Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest AF Guest Appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk

Excellent write up that I agree with 100%
    I was a huge fan of Grimm's before I ever even knew about AF.
    The art was great too. Who drew that? I'd look it up but I'm at work.
    Wrtten by De-Falco, Art by Ron Wilson and inks by Chic Stone on both issues.

Oh and it's good to see I'm not alone in my thinking.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

De-Falco?

Woah.... That's suprising...

Wilson's art in those issues was superb. His version of Sassy was and is one of my favorite versions. Also the one cover actually had a Sasquatch stylized nameplate on it.

Another good AF appearance is Sasquatch in Contest of Champions.

Theres a scene where Capt'n America, Beast, & Sas are talking. Beast says to Sasquatch "What do they call you?" and all Walt responds is "Sir!"
    Cap then goes and thinks to himself "Wow, Beast has nothing on this guy!"

I'm at work so I'm paraphrasing but Sas gets alot of exposure in the limited series. Great stuff.

One of my favs that comes to mind is from an issue of the Infinity Crusaid, not sure which issue exactly. The Hulk is riding shotgun on the Silver Surfer's board, when he gets knocked off in a battle. He falls back down to earth, his clothes burning off as he broke through the atmosphere. He landed right on top of Sasquatch. A few pages later we see Sasquatch with a shaved back, and Hulk wearing an orage fur loincloth.

Ben

Does the first Xmen Alpha Flight Team Up count? It was a two issue limited series and i enjoyed it immensely. Had a great story, equal exposure for all the characters, did not start with an obligatory team vs team fight (though it developed into a spectacular battle between two groups made up of characters from each team). Just great stuff.

If that doesnt count, then id have to pick AF in Avengers for "The Crossing Line". I cant remember the exact issues of Avengers, but i liked it because it also didnt have the obligatory fight, and it showed a lot of mutual respect between the two teams.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Fave appearance

I'd prob'ly go for one of the X-Men - 139 & 140, mostly. The team gets -respect- (which it doesn't so much in M2I1 83-84), development, everything we want! Yay!

Oh, yeah, but I do love X-Men AF v1. Paul Smith's art is good - and, for me, contains the definitive pic of Heather, when she chews her glasses on the plane, talking to Wolvie. Though it -does-, sort of, begin with the obligatory teams fighting scene - Rachel attacking Shaman.

But I love to see Alan Davis drawing them in MTU ann #7. (The Spider-Man / Plodex one. I get MTU and M2i1 mixed up. 'Specially since they showed up in ann #7 for both series.)

"Fear me - if you dare."
    - Puss in Boots

So where's the next phase?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Default Greatest AF Guest Appearance?

I liked AF's guest appearance in Rom (#54, 55, 56? -- I'm guessing at the issue numbers here -- forgive me!). Bill Mantlo wrote those issues, I believe -- but here he got it right! He captured the team's closeness and precision teamwork well, and had them actually behaving as heroes in rescuing the townspeople from the flood. I felt this was basically a positive view of Alpha.

When you reread those ROM issues, doesn't it boggle the mind how bad he turned out on Alpha?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Default Greatest AF Guest Appearance?

I know. I remember reading these issues and thinking, "Why couldn't he have been this good on Alpha Flight"? It was just the kind of unity the book and the team needed. This is an excellent example of what Mantlo should have done with Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    When you reread those ROM issues, doesn't it boggle the mind how bad he turned out on Alpha?
    I just went and re read those issues and you are right on the money. Incredible isn't it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Not to mention those Byrne covers on the two main ROM issues.
    (But the third, AF's epilogue, contains one of the stupidest bits of comic art in my collection; Ant Man walking, and looking like a street-crossing sign... or a swastika.)

- Le Messor
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Default Greatest Alpha Flight guest appearance?

I remember Alpha's epilogue in Rom, (the first four pages of that issue). It featured a few excellent scenes with Sasquatch, Snowbird, Shaman, and Marrina. Even that little bit of Alpha was good. Why couldn't Mantlo have kept up this kind of quality on the regular book? It might have made all the difference in the first series!

I think Mantlo included them because Alpha was such a popular book at the time, he'd boost sales. I think his writing on the Alpha title showed a general disdain for the characters.
    www.kozzi.us

Loved the ROM series for one reason. It is one of the few times you get to see Marrina in action as a hero (not some mutated monster).