Thread: marvel Comics Presents #139

Default Re: Q & A with Scott Lobdell! EXCLUSIVE to ALPHAFLIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by burN@
    Excuse me Scott, but i just have a request for you,... if you want too talk bout Quebec, don't call us french Canadian we are Quebecois. And we don't have a french acsent in english, we have specific acsent.
    Are you sure? Everything I know about Quebec I learned in MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #139 -- and those Quebec accents sure sounded French to me! Or maybe that was just Batroc the Leaper's narration I'm remembering!

Just kidding. It's cool that Scott has so many Canadian fans to help him keep his portrayals of Canada as accurate as possible.

Are you sure? Everything I know about Quebec I learned in MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #139 -- and those Quebec accents sure sounded French to me! Or maybe that was just Batroc the Leaper's narration I'm remembering!

Just kidding. It's cool that Scott has so many Canadian fans to help him keep his portrayals of Canada as accurate as possible
    My god that was horrible! marvel Comics Presents #139 and I think I'm very glad to never seen it. Batroc, is he the French super hero? If so, what he he doing in Montréal? Vacation I guess. Please M. Lobell, never make that kind of story with AF and please, get the accent right, it's my personal pet peeve with the french hore stereotype (can we say Murmur ? and some writer wrote Aurora like this). And if you want expressions and all I can help too.

Sylvie

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    My god that was horrible! marvel Comics Presents #139 and I think I'm very glad to never seen it. Batroc, is he the French super hero? If so, what he he doing in Montréal? Vacation I guess. Please M. Lobell, never make that kind of story with AF and please, get the accent right, it's my personal pet peeve with the french hore stereotype (can we say Murmur ? and some writer wrote Aurora like this). And if you want expressions and all I can help too.

Sylvie
    Yeah, I thought that story would rile-up you guys from Quebec. I agree that MCP #139 was pretty bad -- but that doesn't mean that Mr. Lobdell couldn't bring "Adahm" back and turn him into a respectable character (there are no inherently "bad" characters, after all, only bad writers!). He's like DC's Penguin with the powers of Marvel's Jean Grey -- what's not to like?! I mean, look at what Geoff Johns did with some of the cornier Silver Age Flash villains!

I could definitely see Adahm as part of a larger movement, perhaps teamed-up with Boussard and le Beaver! Well, maybe not "le Beaver" -- I don't think there's anything that can be done with him to make him more respectable (Howard the Duck foes rarely work well outside HOWARD THE DUCK comics)! Perhaps they could also somehow trick the feral Lynx in to helping their cause (yes, another Scott Lobdell creation who I'd love to see make a return in ALPHA FLIGHT!). I can already picture a stunning Clayton Henry 2-page Lynx spash page!

And speaking of all these Canadian villains in the Marvel Universe, who would like to see the return of the Ice Box (you know, the Canadian government's maximum security prison from MAVERICK (vol. II) #8 )?

I almost forgot how many non-ALPHA FLIGHT Canadians were running around there in the Marvel Universe!

I split this topic off of Scott's Q&A.

Ben

... ...

There are no words...

Suzene

I've been trying like 3 or 4 times to write an answer and someone or something happened and I could never send it. I hope it's the last try.

I've never read MCP #139, but from the description, it look very bad with full of french clichés, which is even more anoying since it's not québécois or french canadian (which ever the last one is). But it's true that Adahm could be reused with a lot of transformations like the costume and the accent changed or the personnality, but I don't know for that one. In which way putting a h in Adahm does it make it more french?

For Le boussard, I think Adahm and Boussard as the same person, which would make their name complete (Adahm Boussard). I though Boussard did not exist as a last name (like Belmonde do not exist, like in Raymonde Belmonde, the Northstar mentor, who had a women first name and a last name that did not exist) so I checked in here :

http://www.canada411.ca/eng/person.html

but yes it does exist, there are 2 in Canada. There are more in the US and in Belgium. You could check for the fun of it Beaubier and you would find out that they are all in the west, nothing in Québec. And in the bio is ennemi name is not even spelled right it should be Édouard.

Now for Le Beaver, when your name translate in Peter Toothpaste, I think there is nothing you could do with him. How come almost all the francophones are seen as fanatics or extremists? In Québec we only see ourselves are sheeps, not violent at all. That why St-Jean-Baptiste is our national day.

Lynx could be used but she do not seem interesting for me. I do not know about the ice box.