Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest AF Guest Appearance?

Default Greatest AF Guest Appearance?

Opinions please?

For what reasons?

State your case, promote your choice, fight for your decision!!!

Marvel Two in One #83-84
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Del, why do you think MTIO #83-83 is better than MTU Annual #7, and than all the other guest appearances?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Del, why do you think MTIO #83-83 is better than MTU Annual #7, and than all the other guest appearances?
    Where do I begin.

First of the fight between Sas and The Thing. Sas in his full pomp, not looking like a chump and nothing definite said about who was better or stronger.

Secondly the Thing sitting drinking tea in the Hudsons front room and bemoaning the fact that he was used to working with professionals. Given that the geezer works alongside the FF in a technological wonder and has lived in the same enviroment at Avengers mansion, yet was sitting in a front room on a sofa planning a strategy. Kinda epitomised peoples perception of the two countries ways.

It also epitomised Alpha, reluctant heroes who don't embrace their powers, but accept that cos they have them they have to protect the weaker.

The fact that when theirs a problem with radiation problems, Walt is one of the first mentioned as an expert in the field.

The argument between Northstar and Aurora. Re-inforcing their two totally different ways of thinking, Northstar (the in it for my sister, jerk) Aurora the fun loving woman who see's danger as just another adventure.

It being shown that the great Shaman wasn't infallable, that even the most reliable make mistakes.

The battle scenes, Vindicator lobbing a car, Sas holding up the building, the reporters voice commentating and mentioning Alpha as an unknown Canadian task force.

Finally Walt not being able to do nothing for Bill Foster. Human interest and proof that there isn't always a happy ending.

So that's good story telling, good characterisation and none of that normal taking the piss out of Alpha.

Marvel Team-Up Annual #7 pales alongside, AF as a foil for Spiderman, non of the above. Reasonable story which doesn't even make me wanna waffle like I did above
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Team-up 7:
    AF's first meeting with Spidey. Cut the neuroses with a knife.

Pitting Alpha against a broader Marvel villain, the Collector, for reason consistent with both Alpha & the Collector.

An outsider's view of Alpha, also consistent to characters.

Attention to Continuity. Unlike many guest appearances, you know in context how this fit into the AF title.

Characterization characvterization, characterization. This appearance was Marrina, Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch and Puck. This was by Louise Jones, but character motives and actions flowed like they did in Byrne's work of the time.

No matter how internally belligerent, AF pulls together for one of their own. In fact, the reason the team was assembled at the time was support for Heather following Mac's death

Alpha didn't come off with the polish of the Avengers or the familial sense of the FF, they came off as Alpha: co-workers who don't necessarily like each other, but will pull through to get the job done.

Some development of the Plodex race without making them yet more humanoids in the MU.

Characterization intriguing enough that Spider-Man reader might have been interested enough to give AF a try.

One of all of four or five times Marrina has actually worked with Alpha Flight.

Hint at Northstar's orientation.

Competent art.

Great story. Showed the strength of Alpha Flight: the strengths and weaknesses of the assembled characters

BTW, Phil, shouldn't the guy starting the thread be putting in his own pick?

Nope, I just get to play devil's advocate.

Hard to complain about the lack of suggestions if you don't put your own...?

I'm not complaining, just drumming up interest.

I have to remain impartial for the next stage.

I can't think of a good AF apparences. I likes Walt apparences in FF the issue Sue lost the baby, but except from that, I usually don't find their guest apprarences memorable

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Where do I begin.

First of the fight between Sas and The Thing. Sas in his full pomp, not looking like a chump and nothing definite said about who was better or stronger.

Secondly the Thing sitting drinking tea in the Hudsons front room and bemoaning the fact that he was used to working with professionals. Given that the geezer works alongside the FF in a technological wonder and has lived in the same enviroment at Avengers mansion, yet was sitting in a front room on a sofa planning a strategy. Kinda epitomised peoples perception of the two countries ways.

It also epitomised Alpha, reluctant heroes who don't embrace their powers, but accept that cos they have them they have to protect the weaker.

The fact that when theirs a problem with radiation problems, Walt is one of the first mentioned as an expert in the field.

The argument between Northstar and Aurora. Re-inforcing their two totally different ways of thinking, Northstar (the in it for my sister, jerk) Aurora the fun loving woman who see's danger as just another adventure.

It being shown that the great Shaman wasn't infallable, that even the most reliable make mistakes.

The battle scenes, Vindicator lobbing a car, Sas holding up the building, the reporters voice commentating and mentioning Alpha as an unknown Canadian task force.

Finally Walt not being able to do nothing for Bill Foster. Human interest and proof that there isn't always a happy ending.

So that's good story telling, good characterisation and none of that normal taking the piss out of Alpha.

Marvel Team-Up Annual #7 pales alongside, AF as a foil for Spiderman, non of the above. Reasonable story which doesn't even make me wanna waffle like I did above
    Excellent write up that I agree with 100%
    I was a huge fan of Grimm's before I ever even knew about AF.
    The art was great too. Who drew that? I'd look it up but I'm at work.