Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yukon Jack and Snowbird

Considering the young-attitude reboot of the character, wouldn't it be better if she rediscovered her godhood gradually and attached her own value to it? In her few appearances, this Snowbird has been young and hip. If she is Narya, which I don't think she is, she doesn't seem to have memories of her former life.

I have yet to see her but sure a young hip Goddess might help attract young male readers.
    Richard Vasseur

I'd prefer the real Snowbird in Godland or wherever she is with her hubby and son and family.

This new Snowbird can be a clone who ends up being a hip goddess. I like that.

Hip clone Goddesses hmmm thats different. After the Spider-Man Clone thing I have not really liked clones and now they are doing the same thing in the Hulk a clone here a clone there everywhere a clone. I do not want that in Alpha one clone maybe is ok but no more.
    Richard Vasseur

y'know I was thinking about this and then my sister sent school pics of her kids...my eldest nephew has YJ's eyes too. He's half polynesian and there is absolutely no discernable colour in his eyes what so ever. They're jet black. And somewhat narrow so it looks like he has pure all black eyes. The other one is is a quater thai and looks like an anime character...caucausian colouring with asian features. I should dig up the pics and let you lot decide. lol
    Hell was full, so I came back.

IMHO....if the new Snowbird's a hip kinda girl, she's not Snowbird...period. The Snowbird I knew was an ice queen who gradually became more human, then died. I'd rather she stay dead, then come back as some Kewl bimbo.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    IMHO....if the new Snowbird's a hip kinda girl, she's not Snowbird...period. The Snowbird I knew was an ice queen who gradually became more human, then died. I'd rather she stay dead, then come back as some Kewl bimbo.

Dana
    I couldn't agree more, but the damage has been done, with some glaring continuity errors, back in an issue of Wolverine. I refer to hip because in her X-Men appearances, she was talking like a 13 year old celebrity watching girl rather than an ice queen goddess. That characterization could be written off to Chuck Austen squishing dog do between his toes, but I think once it's in the published issues, it has to be dealt with.

Yep once it's in there we are stuck with it. Now if you had someone like chris Claremont he could just forget itv ever happened and make up whatever he wanted. His klast run on the X-Men is what made me cancel getting them. The only thing that wasn't to bad that he came up with wa the new character Sketch who now seems to have been totally forgotten.
    Richard Vasseur

Claremont's success too often comes in long term as he shapes characters, and it is true he can do hatchet jobs on things that have been done to "his" character in the intirum (sp).
    I do NOT like his reversion of Magma to Amara Aquilla, child of (cliche'd Nova Roma and its arenas. I thought Allison Crestmere had potential that was never worked with. Or maybe it's because I never liked the concept of Nova Roma, although I did like Magma in New Mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I couldn't agree more, but the damage has been done, with some glaring continuity errors, back in an issue of Wolverine. I refer to hip because in her X-Men appearances, she was talking like a 13 year old celebrity watching girl rather than an ice queen goddess. That characterization could be written off to Chuck Austen squishing dog do between his toes, but I think once it's in the published issues, it has to be dealt with.
    That's a tad harsh overkill isn't it?

She only ever appeared once!
    In X-men Unlimited, and only had a few lines.

Yes the gods line was glaringly bad, but she's hardly "hip"

I got a definite sense of a young hip character from Austen's treatment. And I accept it fully as long as it gets established that Chuck Austen wasn't writing the Snowbird we knew so glaringly out of character, but was establishing this Snowbird as a NEW Snowbird, not Narya.
    I was trying to be funny in the dog do bit in saying Austen made a mistake. I will reiterate that he has done some things I've really liked, but none of his work that involved Alpha has been in that category.

I have to disagree about Magma/Amara. The Allison Crestmere retcon was not only a bad idea, but it was executed very poorly. It not only butchered Amara's character, but Selene's as well. Selene was not meant to be a 'modern' character until the New Mutants' arrival in Nova Roma demonstrated to her that she was not a unique being. In effect, she learned of the existence of mutants for the first time. And to turn around and have Selene manipulate plane-crash survivors into thinking that they're lost Roman colonists... not something Selene would do. It's not in her character to do something so pointless. She's a woman of action.

And as for Magma herself... I personally like Nova Roma. It's a tiny piece of ancient times, and adds to the wonderful variety that is the Marvel universe. For anyone who thinks that the idea of a lost Roman/Incan colony at the headwaters of the Amazon is a stupid/unbelievable idea... well, I could say the same thing about damn near EVERYTHING in Marvel. People shooting beams out of their eyes? Shape-shifting demigoddesses? Alien empires of over a million worlds that can't seem to conquer this one? Baaaah.

Now, for the Snowbird bit. I also disagree with this "young hip" characterization about her due to Austen. Granted, he did write her out of character, but I think you're reading waaaaaay too much into it. I doubt very much that Austen thought as deeply about her as you did when he wrote that one appearance. Her lingo was hardly "hip" as you define it. I just don't see where you got this from.

And as for Alpha's treatment under Austen... I liked it. For starters, I got to see classic characters again, and be shown that in a universe that becomes more X-centric (no pun intended) every day, Alpha Flight is still a force to be reckoned with. I hear people just railing against the fact that they wore "stupid-looking" armor in their fight with the Juggernaut, and *****ing and moaning and pleading that it won't be permanent. But if you READ the story, you'll realize that the armor was constructed specifically for Alpha Flight to fight the Hulk. Alpha Flight knew that they would be fighting the Juggernaut, and had already had more than one encounter with the behemoth, so they probably surmised (correctly) that they should go into the situation prepared to take him down.

So the armor wasn't all that attractive. So what? I thought all three of them looked spiffy in it. Gave Alpha Flight a more modern edge. And that's nothing that you'll see me complain about.

Yes I agree using the armor to give them a better chance against Juggernaunt was the right thing to do. Why not they are not stupid enough to just leave it sitting there if they think it can help.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    Now, for the Snowbird bit. I also disagree with this "young hip" characterization about her due to Austen. Granted, he did write her out of character, but I think you're reading waaaaaay too much into it. I doubt very much that Austen thought as deeply about her as you did when he wrote that one appearance. Her lingo was hardly "hip" as you define it. I just don't see where you got this from.
    Oh no....I MEANT I didn't want to see Snowbird as young and hip like some other posters have expressed they want to see. I didn't mean to imply that Austen made her "young and hip". I didn't like the out of character lines in the XM unlimited issue, but I don't think he portrayed her as "Hip"...he just wrote some really inaccurate dialogue for her.

Her characterization in the Wolverine issues by Tieri(with Mauvais as a villain)however, was spot on...which I know was before Austen, but it portrays her very differently. Tieri wrote her as the noble demigoddess....which is how she should be written. She was also written very well in the later Wolverine issues, when Dept. H was infested with a demon and Shaman and Wolvie had to save Alpha from it. I wouldn't be surprised if the gods of the north wiped Narya's mind of the knowledge of her husband and child too, in an effort to use her as a weapon against the Great Beasts without the hinderance of those memories. I believe they would do whatever is necessary to acomplish their goals. If that makes them sound cold? Well....why wouldn't they be....they're not human, after all.

As Rich said "Yep once it's in there we are stuck with it." I have to disagree. Austen may have screwed up on some dialogue in a couple of panels(the artist also screwed up in making her eyes a normal blue), but it can be ignored...and Snowbird could be written better by Lobdell or whoever down the road.

Dana

Well I wasn't the original person to say "Once its in there we are stuck with it" but I did agree with it that it is there in print. I didn't say that it could not be explained away or that future issues of a comic could not portray it differently. Anything can be changed and a good writer can create a story to effect those changes.
    Richard Vasseur