Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight's Newest Love Affair

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Don't Namor & Marrina count as off-ages romance also?
    Does the couple of thousand years she spent as an egg count towards her age?

Not unless you count your own birthsay from the point of conception, which might lead to more information than you'd want to know.
    Byrne depicted Marrina in a range of maybe 18 - 22. Namor's been around since before the 20's.

I believe Namor was conceived during World War 1.

The big this is age is largely perception of the individual. Namor, still in the prime of life despite having lived for decades probably doesn't feel old. That's the thing with near immortality, it's likely to skew your perceptions of how old is old.

Exactly, Wolverine is older than Namor and I don't think he's made it with any immortal women. So there's probably an 60-80 year age difference with most of his girlfriends.

For that matter, I don't think Namor or Wolverine have in fact had women in their lives for protracted periods. I don't think they have married and ended up watching their wives grow old and die.

Well, Wolverine is like the Captain Kirk of the Marvel Universe, any woman he seems to fall for ends up dead.

So, back to AF - how man love affairs were there amongst the team members in the original run?

Aurora + Sasquatch
    Aurora + Box I
    Vindicator + Mr Jefferies
    Mr Jefferies + Diamond Lil
    Purple Girl + Manikin

Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Aurora + Sasquatch
    Aurora + Box I
    Purple Girl + Manikin

Anymore?
    Well I was of the opinion that Heather may have had a thing with Wildheart (what a bloody silly name). Plus there was the off panel thing between Wildchild/Aurora, which led to the literary classic 'X-Factor #116'(?)
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Well, Wolverine is like the Captain Kirk of the Marvel Universe, any woman he seems to fall for ends up dead.
    As opposed to Namor, who doesn't watch his wives grow old and die, just die? Usually still during the honeymoon period, if they even last that long?

Aurora + Sasquatch
    Aurora + Box I
    Purple Girl + Manikin

Anymore?
    Snowbird and Doug
    Mac and Heather

If marriage makes it something other than an affair, do Persuasion and Manikin count? I'm not sure they ever did the deed, just flirted a lot.

Well I was of the opinion that Heather may have had a thing with Wildheart (what a bloody silly name). Plus there was the off panel thing between Wildchild/Aurora, which led to the literary classic 'X-Factor #116'(?)
    You being sarcastic about X-Factor 116? I thought it was pretty good, except for the fact that while they printed a letter I remember about how they were making Wild Child a cheap copy of Wolverine and denied the assertion, the issue opened with him riding a motorcycle, just like Wolverine.

I think the romance between Heather and Wildheart was the idea of the writer (Scott!) and was quickly abandoned when he left the title.

Aurora + Sasquatch
    Aurora + Box I
    Purple Girl + Manikin

Anymore?
    Snowbird and Doug
    Mac and Heather

If marriage makes it something other than an affair, do Persuasion and Manikin count? I'm not sure they ever did the deed, just flirted a lot.
    I was thinking more along the lines of inter-team relationships.

Not sure if Mac and Heather count - were they a couple while members of the team (at the same time), when Mac came back the first time he was more machine than man so don't know if he and Heather actually had much of a relationship at that time.

I counted Persuasion and Manikin because they did have a budding romance going on and it had stuck in my memory. They probably didn't 'do the deed' though as you say.

You being sarcastic about X-Factor 116? I thought it was pretty good, except for the fact that while they printed a letter I remember about how they were making Wild Child a cheap copy of Wolverine and denied the assertion, the issue opened with him riding a motorcycle, just like Wolverine.

I think the romance between Heather and Wildheart was the idea of the writer (Scott!) and was quickly abandoned when he left the title.
    I probably was being excedingly sarcastic about #116 X-Factor. I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but IMHO it has got to be one of the worst AF appearences ever. Writers treatment of Wildchild has always been a bug bear with me. To begin with he was just your bog standard feral type that swamped Marvel. Lobdell and Furman made him an excellent character, that battle he had against his doppleganger during Infinity whatever really strengthened him. In X-Factor he was ruined and as for the teeth in #116, lets not go there.

In regard to the romance, Phil remeinded me of somthing on another thread and I qoute
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    He couldn't remember exactly what he planned, but while he didn't want them to end up together he definitely added an air of attraction between the pair, carrying on from what Scott planted.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but IMHO it has got to be one of the worst AF appearences ever. Writers treatment of Wildchild has always been a bug bear with me. To begin with he was just your bog standard feral type that swamped Marvel. Lobdell and Furman made him an excellent character, that battle he had against his doppleganger during Infinity whatever really strengthened him. In X-Factor he was ruined and as for the teeth in #116, lets not go there.
    By the Infinity whatever thing, he had started to grow on me a little bit, but I never liked him as a mamber of the team. Part of this is a general revulsion for the sheer population of feral characters, and another, greater part was that he was writer-du-jour's pet character. When Scott came on Alpha, he cleared a lot of chaffe and brought in Wildheart, and the book began to get a feel of "Wildheart and Alpha Flight." This isn't a specific criticism of Scott as many writers do it. On Alpha alone, there was Mantlo and Jeffries, and Hundall and Talisman. Nicienza and Furman
    did manage a better balance of characters, which should be an objective on a team book. Wildheart came on too strong, and followed the Mantlo pattern of pet character: build a relationship with Heather.

I kind of look at Wild Child as a foil for Wolverine, that WC's failure to stay risen above feral nature strengthens Wolverine's heroism in maintaining the fact the he overcame his yet retains the feral streak as a personal "Weapon Omega" if a fight is just too down and dirty.

I like what has been done with WC in Weapon X, in a "White Fang" kind of way, that this man is sadly an animal, but one that can be domesticated. WC remembers Aurora by scent and appearance, but I would imagine a sever split personality might be stressful to a household dog. I've liked Tieri's story along those lines greatly because the Program has made WC victim enough, and Aurora increased the victimization by nature of her character, with character consistency. Aurora's dirching of Jeffries is justified because he was never really all that nice to her. Her abandonment of WC is something else entirely.

Not sure if Mac and Heather count - were they a couple while members of the team (at the same time), when Mac came back the first time he was more machine than man so don't know if he and Heather actually had much of a relationship at that time.
    In an issue in the early 90's. I think they may have even been fighting on the cover. Much was made (by Clark, I think) of him being a cold fish and she being an ice princess. The issue ended with them in a locker room, and talking, and Heather dropped her towel as they hug.