Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northstar's Current Status

Default Northstar's Current Status

JP gets a small cameo in X-Men #157 with the line "Am I expected to just teach?!"

So it's looking like while not being on any teams he's still considered an x-character and will be hanging around for cameos etc.

Default Re: Northstar's Current Status

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    JP gets a small cameo in X-Men #157 with the line "Am I expected to just teach?!"

So it's looking like while not being on any teams he's still considered an x-character and will be hanging around for cameos etc.
    Good to know he's not being limboed per se, just not used actively... and with a line like that, who could resist!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Those that can do, and those that can't...

Oh dear, such a waste.

I don't know whether to faint in relief or scream. I settle for 'thank bloody god he hasn't been shipped off to limbo' instead.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

I suppose we should be thankful that Marvel doesn't discriminate against gay teacher... just gay super-heroes it seems!!!

I don't think it's a case of Marvel discriminating, but more Austen bringing Northstar in to create interest and prove what a **** hot writer he is by having Northstar get all emotional over Iceman. That stories done so Northstar is now just a support character in X books.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Xavier brought him on board to teach and maybe occassionally help out the teams, so I don't think it's that bad a deal, although if any choice comes up, he should be with Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Xavier brought him on board to teach and maybe occassionally help out the teams.
    I dunno, personally it seems out of character for Northstar to accept such a position, he doesn't seem liek the type with inclination, or the ability to teach effectively.
    Swifty
    aka Tyvin on FFXI server Seraph.
    If I'm not at work or on MSN... I'm in Vana'Diel

Austen made it out that Northstar is teaching for the money...perhaps one of the minor details that add up to make so many people say he's a horriible writer. He's teaching business, although teaching French might have made more sense, and recruiting Aurora as a teacher would have made the most sense. I think it gets down to Northstar being a token gay for Austen. I never used to understand whay so many people hated him, but my esteem for his work has been falling a lot lately.

Northstar's teaching for the money???

I thought he was meant to be hugely wealthy due to good investments, his book and such like, why would he need a crummy teaching job?

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Northstar's teaching for the money???

I thought he was meant to be hugely wealthy due to good investments, his book and such like, why would he need a crummy teaching job?
    A hobby?

An altruistic hobby?

I think JP would prefer skiing.

All that said, is it better to have JP making very occasional cameos from time to time or having him go off into comic limbo?

All that said, is it better to have JP making very occasional cameos from time to time or having him go off into comic limbo?
    I dunno I'd rather have his character true and in limbo than have him exist in cameos only, in a position that seems out of character.

And I'm guessing his being in X-men is the reason Scott can't touch him. which makes it a real shame....
    Swifty
    aka Tyvin on FFXI server Seraph.
    If I'm not at work or on MSN... I'm in Vana'Diel

An altruistic hobby?
    When your rich, you become eccentric (or so I hear). JP hasn't had a whole lot to do in the last few years, maybe he just wanted to do something seemingly worthwhile to kill time until he can think of something better to do.

I think JP would prefer skiing.
    I don;t think so: first of all, JP hasn't put skis on since AF 41, where he was outted as a mutant. That kind of publicity does things against you. Just like people who are charged with plagarism will generally stop writing/whatever they do that got them the charges. To them, that kind of violation (especially if they DIDN'T plagarise) ruins the initial rush given to them from the activity for them (this I speak from personal experience).

Well, actually, it makes no difference either way: either way his character isn't progressing, but at least this way, there's a good chance of his character being reused in a better storyline later on instead of being forgotten as happens to most popular characters who just fall into the Marvel Abyss, as what happened with Talisman (in her time a VERY popular character, but since then, the only ones who remember her, are us, the Alpha-Stalkers).

IMHO, better to have JP at all then see him wind up forgotten.

In a way, he's a good character to have at the mansion, as his powers make him a reserve that can be deployed QUICKLY. Also by nature of his powers, there's no reason that he can't be in both X-Men and Alpha. I can only assume that Scott's plans contradict what Austen wants to do with the character. If that was the case but Northstar is now relegated to supporting cameos, he should be given to Scott, preferably immediately after a major X-Men arc so Alpha might gain more exposure by having an "X-Man" in their ranks.