Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grabbing Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory

Quote Originally Posted by ladymako71
    Damn. Reminds me of the Venezuelian goalie who was bumped off a few years ago after only being home less then 24 hours after missing a save that won the match for the other team in the football World Cup. =/
    That was a lot to do with the Columbian drug cartels who were trying to launder money through a betting coup, it was a Columbian striker who missed a sitter and got blown away when the team got back to Bogota.

During the 98 world cup, Bavid Beckham got sent off during a match with Argentina. It was a petulant foul on a player who was goading him. He was villified by the press and an effigy was hung up from a lamp post. Threats were made against little Brooklyn and crude comments were made, even during English matches. Every ground he went too he copped ****. There was even talk of him going abroad to play. During the next four years he re-invented himself and is now like unto a god, or at least a liccle cherobim

I don't know if it's the same elsewhere, and it's certainly not as bad here, where a player is threatened with violence (not often), but we still have this thing where we build a player up to be the next Pele, and then take great pleasure in knocking them off the pedestal we have unfairly put them on.

Coom'on Tim is next. He'll get through a few rounds of Wimbledon, maybe make the semi-final, make a **** up and then the papers and people will be questioning his bottle and making personal comments.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

that's right! I thought I got the country wrong when I posted that...must have Venezuela on the brain or something...

I see you're parked in front of Wimbleton now huh? Same here around this house.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

To be truthful, I haven't watched any Wimbledon this year. Pissing down with rain a lot, so there's a chance I might turn on the box to see play suspended and an ever youthful Sir Cliff Richard singing 'Summer Holiday' with 'has been' woman players swaying away in the background like pre-menopausal orangutans

I might see Coom'on Tim make it to the second week as the only surviving British player, only to fall at the semi-final stage and then get villified in the press. Wimbledon only goes on my telly when McEnroe is on, at least he tell it like it is. To then I shall watch the grand prix on the of chance that Schumacers engine blows up and some other bugger wins, I shall watch the New Zealand rugby team continue to run all over us and continue to watch the footie cos we're looking quite good.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

yeah Mum has been getting a ton of stuff done despite the fact that it's Wimbleton time. lol If there's one thing NZ excels at it's rugby! lol I'd mention yachting but the bloody Swiss cheated and bought ost of the NZ racing crew so they could steal the America's cup...the injustice! ahem any hoo I'm foaming at the chops so I shall desist.

That America's Cup for yatching ? I vaguely remember some controversy about it, but sailing isn't really for me. Never sure what's actually going on. I'm not sure the contestants know either,
    "Are we winning Tarquin?"
    "Haven't a clue Tristam"

As for Wimbledon, well today Greg Rusedski (our tennis player since he defected from Canada (perhaps he thought he was a spy, cos he's **** awful as a tennis player)) is on court. He'll be of court a hour and half later and go on his holidays.

Tonights the biggy, England v Portugal footuie quarter final. There'll either be a lot of noise here later, or a great gnashing of teeth, you'll know in 14 hours.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Tonights the biggy, England v Portugal footuie quarter final. There'll either be a lot of noise here later, or a great gnashing of teeth, you'll know in 14 hours.
    Either way I'll hear both...I know fanatics from both countries. ^^

.................................................. ....................

so I gathered. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Seconded, words fail me
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Seconded, words fail me

burN@,... lol

Thanks Sylvie, thats's all I needed, a pic of Beckham kicking the ball in the air , but I must admit that the pic of Pier Luigi Collina had me LMAO
    Del

oh that's just spooky lol Where on earth does he find these things, Sylvie?

Thanks Sylvie, thats's all I needed, a pic of Beckham kicking the ball in the air , but I must admit that the pic of Pier Luigi Collina had me LMAO
    That was not me, it was Burn@ but I did agree with him (he forgot his password for his profile). And I we did not knew about Pier Luigi, but I do agree that it do looks like him

Are you happy, the french got eliminated too yesterday I can't wait to see Les Guignols and see what htey are going to say about this.

as I side note, if he would like me to reset his PW, just PM me or Phil with what he would like it to be, we'll fix it up.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    That was not me, it was Burn@ but I did agree with him (he forgot his password for his profile). And I we did not knew about Pier Luigi, but I do agree that it do looks like him

Are you happy, the french got eliminated too yesterday I can't wait to see Les Guignols and see what htey are going to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois

I would have liked for the English to get through to the final and face the French again, but it wasn't to be. Whether I am pleased about the French going out, surprised, but not overly pleased. I guess it's between the Dutch and the Czech Republic, I think the Dutch will have to much for Portugal.

At least Coom'on Tim has made it to the second week at Wimbledon, but the amount of expectation the public have in him will probably mean he'll go out in the quarter or semi, if he can get past Phillipousis
    Del