Thread: New Warlock series

Default New Warlock series

I just saw Warlock #1 in the solicits. He's one of my altime favorite characters (Non Alpha that is) . I LOVED the old Jim Starlin Warlock stories. I really should go hunting for the recent Thanos series speaking of which.

Ben

I got so excited when I saw the topic title. Then I realized it was a new series for Adam Warlock, and not the Warlock from New Mutants. Oh well, I can always hope they give him his series back.

Just picked up Warlock #1 today, so far I'm quite impressed, but I'm curious to see how it fits in current marvel continuity. Anyone else get this book?

Ben

I haven't picked up this book but really like the covers I've seen from the solicitations. They've got a sci-fi/pop-art feel that fits well with the character's roots. I believe the cover artist is JH Williams, of Promethea fame?

Ben, how's the interior art? I've seen some other stuff from Charlie Adlard, but it's mostly been B&W.

-Mike

Yes, HH Williams is the cover artist. The intereior art is of the same genre. It's got that sort of "indie" feel to it. It's kind of dirty and raw, but with very clean lines. It fits the story quite well well. Here's a scan from it:

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=181

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Just picked up Warlock #1 today, so far I'm quite impressed, but I'm curious to see how it fits in current marvel continuity. Anyone else get this book?
    Just read this issue online and will say that it's generated some interest. I like how they've introduced the story and set up Warlock as the savior of mankind - you just know it's not going to turn out that way.

The art was very good, as well. Adlard's linework is much more refined than when last I saw it. And, it looks great coloured, too.

As far as continuity, I believe they've decided to set Warlock outside of the current Marvel Universe. Same with the Star Jammers mini series.

The Mile High web site has this entire issue available on its preview page, along with many others (Avengers #500, Madrox #1, Strange #1, etc).

Check 'em out here.

'later,

-Mike

One possibility for Warlock is that thisi s on the "Alternate Earth" that the High Evolutionary created, in which Warlock was basically the massiah, saving the world from the Man Beast if memory serves. This earth is so shattered, and falling apart at the seams, that I'm guessing it's the alternate, but perhaps a shadow of what our earth could become.

I'll definately read Strange #1 online, as I was thinking of picking it up.

Ben

Well, Ben, that alternate Earth was not really alternate... it was Counter-Earth, an exact duplicate created on the exact opposite side of the sun as our Earth, in the same orbit. Counter-Earth was stolen by a race known as the Beyonders (different from THE Beyonder) and put into a different dimension as a sort of museum exhibit. So it no longer exists, sadly.

I really hope the High Evolutionary makes an appearance (at LEAST) in this new series. He is like a father to Warlock, and Warlock considers him as such.

Wasn't Counter Earth, the home of the Squadron Supreme ? I tend to get a little confused.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Counter-Earth has also been the name used for the Heroes Reborn universe that now co-exists

Right, showing my ignorance here. Squadron Supreme lived on Counter Earth. Heroes Reborn took place on another Counter Earth that co-existed in the same place as the Squadron Counter Earth? It is this Counter Earth that will feature in the new 'Warlock' series and has been kidnapped by 'The Beyonders' to be turned into a museum and has some connection with 'The High Evolutionary'?

Confused doesn't even begin to describe it
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Actually, the Squadron Supreme come from Earth-S, in an alternate reality. No connection to the High Evolutionary's Counter-Earth or Franklin Richards' Counter-Earth.