.

It's rumoured that Marvel are scared of gay male characters now because they aren't child friendly enough, so that is why we are seeing a lot less of JP. Apparently lesbians are okay though.

Lesbians are ok? Like Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn(I know she is bi but close enough).
    Which other lesbian couple are around?
    Richard Vasseur

Maybe I'm reading more into it than what there actually is, but I believe Xian whatever and Danielle Moonstar could be a partenership ??
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by jay042
    As for Tinky Winky, no he is not gay, he's just very British
    I think you'd find there's a few of us on here that'd disagree with that :P
    I was actually thinking in terms of British children's programing. I got the impression that UK kids had a lot of unbelivably saccharine programming over the years.

Tinky Winky I don't think has really been shown as gay or straight. Its a big creature that has no sexuality at all. And who cares what color he wears or carries.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Maybe I'm reading more into it than what there actually is, but I believe Xian whatever and Danielle Moonstar could be a partenership ??
    Just Xian, who is interested in a coffee shop manager. She was established as gay in X-Force, during an appearance in the 50's or 60's, after the "road trip" bit

But would't it be nice to see a company take a chance and have a male gay couple in a comic. Give Northstar a full time boyfriend/lover. Have them actually kiss and hold hands. Things like that.
    Richard Vasseur

But would't it be nice to see a company take a chance and have a male gay couple in a comic. Give Northstar a full time boyfriend/lover. Have them actually kiss and hold hands. Things like that.
    Wildstorm have already done that with Apollo and the Midnighter in the Authority. They are even the adopted parents of Jenny Quantum. The problem Marvel has is that they are trying to pul a younger audience into comics. I think they probably need too, gotta have an audience in the future. I think you may see Northstar in a relationship in the Ultimate line, but not in a mainstream Marvel book.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I heard about Apollo ans Midnighter but I don't read that series. I have always thought of them as a cheap version of the JLA even though I know a lot of people seem to think they are better than the JLA.
    A limited series in the Marvel Knights heading might show Northstar in a relationship.
    Richard Vasseur

No, not really.
    Would not be a boost to sales, either.

I heard about Apollo ans Midnighter but I don't read that series. I have always thought of them as a cheap version of the JLA even though I know a lot of people seem to think they are better than the JLA.
    A limited series in the Marvel Knights heading might show Northstar in a relationship.
    Well, Apollo and Midnighter were very much intended to be Superman and Batman as gay lovers. The rest of the Authority were more original concepts. Seeing how Wildstorm is a DC imprint anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.

I guess Supreme Power is "Ultimate JLA" as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by jay042
    Well, Apollo and Midnighter were very much intended to be Superman and Batman as gay lovers. The rest of the Authority were more original concepts. Seeing how Wildstorm is a DC imprint anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.

I guess Supreme Power is "Ultimate JLA" as it were.
    And New Warriors is Teen Titans, Hyperion, Mr Majestik are Superman, Savage Dragon is The Hulk etc etc. I guess that as Supes is probably the original super hero, all heroes can trace their origins through him. In much the same way that todays music can trace it's origins to Scott Joplin. (Thats me agreeing with ya Jay, my text can lead to mis-interpretations.)

Rich, even if Authority is a JLA rip off, I don't see how that negates the fact, that a mainsteam comic portrays a gay relationship. Most aspects have been seen, kisses, the angst of Midnighter when Apollo was raped and tender moments when one has been hurt. Lets see the JLA do that.
    Del

Wouldn't you think in this day and age, where same sex marriages are occurring and are indeed legal, that Marvel or some other company would test those waters themselves? Even if it remained a controversial topic in their book. I'd think Northstar would definitely be the hero to shoulder this burden. Afterall, it was he who came out first. They could have him marry in Massachusetts while with the X-men. He could deal with the legality of the marriage in future stories, depending on where his travels take him. I think they'd make for interesting stories. Would I have a problem with my 7 and 8 year olds reading a story where two men openly share their intamacy through a kiss? Not on your life! They'll see it eventually. I'd rather them see it while I have a chance to offer them an un-bigoted (sorry couldn't find the right word) opinion about the subject. They are old enough to form questions about the topic and to understand that there are different types of families ranging from moms and dads to dads and dads to grandmas and grandpas. The world is what it is! Comics can be a very good learning tool for kids about the diversity in life. Now I realize there are parents out there who want to protect their kids from the "evils" of the world, but at the same time, you can't protect your kids from things they aren't aware are dangerous. I'm not talking about homosexuality here, but some of the world's other corruptions (violence, drugs, social disease, etc.). The old Power Pack stories about drugs are good examples of this. I think Alpha Flight could help even if in a small way to further acceptance of different social groups. They should go for it. I'd prefer to see it in Alpha Flight than in X-men. Hold the big "Gay Wedding" issue complete with bachelor party. Imagine the characterization you'd get with Puck and Sasquatch sitting around with some of Jean Paul's other friends. T'would be interesting indeed. Imagine them throwing a bachelor party that he didn't enjoy because it was too masculine. Could be a great story there.
    Anyway, I'm for this. I think it's close sighted to ignore such a topic.

Barnacle

Barnacle, I think you'd find that the majority, if not all of the people here agree with you, but then you can also see Marvels viewpoint. In a mainstream Marvel book,it wouldn't be prudent to portray what you outlined, especially with the conservative viewpoints being championed by the current administration. People are going to kick off if their kid comes home with a comic that openly portrays any diverse lifestyle. In the Ultimate, Max or Marvel Knights line that has parental advisory labels, it's not to bad, but in the 616, it's not something i think they are gonna do any time soon.
    Del