Poll: Northstar...Yes or No to the pointed ears?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northstar....Yes or No to the pointed ears?

Default Northstar....Yes or No to the pointed ears?

Ok, a little ranting by me. And JP isn't too happy about it either. :P

Question, why are some of the artists drawing JP without pointed ears? He's got pointed ears for god's sakes. Ever since Byrne drew him back in the late 70's. Why is this minor detail(ok, JP just shot me a dirty look. alright... BIG detail) so hard to follow?

So, keep the pointed ears or not?

*Drumroll please...*

Myself? Pointed ears! Love them. I'm an elf lover. I love Legolas from LOTR as well. Except Spock. Never got into Vulcans however.
    Do U Believe in Xavier's Dream?

Like to discuss X-Men?
    Role Play your favorite Mutant?

and what about the hair? I like the black and white effect that almost only Byrne could do.

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    and what about the hair? I like the black and white effect that almost only Byrne could do.
    Yes, very sexy salt and pepper hair going on there. I agree! It seems some artists draw him with just white hair with no black visible.

I love him as Byrne drew him.
    Do U Believe in Xavier's Dream?

Like to discuss X-Men?
    Role Play your favorite Mutant?

yah, NS has to have the ears. He hasn't been well drawn in ages. I think that Henry would be able to do a good version though. He's got Puck and Sasquatch down well.

Ben

JP definitely needs the pointed ears!

and I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend the silver hair...not the white! White don't look right, although the solid silver = hot damn! at least IMO.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Pointed ears on both Northstar AND Aurora are a must. Over at Weapon X Aurora's ears have kinda been pointed but not so pronounced.

As for the hair issue - it's always been a bit confusing to me. Black, white, silver... I know that the twins are meant to have white and black hair, but Aurora is constantly drawn with black hair with no hint of any other colour. I can't imagine her with silver hair. I think they should just go back to giving them both black hair with white for definition.

Saying that the silver hair looks okay on NS, but if they are twins they should have the same hair colour.

You know, I've always wondered about the twins origins... the pointy ears, highly arched eyebrows. Mantlo said they were half-elves, though one of the later writers nixed that idea as Loki lying to them. So that means their origins have still not been resolved.

So how about this idea:

They are Namor's previously unknown children.

Jean Paul and Jean Marie would only be 0ne quarter Atlantean, so tht might explain why they don't have the ability to survive underwater. Plus, if their mother was some kind of mutant, that might explain where their light powers come from.

Interesting idea, although it would mess up all my naughty fantasies regarding Namor and Northstar getting it together...

*ahem*

Maybe we will discover that the twins have tiny wings on their ankles? (I suppose that would explain why Bryne's Namor and the twins looked very similar... although would that explain why all of Bryne's people looked the same, maybe they're ALL related )

I would like to see a proper origin story for the twins, but I don't think we'll be seeing one in a hurry.

They are Namor's previously unknown children.

Jean Paul and Jean Marie would only be 0ne quarter Atlantean
    I think the look is maybe an hommage to Namor. I think Byrne was a big fan of namar. And Sorry, it's Jeanne-Marie (Jean-Marie being a man). I know I'm a pain...

Hmmm I want more options... whta kinda poll only has TWO?? how about....

• JP should have no ears
    • JP should have pointed AND rounded ears... with 4 ears... think of the things he could hear!
    • JP's ears should be a mystery... he could wear a lot hats and headbands and stuff....

you know, I'm beginning to think there's a reason I have no friends...
    Swifty
    aka Tyvin on FFXI server Seraph.
    If I'm not at work or on MSN... I'm in Vana'Diel

Glad someone else turned the conversation to both twins. JP doesn't have them in the Ultimate line, but the most obvious gaffe was Aurora's appearance in X-Man several years ago.
    The Namor as father idea is a great one, although they don't need a mutant mother to explain the light. Namor was a mutant because he possesses traits neither parents exhibit. It was established by Alan Davis (I think) that second generation Marvel Mutants usually exhibit multiple powers, and not only those that the mutant parent/s have/had.
    And Mantlo did the Northstar hits on Namor thing.

No, he looks silly with them.
    Especially since he's now a mutant, err... an elf, or a mutant. maybe they should call him a Melfant and get it over with.

Ahh hell what is he this week?

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    In Ultimate X he is mostly dead and in Uncanny, he is mostly hiding in a cupboard, or would seem to be. That said, in both comics, he is a mutant, who just happens to have pointy ears.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The entirety of the elf thing was a (bad) joke by Bill Mantlo. If you were reading the book during Mantlo's run in the 80's, then you saw a character rumored and hinted to be gay start getting an inexplicable illness, caused by being kissed by another man, debilitaing Northstar with a severe cough and failure to heal, as if he was dying of AIDS.

Then, AF #50 brought the punchline. It wasn't AIDS, it was another fairy desease.

The nasty subliminal message in the end was that if he had been afflicted with such a desease, he should leave to go live with other fairies.

Don't only blame Bill Mantlo. The editors allowed this, as the AIDS crisis factored into decisions not to reveal outright that Northstar was gay, despite the hints being there from the first full appearance: "My brother is the fighter, I am the lover."

The whole ear thing doesn't really have anything to do with that bad elf story anyway. he had the ears when Byrne first drew the character, and unless he goes and getst plastic surgery, he should keep them. It's like if just because they didn't want Nightcrawler to look demonic, they five him five fingers and toes for no good reason. No point in changing something that has real history in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    No, he looks silly with them.
    Especially since he's now a mutant, err... an elf, or a mutant. maybe they should call him a Melfant and get it over with.