Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the Originals?

As much as I looooooooove Mapleleaf, Dana, I actually agree with you. But I do have to say this: I really hope that they don't do an Uncanny Alpha Flight book. Why? Simple. Sales will drop on one or the other if focus on Alpha Flight as a whole is split between two books. Alpha Flight, as it stands now, already isn't doing all that well. It's a variable that we just don't need. So essentially, I don't mind having things stand now the way they are, but I do agree that we should see more of the Alpha Flight that the longtime fans know and love. And Manbot. I would like to see Manbot.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Please don't start throwing bricks at me, but I've got to say this...How many All New, All Different Alpha Flight's are we going to see before we finally get to see the originals again? We're currently reading the second attempt at the All New, All Different approach and I'd rather see the REAL All Old, All Exactly Who Their Supposed to be Alpha Flight, then see them rot in limbo(or in supporting character hell)...but that's just me.

I love, love, LOVE the original team and there are still a lot of stories to be told with them....new characters are fine, but a glut of them with every relaunch is a bit too much. I just want the originals back. The bad sales and cancellation of Volume II should have been a sign to the Marvel Powers That Be, but they don't appear to have learned anything from it....cause here we are again with a whole buttload of new unfamiliar characters and a sad("lets all laugh at those Alpha Flight buffoons") premise(which really doesn't sit well with me).

Again...maybe it's just me....I miss Guardian(Heather...maybe Mac too, I guess...if he HAS to be alive again... ), Puck, Snowbird, Shaman, Northstar, Aurora....even Talisman, Madison Jeffries, Diamond Lil and Marrina....Wildchild(whether as villain or hero), Flashback(just because he disappeared, it doesn't mean he's dead), Box(Madison or whoever)....even Sasquatch and Nemesis can be kicking around(LOL). If I pick up an issue of Alpha Flight...I want to see this group....they need to be in a book called Alpha Flight, NOT a spin off book.

Dana

Again...no bricks please....I'm just venting to avoid impending explosion. Love to all.
    No bricks.
    Just agreement.
    100% agreement.
    The original team can easily (and well!) be done with the same tongue in cheek humor, and there's so many stories that can still be told.
    I wouldn't mind a u-decide format. Relaunch this ANADAF title with #1, the same month as a #1 of AF with the originals, and if he's in Limbo anyway, that should include Northstar. The first arc can be a search for Aurora and full of the bickering of this group of adults who work together, and work together well, but admittedly don'y all like each other.
    My sole complaint of SL's original run was how Puck and Sasquatch both seemed kind of chummy with Northstar. i.e.: Sasquatch calling him "the kid." Sasquatch would be calling him "Frog Legs", not "the kid." I do concede that Eugene probably likes Northstar more than he likes Sasquatch, though!
    No bricks, Dana.
    Just agreement.
    100% agreement.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    No bricks, Dana.
    Just agreement.
    100% agreement.
    Can't agree 100% as I'm actually enjoying the new series, but definitely no brick-throwing coming from this direction. I like the idea that there would be more heroes to join the ranks of what is called Alpha Flight, which on and off has been Canada's version of the Avengers. Look how many members they've had! The unfortunate side of it is that Avengers has a large fan base and has been around a long time. They can risk changing the membership around. I agree that it was a surprise to see yet a new version of Alpha Flight when the second series was composed of predominantly new characters and it didn't make it. I fear that the same is going to happen with this series, due to how fickle the market is. Let's face it - if the comments made on the Internet are really a true indication of what the average comic fan is like anymore, it's in a sad, sad state right now. Too many people are quick to drop a series before the story arc is even completed! What the heck do they expect from one issue? Instant euphoria and addiction? Give me a flippin' break.

Ahem. End of rant...

Code:
    Let's face it - if the comments made on the Internet are really a true indication of what the average comic fan is like anymore, it's in a sad, sad state right now.
    I don't think it is. People seem more willing or more of a need to vent the negative feelings and opinions, sometimes constructively, sometimes not.
    It also becomes a matter of glowing positive discussions don't last as long. An ongoing negative conversation will also allow people having a bad day or mad at work or spouse or whatever to get online and easily start spewing their internal blackness at people/situations that have nothing to do with their personal problems.
    On the Beetle's "Do I CURSE...?" thread on "Other Comics," the new forthcoming X-Force is being hit with disfavor. Maybe someone will post "I like this." They will be greeted most likely by silence, and possibly by "To each his own, but that's really bad!" I've chimed in on that too, so it's an observation, not a criticism. I keep from trolling by not giving more than one general negative comment. I'll discuss specific details that I found wanting more, particularly in defense of thrown bricks, but I don't think anyone needs to reiterate dsomething that in their opinion just "sucks"
    Not many people have been all that bad here, but the forum shows the same. Look back at the boards on the five issues that were out. The stronger and better issues in general have had fewer and shorter conversations than the issues the people have found fault with.
    That's just human nature. It's like any story. If all the characters are happy, the story is boring. The positive threads burn out faster, so you see more of the negatives.
    At the end of AF Vol 2 after the cancellation was annopunced, they said in the letters pages that all the fans that liked AF should have spoke up sooner.
    Or simplify it the weather: WHAT A NICE DAY. "Yes, it is." PAUSED SILENCE, CHANGED CONVERSATION.
    ""What a miserable day!" ISN'T IT! "This rain sucks." AND IT'S COLD. "It seems like it's been raining for weeks!" RUINED ALL MY PLANS YESTERDAY....
    That's just human nature. It's like any story. If all the characters are happy, the story is boring. The positive threads burn out faster, so you see more of the negatives. People are more inclined to say something negative.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I want Alpha Flight to be a ridiculously large team with a healthy mix of old and new, and every story arc, the roster changes slightly so that Alpha's sending in the best team they can send in the best team possible. This means that during a story arc, there'd be the Super Hero crap goin' on as the main story, and as a break from all the action, we could see character development amongst the charas not on the mission. (did that make sense? I'm listening to Strong Bad Sings and trying to figure out how to spell "fhqwbugads" as I listen to the song and type this simultaneously.)

Well I do agree I like the originals better. But this new is growing on me. I am kind of disappointed those Alphans that they were going to rescue turned out to be Plodex. So what happened to the real ones than? And why were we shown Snowbird hanging there?
    Richard Vasseur

My guess is that Alpha Flight is still strung up to the Plodex machinery, and Snowbird was shown in the final panel because of the perspective/angle from which we were viewing the new Alpha Flight. I'd wager that they're all still there.

Thats what I'm kind of hoping. If the Alphans are found and rescued it will be interesting to see what Scott actually does with them.
    Richard Vasseur

Look close on the last panel. The things binding Snowbird are coming loose.
    www.kozzi.us

Default The originals will...?

My gruess is that Snowbird will join the newbies, Puck will be lost or join the newbies, Mac & Hether will leave Walt in charge to concentrate on their baby and Shaman will go off to train Moss.
    www.kozzi.us

And what about that cute Plodex baby girl? I hope she grows up fast into a beautiful young woman.
    Richard Vasseur

I hope I didn't sound too negative....I seriously wasn't trying to. It just gets me down, thinking the bulk of the original team may well be shunted into limbo once again(Aurora and Northstar are in limbo part-time, at the moment...I don't want the others to join them).

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    And what about that cute Plodex baby girl? I hope she grows up fast into a beautiful young woman.
    Personally I thought it was a boy....
    Swifty
    aka Tyvin on FFXI server Seraph.
    If I'm not at work or on MSN... I'm in Vana'Diel

Yeah, I thought it was a boy too - isn't he the same character we saw as a figure/piece at the end of issue one on the 'Mousetrap' (Alphatrap?) board game?

Thing is we NEED Marrina back AND Northstar and Aurora!

Surely the Marrina plot is the longest running plot thread ever - we know that Marrina is in stasis aboard the Master's ship or something, so why don't Marvel put us out of our misery and free her!

Maybe it is just me hoping that it is Marrina I want her back. I want two Alpha titles. I want a whole line of Alpha titles.
    Richard Vasseur