Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Yukon Jack and Snowbird

Default Yukon Jack and Snowbird

I have a strange feeling that Snowbird and Yukon Jack must be distant kin. After all, look at Yukon Jack's eyes, and his remark about being a "god among men". Is it his whole race or just him?

But if they're not related, I like Beetleblack's idea of Snowbird commanding Yukon Jack to be her paramour. I think Scott Lobdell may have set up some chemistry between them in the last issue, (#5). Yukon Jack and Snowbird would definitely make an interesting couple.

And I'd like to see Snowbird eventually have another husband and child. And have the writer get it right this time!

Good to see ya, Sue!

Im now actually kinda more sold on the idea that Yukon Jack is Snowbird's son, and that the villagers are there to keep him safe. his inability to harm any animals native to the North may be to keep him from inadvertently killing a mother that he doesn't even remember...

Default Yukon Jack and Snowbird

Interesting theory, bigbloo! And good to see you, too!

I've noticed that a lot of fans seem to believe that Snowbird's son has survived in one form or another, (such as Snowbird's ressurrected body having been taken from his DNA, or his being Yukon Jack). And I'm all in favor of his being revived. His awesome potential (suggested in Alpha Flight volume 1, issues 36-38, and 44) has never really been given the chance to develop.

I don't think they're related or connected at all to be fair.

I'm with you I don't think they are related either. But since Yukon Jack can't harm a Canadian animal does that apply to Canadian people since they are animals to?
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    I'm with you I don't think they are related either. But since Yukon Jack can't harm a Canadian animal does that apply to Canadian people since they are animals to?
    Very good point, Rich
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Was it stated that YJ can't harm animals, or was it more a case of him taking on the hunters as they kill for fun. I don't think the dietary habits of YJ and his kin has been covered, or did I miss a couple of speech bubbles somewhere?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

IIRC, Del, Yukon Jack stated in #5 that he can't harm a "beast of the land," which can be interpreted in more than one way. Just Canadian animals? Animals in general? Who knows?

Very ambiguous statement I thinks. What happens if a Moose on pleasure bent approaches in an inappropriate way. Then you have the concept of whether man is beast/animal or higher lifeform. Must re-read #5. Cheers MML
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Unpleasant image now stuck in my head, and that loincloth ain't going to be much barrier.
    What happens if a Moose on pleasure bent
    For something more "realistic" (at least have a chance of happening, can Jack fight a Wendigo? Is a Wendigo man or beast?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Well, as we know by now, as of Alpha Flight volume 3, issue 12, Snowbird and Yukon Jack officially became a couple! I can't say I'm surprised to see that. My only complaints are with the rushed ending: we didn't get to see anything of their courtship or wedding. And I was also slightly put off by the mention of Yukon Jack's divorcing his "other wives"; I thought it made him look like an irresponsible playboy. My other disappointment is that there is no mention of their having children. Not that it's really necessary to the book, but I always liked the idea of Snowbird as a mother, (but maybe it's just me ).

I'm going to have to admit something a little shocking, considering Alpha's history. I always thought Doug Thompson was basically a nice guy, but I also felt he was a little out of his depth in dealing with Snowbird. (This was especially true in AF, volume 1, issues 35-38, where Snowbird's family showed their disapproval of her having married a mortal.) That said, I get the feeling that Birdie's god relatives approved of her match with Yukon Jack. At least, there was no mention of anything horrific happening to them. Any ideas on why this is, people?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    ...And I was also slightly put off by the mention of Yukon Jack's divorcing his "other wives"; I thought it made him look like an irresponsible playboy....I'm going to have to admit something a little shocking, considering Alpha's history. I always thought Doug Thompson was basically a nice guy, but I also felt he was a little out of his depth in dealing with Snowbird. (This was especially true in AF, volume 1, issues 35-38, where Snowbird's family showed their disapproval of her having married a mortal.) That said, I get the feeling that Birdie's god relatives approved of her match with Yukon Jack.
    Me, too, to all of the above.

RETCON ALERT: To me, there is a reason for Doug's dramatic shift from a nice guy [Byrne's version] to a raving lunatic [he-who-should-not-be-mentioned's version]: Doug is possessed by a Great Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    IIRC, Del, Yukon Jack stated in #5 that he can't harm a "beast of the land," which can be interpreted in more than one way. Just Canadian animals? Animals in general? Who knows?
    This leaves him wide open to beat his fish!

I for one don't think the "divorce" of Yuk's wives was necessary. Look at mythology. The gods are notorious for having multiple wives and lovers. If he's a god, why constrain himself to the boundaries man has set?

More of an ego thing on Yuke's part. After all if he's worthy of an actual demi-goddess why waste his time with mere mortal women?

Or maybe Birdy's the monogamous type.