Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Default Canadian Election

Though it goes against better judgement to bring it up, all I can say is....phew!

*Ben breaths a sigh of relief*

and we still have 4 more months before we can see what happens on this side of the border...
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Default Re: Canadian Election

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Though it goes against better judgement to bring it up, all I can say is....phew!

and can I add in minority yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois

Thank nelvanna it wasn't a conservative minority. It would seem to me from the propaganda I had read Mr Harper isn' a big fan of minorities of any type.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
    Quote Originally Posted by syvalois

Thank nelvanna it wasn't a conservative minority. It would seem to me from the propaganda I had read Mr Harper isn' a big fan of minorities of any type.
    Especially those of us who are gay, non-Anglophone (from what I read), or green with bulging eyes and scales....
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

LOL, seems I'm the odd man out here!

BTW: Stephen Harper is a very nice man and some people have a very mistaken impression of him. I mean, he's one of the world's biggest Beatles fan!

yeah but you have far more choice on that side of the border then I'm stuck with down here mate.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

I wouldn't know what to do if I were in your shoes buddy.

The Republican party is a lot more right wing than our Conservative party in Canada so I wouldn't really support them.

For example, our "right-wing" party supports pot decriminalization for small amounts, civil marriage with equal benefits for gays, government run public health care system, moderate gun control, government run drug plan, increased post-secondary education funding, increased funding for green energy research ....Could you see the Republican party supporting these?

However, the Democrates have a lot of politicians and supporters that I really disagree with as well....

Kerry doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over Bush. Our choice doesn't have much choice, like a restaurant that serves only chicken and turkey.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Kerry doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over Bush. Our choice doesn't have much choice, like a restaurant that serves only chicken and turkey.
    Compared to what I've seen of Bush, Kerry seems like a blessing. I cannot see Kerry working solely for the corps like Bush does. Bush seems to me like a spoilt rich boy who's been given a country to play with cos of the money his daddies thrown his way.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Kerry (and his wife) aren't po' people themselves.
    There's some merit that the breaks to corporations trickle down, but I'm no economist and am skeptical on the claims from BOTH sides when it comes to that.
    In my adult lifetime, the Democrats have made many more campaign promises that they had no intention of keeping, often did a political show of "trying" and failing and probably should have been making some promises to begin with.. I'm not going to get into the lists of thousands of lies, but one relevant to many of the regulars here and fresh on my mind because of something Jo said on another post I read today: Clinton's promise of gays in the military. Did anyone really think that was anythin but an attempt to snag the gay vote?
    My mind's not made up, and shouldn't be because it's not the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November yet. But the choices don't look too good right now. John Kerry's endorsement by Bill Clinton who says he respects Kerry's War record because "John Kerry was laying his life on the line for his country (while I was dodging the draft and smokin' dope in the back seat with all the unwed mothers in Arkansas)" DOES NOT help him on hypocracy factor alone.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

As much as I loathe Bush, I have to say that I disagree with people calling him stupid. You don't graduate from Yale, much less at the level that he did, if you're stupid. All the money in the world can't buy you a diploma from one of the top colleges in the country. You either bust your ass and work hard, or you fail. Yale doesn't need Bush's money, believe me.

Yes and no. I have a lot of exposure to Brown University students. Ivy League, ultra expensive, students from near 100 countries, admission policies that just don't let in truly stupid people.
    But there is a vast difference between educated and smart. I've met too many Brown students with excellent GPA who are DUMB AS POSTS!!!
    Intellectualism and common sense do not go hand in hand. Neither do education and intelligence.
    www.kozzi.us

The consequences of a Kerry victory on the Canadian economy worry me very much.

Kerry has said he'd like to see the border permanently closed to Canadian beef and has also mentioned that he doesn't like Free Trade.

If he went though with this it would destroy our economy.