Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greatest AF Guest Appearance?

Marrina was a darling. And you're right: she was an underused hero. There was even a mention of this in one of the earliest AF letter columns, (something about Marrina's being one of the Alphans "least seen"). I won't argue with that!

I agree Marinna was underused so we need her to make a comeback! Have her re-join Alpha Flight and or get her own series. Except for Namor how many Marvel characters that are water based have had their own series? They should give her a try.
    Richard Vasseur

Those ROM issues were superb; I'll have to go look, but there was an AF/Avengers crossover awhile back called "The Crossing Line" that was fantastic; key moment was when Cap was thinking about what a great team leader Heather had become.

The plot was a little funky - a terrorist group took over a nuclear sub, and the Avengers were called in by the UN; however, it occurred in Canadian waters, so AF also got involved. But both the sub and terrorists were Russian, so the Russian super-team The People's Protectorate also got involved. Then some Atlanteans attacked and the nukes detonated and...well, a lot happened, let's put it that way.

The Crossing Line was another good example of Alpha being treated with respect and as equals. All those who turned up with Alpha had large parts to play in the story and whoever wrote it had obviously done some research on the team.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Wasn't that arc by Fabian Nicienza (sp)?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Oh, greatest guest-appearance: M-T-I-O #s 83 & 84

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    ... I think his writing on the Alpha title showed a general disdain for the characters.
    I've got nothing against Bill Mantlo personally, it's just that his work on Alpha Flight has to speak for itself, and it basically shouts how much the original characters were disliked. Everyone was either turned into a criminal [James stealing stuff to make Wolverine] or a psychotic* [Madison Jeffries] or both [Bochs], regardless of how ridiculous or implausible the transformation. Or they were just plain stupid [what was done to Heather, Puck, and Northstar is a travesty].

The one I find the most absurd is Douglas Thompson b*t*hing about Shaman and Snowbird not doing anything to save him after his fatal encounter with PESTILENCE---making them seem like badguys---without Thompson admitting (or the other Flighters mentioning or thinking) that he had badmouthed Shaman and the whole team while holding a shotgun on them! That's selective memory and half. Group selective memory, to boot.

*[Michael's suggestion that killing Kara as one of the options for Alpha Flight to consider went against his being a doctor and a shaman. While the Talisman heightened Elizabeth's character flaws, I'm not sure what it did to Michael; since he wasn't "The One Foretold," maybe he could be twisted all sorts of ways, despite being a more experienced practioner of magic. Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me]

Getting back to the thread, M-T-I-O #s 83 and 84 do it for me 'cause it's got the characterizations, the jovial and competitive spirit of Walt/Sasquatch, AF doing good deeds, and their limits.

I've re-considered since I've got Wolverine#'s 141 and 172. Add Wolverine#s 141, 142, and 172 to the best-guest list: (#141-142) Heather goes after her husband in a non-powered outfit (smart move, which she always should have done); the twins are able to generate that blinding light again, and; attempt is made to bring back Snowbird and restore the original Alpha Flight. Plus (#172), Somon is huge (though five-fingered, a piddly oversight), the Old Gods get to do something, and Alpha Flight is heroic. Yu and Chen's artwork and storytelling is commendable.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.