Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight's Newest Love Affair

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but IMHO it has got to be one of the worst AF appearences ever. Writers treatment of Wildchild has always been a bug bear with me. To begin with he was just your bog standard feral type that swamped Marvel. Lobdell and Furman made him an excellent character, that battle he had against his doppleganger during Infinity whatever really strengthened him. In X-Factor he was ruined and as for the teeth in #116, lets not go there.
    By the Infinity whatever thing, he had started to grow on me a little bit, but I never liked him as a mamber of the team. Part of this is a general revulsion for the sheer population of feral characters, and another, greater part was that he was writer-du-jour's pet character. When Scott came on Alpha, he cleared a lot of chaffe and brought in Wildheart, and the book began to get a feel of "Wildheart and Alpha Flight." This isn't a specific criticism of Scott as many writers do it. On Alpha alone, there was Mantlo and Jeffries, and Hundall and Talisman. Nicienza and Furman
    did manage a better balance of characters, which should be an objective on a team book. Wildheart came on too strong, and followed the Mantlo pattern of pet character: build a relationship with Heather.
    While I personally don't really have a problem with Feral types, given that if you catergorise Super Heroes/Villians then the majority would show up to be modelled on a some previous type. With Ferals and Gun toting Enhamced types, you have the problem of the prototypes being such strong popular characters. This gives characters of those types being immediately measured up against them and failing miserably.

I understand your problems about certain writers concentrating on specific characters, but I work from the fact that those you mentioned were very two dimensional before this concentration on them. Wildchild was a feral type, he became Kyle Gibney, kidnapped youth, this opened up more possibilty for character depth and something more than the Snarl, slash, hissy fit type of behaviour we had seen from him before. I do think that Scotts and then Simon Furmans depictions of Wildchild were some of the best in regards to what you reference as writer-du-jour's pet character.

I kind of look at Wild Child as a foil for Wolverine, that WC's failure to stay risen above feral nature strengthens Wolverine's heroism in maintaining the fact the he overcame his yet retains the feral streak as a personal "Weapon Omega" if a fight is just too down and dirty.
    We saw that from Wildchild during the infinity what not, but all that developement was lost after vol 1 went bye and bye and WC's treatment in X-Factor. How many times has Wolverine lost or come close to giving in to his feral side, it's a tired old plot line that gets dragged out every now and again. I work on the theory that when Wildheart first appeared in #101, he said that he was in control because of medications provided by Dept H. I hold out hope that if returned to Af and put back on that same medication than the more controlled strong character can re-emerg.

I like what has been done with WC in Weapon X, in a "White Fang" kind of way, that this man is sadly an animal, but one that can be domesticated. WC remembers Aurora by scent and appearance, but I would imagine a sever split personality might be stressful to a household dog. I've liked Tieri's story along those lines greatly because the Program has made WC victim enough, and Aurora increased the victimization by nature of her character, with character consistency. Aurora's dirching of Jeffries is justified because he was never really all that nice to her. Her abandonment of WC is something else entirely.
    I have no qualms with what Tieri has done with WC in Weapon X because that the was the natural path to take following events in X-Factor #143. It's been shown that WC is more than an animal and could be again, but as he is at present, then yea, he's nothing more than a subservient pet who retains some knowledge of better times, surely if he still has a devotion to Aurora then it would suggest that, he is probably more human than animal. Also is his subservience down to his regression to Beastial form, or the fact that he was horribly abused by Sabretooth, who stripped away a lot of WC's humanity?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I do have to agree to Wildchild been the pet du jour and AF could have been called Wildheart and Af in those old AF issue. The thing is, when you don't care for the character, it can get pretty boring, which was my case. Plus, Wire is my number 2 worst AF character ever, which do not help for my liking of the character.

I thought Wyre was okay, but only because he wasn't overused. I would have preferred more balance with Wildheart in those post 100 issues, and find some fault in the thinking of pare down a crowded book from long term characters, then add your own. Scott & Simon made WC a little less Wolverine, but those developments haven't lasted as much. WC is a character I like enough as part of an ensemble, without a constant focus on just him.

Btw, on the subject of WC - how old is he in the current run of Weapon X??? He seems to have reverted to practically a child.

That's a good question.

*consults the X-Men Marvel Encyclopedia*
    *comes up with no answer*

Hmm...

He came across as quite young and inexperienced in X-Factor, and was seen skateboarding in Vol.2, so I dunno....

I'll ask Frank on X-Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Btw, on the subject of WC - how old is he in the current run of Weapon X??? He seems to have reverted to practically a child.
    Looky what Jo found?

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotli...=10&fldAuto=81

I'm guessing by this he'd be about 20 or so.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

hey, good reference site!

*sigh* this reminds me, that I really gotta get off my but and do my WC bio for AF.net. He's probably the only former AF member that's currently active in the Marvel Universe that I don't have a bio on. Stoopid crazy living in two provinces life!

Ben

Zuzha and Walt. She's gonna make him wear that French maid outfit before this is all over. Just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Zuzha and Walt. She's gonna make him wear that French maid outfit before this is all over. Just wait and see.
    Now see? It's this type of thinking we need more of on this list!

<3<3<3<3 I love you. =)

... and Walt will respond by wearing it while ten feet tall and furry.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    Jo, I smell a fanfic in the works...
    Aww now see? Yer just asking for trouble now. ^^ Although I must admit the idea is 'tempting'. VERY Tempting! mwahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    ... and Walt will respond by wearing it while ten feet tall and furry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    Jo, I smell a fanfic in the works...
    Aw now see? You two have REALLY done it now! If I could record my brain processes right now, you'd both be on the floor laughing yer a***s off.

You see it in society all the time! ala Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas. I don't think Walt and Zuzha are that much of a stretch. But then again if the old team has been saved who says it has to be one of the newbies? Perhaps Mac will die again and Puck will step up and help raise the young Hudson!

Barnacle13