Thread: District X / Wild Cards

District X reminds me (although I haven't read it) of something from Wild Cards (series of novels created by George R.R. Martin) was the place called Joker Town or something where all the 'jokers' lives? Chrysalis had her bar there I think.

Anyone have any idea what I'm gabbling on about?

No I have no idea what your talking about. Didn't there used to be a show on TV called Wild Cards? No super powered people in it though.
    That would be cool having a TV show about Alpha Flight.
    Richard Vasseur

Okay, going slightly off-topic then...

Wild Cards was the name of a series of books set in a world where for some reason (it may have been a virus but I can't remember) some people were imbued with super-powers (called Aces) and others were imbued or cursed with physical mutations (and called Jokers). The series of novels were created by George RR Martin (I think!) and had various writers. There were various characters who ran throughout the novels, practically none of which I can remember the names of! Maybe have a look on Amazon for more information.

So the Aces took on the Jokers. I wouldn't end up reading the series I only read a few different series of books now. Stephen King, Edger Rice Burroughs, and Original Star Trek, and Hardy Boys.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    So the Aces took on the Jokers.
    Strangely and thankfully no, just because some people had become Jokers didn't mean that they were bad, however they were considered freaks by many and so they ended up ghettoised in Joker Town (or whatever it was called).

Ok so the Jokers had to deal with racism. Where the Aces than treated as betters by most?
    Richard Vasseur

Dude, i LOVE the Wild Cards series.

Chrysalis was very cool. And Fortunato, and the Great and Powerful Turtle. Water Lily and the Sleeper Croyd. Jetboy and Golden Boy. Etc etc. Liked a lot of the other guys with powers too. There was a 4-issue comic book about it. Marvel Epic i think. But i preferred the books. i think they went up all the was to vol 12.

Cool Stuff!

Ah good, for a moment I thought I just imaged the whole Wild Card series!

I remember Turtle, Fortunato, Roulette, Golden Boy, Doctor Tachyon (??) Wraith and was there a girl with wings called Peregrine? It's been a LONG time since I read these books (and to be honest I don't even think I have them anymore!). The last one I read involved a Presidential candiate I think who had an evil Joker manipulating him by attaching to his back and sucking on his neck or something! I think the Joker was called The Kiss... I think this was also the book that featured Chrysalis's murder .

Yup, Tachyon is the alien guy. The aliens were the ones thats spread the Wild Cards virus on earth in the first place.

Yup, there was a girl named Peregrine who was very beautiful and had her own talk show.

Wild Cards vol VI is called "Ace in the Hole" and does have a presidential candidate who is an Ace. I cant remember his power, i think it was charm or pheromones, but he was in love with a woman whose appearance changed to become the ultimate fantasy of the guy she was with.

The President and woman sound like they are made for each other. I would what my ultimate fantasy would look like.
    Richard Vasseur