Thread: Marvel Second String Characters

Default Marvel Second String Characters

Quote Originally Posted by MODERATOR
    There are so many great characters that have been created and have just been forgotten about. It would be nice to take them and make a team out of them. Woodgod, Brother Voodoo, Firelord, Cloak & Dagger I'd love to see a team with them on it. Add a few new people you could have another great team title.
    Richard Vasseur

As far as I can recall, Cloak and Dagger have recently been in Runaways or whatever that comic is called. Dagger also ran with 'The New Warriors', went on a mission with 'The Secret Defenders' and both her and Cloak worked with Daredevils ad hoc team ' Marvel Knights' (although they never called themselves that)
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Delbubs are you from London, England or London, Canada?
    I know you will see these characters once in awhile but I'd like to see them in a regular series that is ongoing.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Delbubs are you from London, England or London, Canada?
    I know you will see these characters once in awhile but I'd like to see them in a regular series that is ongoing.
    Hiya Rich, I'm from London England,

In regards to Cloak and Dagger they've had a couple of series, but seem to be not quite able to carry a continuing series. Bill Mantlo's first series of C&D was pure class and his origin for them very well devised. I do believe that some writer has cheapened their uniqueness by making them mutants and tying them to some degree with the Almighty X

Brother Voodoo gets dragged out of the cup***rd now and again for Doctor Strange type stories and Firelord is a hardy perennial who features in stories about Xandar or Galactus and I believe he had a four issue limited, but again characters who probably couldn't support a regular ongoing.

Rich, we've been moderated, check for bruises, we can sue
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The problem with these characters is that they are bland characters with no reason d'etre. These characters need serious reboots to be relevant, and whats the point of that when you can just create new ones?

Sure you can create new characters. But sometimes isn't it better to improve on what you already have? A lot of team books will take the team and remake them adding new characters or making abrand new team with old and new characters. That kind of sounds like Alpha Flight and that seems to be working.
    Richard Vasseur

Team book is quite different. But the individual characters, their continuity and old fan base become a burden limitting what can be done in the future, and it has no real benefits over a new character.

I LOVED Cloak & Dagger!
    Mantlo put the first step to ruining their great origin, by having a predator in the cloak, I believe at firth in the graphic novel. It got worse from there, although I think the concept that the drugs reacted with latent mutancy was a reasonable idea.
    They're great concepts and characters that have kicked around under too many different and contradictory uses, but, as much as I like these characters, I don't think they need their own book. In fact, I think they serve best as supporting characters for others: what does the star of the book see or feel when affected by the powers of either Cloak or Dagger? The effects are different for different people.

Another character from the New Warriors was Turbine the female one. She was terrific. Also Alex Power when he absorbed all his brother and sisters powers.
    What about villians I like Whirlwind he is not used anywhere near his potential. Hes as fast as Quicksilver has blades but doesn't seem like much of a threat he should be.
    Richard Vasseur