Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Grabbing Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory

Soooo...I hear the cricket's been good of late?

Oop no wait...anyone remotely interested in that isn't from NZ. >=)
    Hell was full, so I came back.

We're crap at everything.
    This I know.

if it involves rugby NZ is notorious for being really good at it...cricket however is a joke I think when you consider that we can't play it for s***e. so I was quite surprised to see that we actually WON a game! I think the country would go spastic and blow up if we ever beat India, Pakistan or the W.Indies. lol

Oh dear, apparently - according to a straight man at work anyway - poor old Timmy Henman has been knocked out of the tennis, so all those middle class, middle aged house wives will have to go back to their jam making and pics of Prince Wills in 'Hello!' magazine to provide their hot flushes.

From Eddie the Eagle to Timbo Henman, glorious failures one and all. Beat Phillipouses and then go out to an unseeded player. Win the Rugby World Cup and then get slaughtered in pratically every match since. Win two test series and then play one day cricket like you don't know one of the bat from another.

We give the world soccer, cricket, rugby and tennis and wind up **** at every single one. Thing is, it'll piss us of for a few days and then like blind fools await the World Cup qualifiers to begin and raise our adrenalin levels in the misguided belief that we might actually win the thing.

God we are sad bastards, but thats what being British is all about
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    We give the world soccer, cricket, rugby and tennis and wind up s**t at every single one. Thing is, it'll piss us of for a few days and then like blind fools await the World Cup qualifiers to begin and raise our adrenalin levels in the misguided belief that we might actually win the thing.

Hmmmmm????
    Sounds like a typical Toronto Maple Leaf Fan to me!!! (that's a hockey reference for you other-than-canadian types)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
    Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    We give the world soccer, cricket, rugby and tennis and wind up s**t at every single one. Thing is, it'll piss us of for a few days and then like blind fools await the World Cup qualifiers to begin and raise our adrenalin levels in the misguided belief that we might actually win the thing.

Hmmmmm????
    Sounds like a typical Toronto Maple Leaf Fan to me!!! (that's a hockey reference for you other-than-canadian types)
    Or for the Americans on list...the equivilent of being a fan of any Pittsburgh team. lol They win a title once and are never heard from again...well except the Steelers but alas it's been a while. While Mum and I are from NZ, Dad is from just south of Pittsburgh PA and we tend to cheer for them around this house...especially come football season. *le sigh*

We get quite a lot of North American sport on our tv's late at night. Sometimes Ice Hockey, but mainly Baseball. Last night I watched about twenty minutes of the Yankee's v The Red Soxs, then was distracted by a film on another channel where a lady was doing bizarre things with a student. The film won out
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!