Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comics this week

Default Comics this week

I just got back from the comic book store with the newest issues of New X-Men and X-Men. Chuck Austen has a very sold story line going on right now and I think that it is the best store that he's written so far in working with this team of characters. I like his new villians in this issue but there was some odd dialoge. I think New X-Men was great! There's the most about Dust in this issue than the whole year that she's been created. And the kids are put into teams! (and play a game of basketball!)
    That is all about my comics.
    I created this thread to talk about what comics you bought this week and what you liked or disliked about them!
    Talk away!

Hiya Erik/Airhead (which do you prefer) and welcome to the boards. I haven't picked up in almost two months so have a number of books to pick up when I get there. I never use to pick up anything with a X in the title, but that changed when Austen and Tieri started using AF characters in their stories. In regards to Austen, well I'd rather not go there, but each to their own I suppose.

Which books do you pick up monthly, ie: whats on your pull list?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Austen did the great War Machine black & white series. I recently remembered that and that being the reason I anticipated his run on X-Men.
    And I've thought the majority of that has been pretty bad, and his Avengers has me seriously not liking him.
    That said, the last issue of X-Men wasn't bad, although it has me questioning the need to have reformed Juggernaut, because this issue has him taking the role of pet character: smarter than the others, etc. He is also concentrating on Josh/Jay Guthrie, who has angelic wings and healing abilities, which makes the character such a blatant copy of that other guy with wings and healing powers that I am actually sickened by the utter lack of originality.
    The overall issue was decent, though, best he's done since before the Alpha with battle armor.

Give it a couple of years and the Guthries will have their very own comic. Sam, Paige and Josh/Jay so far, about four more too go. Imagine the book 'The X-Guthrie, Y'all' written by Chuck with art by Calimee
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Austen seems to do fine when he has one book per month with editors that actually edit.

It's when he's spread over 7 books with one set of editors that the plots seem to get stretched out to ridicule and have glaring continuity errors.

I don't think that all the hatred people have for him is right.

Marvel tended to use him as a go-to man at short notice for lots of books (Captain America, Eden's Trail, Exiles) as well as giving him 18 issues per year of Uncanny, and arcs on Avengers, War Machine v2.0, The Eternals. Plus his Superman:Metropolis maxi series for DC.

It's now looking like he'll be off X-Men from #170, and will just be writing his 2 titles for DC.

I don't want to bash him both on general principle and in deference to works of his that I have enjoyed.

His average now seems split, one horrendous story (or elements so bad they ruin the story) for every one good one.

I think one of his main faults is pet characters, Juggernaut, Annie, new Cap Britain, Josh/Jay.

I don't really look forward to "Avengers" with all characters who have never been Avengers before, but I greeted it as good news that Austen is leaving, and can't say I'm sorry to see him leave X-Men.

I wish him the best: May he have a very successful exclusive with DC, because I don't read much DC anyway.

I think they should do a series called "Skin and Bone" which centres around Husk and Marrow attempting to launch themselves as super models with hilarious results. It could also feature Donetella Versace (hey, she isn't a mutant I don't know who is!).

Either that or "Sage and Onion" centring around Sage and Husk (now calling herself Onion - because of the many layers of skin and not JUST to fit the title *ahem*). The two mutant ladies would travel around solving murder mysteries like the UK's very own TV hit "Rosemary and Thyme" (people outside of the UK think 'Murder She Wrote' with HRT but less sexappeal).

Do you think I should submit these ideas to Marvel??? Oh and if I suggest Wolverine guest stars do you think I'll stand a better chance????

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I don't want to bash him both on general principle and in deference to works of his that I have enjoyed.

His average now seems split, one horrendous story (or elements so bad they ruin the story) for every one good one.

I think one of his main faults is pet characters, Juggernaut, Annie, new Cap Britain, Josh/Jay.

I don't really look forward to "Avengers" with all characters who have never been Avengers before, but I greeted it as good news that Austen is leaving, and can't say I'm sorry to see him leave X-Men.

I wish him the best: May he have a very successful exclusive with DC, because I don't read much DC anyway.
    Do we know what he'll be writing at DC?

And is the Avengers now a completely different team or something??? I heard they were killing them all off to mark it's 500 issue (which seems like an awful idea!) but wasn't sure if it was true or not.

He's already writing one of the Superman titles (Action Comics I think?) and JLA.

I think it's #499 next week. The Invaders arc has NOT been bad, but the whole Hawkeye Wasp thing undermines it with blatant contradiction to the characters. Whatever happened to the Wasp who wouldn't date one of Hank's friends? Or the loyalty Hawkeye showed to Hank in AWC?
    One of those good stories ruined by one element.

Pitch this one:
    I think they should do a series called "Skin and Bone" which centres around Husk and Marrow attempting to launch themselves as super models with hilarious results.
    and do include Wolverine

Pitch this one:
    I think they should do a series called "Skin and Bone" which centres around Husk and Marrow attempting to launch themselves as super models with hilarious results.
    and do include Wolverine
    Okay, let's call it "Skin, Bone and Hair" - Wolverine can be their agent and he can have a fight with Donetella Versace who has the ability to make her skin hard and leathery!!!

Simply "Skin and Bone" is a catchier title.
    Maybe a spin off with Wolverine and Venom, "Hair and Teeth"?

I think it's #499 next week. The Invaders arc has NOT been bad, but the whole Hawkeye Wasp thing undermines it with blatant contradiction to the characters. Whatever happened to the Wasp who wouldn't date one of Hank's friends? Or the loyalty Hawkeye showed to Hank in AWC?
    One of those good stories ruined by one element.
    Sadly this often seems to happen when different writers get a hold of characters, they end up completely messing them around... although from what I've heard Austen has a real talent for it!

Or maybe a spin off with Husk and Angel and Northstar, "Skin and Foreskin"?