Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q & A with Scott Lobdell! EXCLUSIVE to ALPHAFLIGHT.NET!

K folks, lets put a hold on the questions until Scott catches up. He's a busy man, we don't wanna overload him

Ben

1) what part of upstate new york you from? i read somewhere that your schools colors were orange and black, i am from warwick originally before i relocated here to sunny florida.

MARLBORO used to kick WARWICK butt! (If I remember correctly, whoever was the home team had to switch to WHITE and BLACK with ORANGE TRIM when we played each other! And by WE I mean the teams! I was a Drama Club kid -- hard to believe, eh?!)

2) i read that alpha was extended another 6 issues, is the series running on a limited 6 issue block contract? and who do you have to beat up......er...negotiate with to ensure that alpha does not meet another untimely/unfair/uncalled for demise. in other words......how does the future look for alpha, and what determines it staying on the shelves for the forseeable future?

Sales! Sales! Sales! But I heard today we are EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS! So keep your fingers crossed -- UNCANNY ALPHA FLIGHT might just be a reality yet!!

And to HAPPY CANUCK who asks about

1] Deadlines. In the past, I have been known as something of a deadline nightmare, in comics, tv, AND in movies. But I am getting better. Examle, tomorrow morning I am turning in the scripts to ALPHA 11 & 12! And MAN are they WOO HOO!!!

2] Writer's Block: I don't know what I will do if I ever suffer from writer's block. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Q & A with Scott Lobdell! EXCLUSIVE to ALPHAFLIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by burN@

Excuse me Scott, but i just have a request for you,... if you want too talk bout Quebec, don't call us french Canadian we are Quebecois. And we don't have a french acsent in english, we have specific acsent.

And for NorthStar if he was in the FLQ, he's for independant of Quebec, so it's very important to call him Quebecois and not french Canadian.

But,.. if he's rejected the FLQ method, i'm sure he's stay with the Quebec independant ideology.

Thank you,... \/
    burN@ (Syvalois, boyfriend)

Bonjour, mon ami! Je vous ai remarqué n'a pas demandé de question! Mais c'est agréable pour vous rencontrer! J'essaierai de garder Northstar conforme Ã* vos souhaits, bien que je doute que je jamais pourra l'écrire! Il m'a été nié!

Garder la lecture! Scott
    A Quebec patriot !!!

P.S.: If you can see, i pratice my english here, so... if you answer me use a simple english,... please !!!

And if you want have more information about Quebec ask me !!! That will be a peasure.

And thank you ALPHA WAVE, too let me practice my english here.

Default Re: Welcome, Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Hey Scott! Thanks for giving us the opportunity to talk to you. I have to admit, I was one of those fans that thought that you could have cared less about Alpha Flight. Between the Banshee comments in Gen X, the Northstar comments in Uncanny and the rumor that you were planning an Alpha massacre storyline in the Gambit series before it got cancelled, I thought that after your stint on Alpha Flight, you considered Alpha a joke not worth appearing in a comic but to get mocked. Imagine my surprise when I heard that you were bringing Alpha back and my even greater surprise to learn that you are a true Alpha fan at heart. I am glad to have been proven wrong about your attitude toward this comic team. You are doing a great job and I look forward to each issue.
    Regarding the Gambit storyline, do you recall what your plans were? I remember reading in a Previews magazine that Gambit was going to Canada to investigate who was killing off members of Alpha Flight. Were you really going to write such a story? Who were you going to kill off & why? Who was the killer? Or was this all just a mistake in Previews magazine? (This is all just one question with many little parts... )
    Thanks!

Alas, I only have the vaguest of memories regarding the Gambit storyline.

Sorry. (You get two more free questions! LOL!)

FIEND28,
    Ragarding sales there seems to be the norma adjusting, but as I've said -- sales are HIGHER than projected! Always a plus!

Any chance of WEAPON X characters? I would say the chances rest somewhere between ZERO and NONE. The reason for this is two fold -- one, I have been told I can't use any of those characters, and B] I would have to actually read an issue or two in order to figure out who they are now. I have enjoyed FABE's CABLE & DEADPOOL so far, but no -- no plans for guest stars. I'd like to see ALPHA FLIGHT stand on its on without cheezy guest stars! (Which I know everyone is going to BUST me on come issue 6 & 7!!!! LOL!!!!!!)

BIGBLOO

Regarding your question about AURORA and NORTHSTAR...not to CONTRADICT what I just said in the above answer, but YES, Clay and I will be using them in a big way...eventually! You can't even GUESS at how outrageously we're going to pull it off! Never -- never before in comics! LOL! And probably -- never again!

RE: "Oh My God"? When did that happen? I think, though, that as she is a DEMI-goddess and not a FULL goddess, I think she might have more than one narror POV. But I'm guessing!

DWMCKIM

No, there has been no interaction between myself and Steven. He is too busy as SUPERWRITER to bother with me. ANd, as I have said before -- no offense to the creative team at the time, but I couldn't find VOL 2 any more boring a concept. I personally HATE seeing super teams yanked around by Big Bad Conspiracies. I want my heroes to be SMARTER THAN THE AVERAGE BEAR -- to watch them get yanked around (ESPECIALLY by an organization with DEPARTMENT H's history?!?!?) just felt wrong. (Look to issue SIX where SASQUATCH pretty much sums up my feelings about DEPARTMENT H! The editor told me when he was reading it he wsa thinkng "Why are we going to Department H...?" and then by the end of the scene he was like "GOT IT! Now we never have to mention them again!" I'm thinking youse guys will LOVE it! Woo hoo!

DWMCKIM

Thank you, but no more fanboy ravings -- the pleasure is all mine!

1] The DIRECTOR was going to be AUNT MAY. Honest.

2] Re: NEMESIS. This is the same NEMESIS we've always didn't know and love. I have explained elsewhere that JANE was just a name that LIL used -- short for JANE DOE -- because NEMESIS would never reveal her real name. Soon, all will be revealed -- and it is a heartbreaker! (I know, because I knwo what happens and it is saaaaaaaaaaaad! The girl DESERVES a BUNNY!)

RichV1

I got into writing after SIX YEARS of REJECTION letters! OOOFTA! SIX YEARS!!! What was I thnknig?!? I should have given up long before, eh?!

Regarding influences, I'd have to say STAN LEE and JIM SALICRUP -- two of the most talented and brilliant men in the history of the medium! They have forgotten more about comics than everyone else in the industry will ever know! Take a bow, fellas!

WEAPON O --

No plans for MASTER or MARRINA, just yet. But we're going to have to d something with the ******** that ********** finds at the end of issue *****, won't we?! Hmmmm.

PWALK
    Wyre Wyre, pants on fire!

Legerd
    Regarding the ICE FISHERMAN thing...Oooofta. Me am exhausted in regards to answering this question. Never has there been so many postings over one flashback panel. The truth is, I never meant to in any way misinterpet her origin in any way. I am sorry for the confusion this caused. If it will help, i will ask the editor to get Clay to do a NEW PANEL to paste up over the offending panel with the same ICE FISHERMAN from Byne's run -- then the fans can cut out the panel and paste it over the panel that has launched a thousand posts. = )

Regarding MASTER -- no, no plans for now. My feeling about villains is I will probably alternate. OLD/NEW/OLD/NEW...but no hints just yet, sorry.

Default Re: Q & A with Scott Lobdell! EXCLUSIVE to ALPHAFLIGHT.

Bonjour, mon ami! Je vous ai remarqué n'a pas demandé de question! Mais c'est agréable pour vous rencontrer! J'essaierai de garder Northstar conforme Ã* vos souhaits, bien que je doute que je jamais pourra l'écrire! Il m'a été nié!

Garder la lecture! Scott

For those who don't understand french, here is the best translation I could do:

welcome my friend! I see that you did not ask question. It's nice to met you. I would have kept Northstar as you wishes, but I doubt I could ever write him. I'm not allowed to write him.

keep reading! Scott

Merci M. Lobdell, je suis impressionnée par votre français. Il n'est pas parfait, mais mon anglais ne l'ai pas non plus. I was wondering if you could see the difference in accent between a french and a Québécois? If I looke at Gambit, I would say you wrote him as a québécois would talk in english except some expressions. I just hope the day of the "zee zee me brozair" are over.

merci

Sylvie

Quote Originally Posted by MAJOR MAPPLE LOB

1] Deadlines. In the past, I have been known as something of a deadline nightmare, in comics, tv, AND in movies. But I am getting better. Examle, tomorrow morning I am turning in the scripts to ALPHA 11 & 12! And MAN are they WOO HOO!!!
    ... All before issue 4 can hit the stands... not bad! Although if I may add this little tag on: HOW did you get yourself turned from 'deadline nightmare' to eight issues ahead of the publishers?

2] Writer's Block: I don't know what I will do if I ever suffer from writer's block. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Nope, that's why i was asking...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

... All before issue 4 can hit the stands... not bad! Although if I may add this little tag on: HOW did you get yourself turned from 'deadline nightmare' to eight issues ahead of the publishers?

2] Writer's Block: I don't know what I will do if I ever suffer from writer's block. Any suggestions?
    Nope, that's why i was asking...

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Default Re: Welcome, Scott!

PWALK
    Wyre Wyre, pants on fire!
    I appreciate the response Scott. My thing with Wyre is he always seemed to me to be nothing more than a Cable rip off. Thanks again!

1. Have you been in touch with the writers of the Invaders arcs and new series to get them to firmly establish outside the AF title that the senior Major Mapleleaf was at least for a short while, part of the original team, and/or guest star Mapleleaf Junior?

2. If your plans develop, will you use both Heather and Mac in Guardian battlesuits, Heather in the Volcanic Vindicator suit, or one of the two a stay-at-home parent?

It was never firmly established WITHIN the Alpha title that the original Major Mapleleaf was a member of the Invaders. In fact, it was never established, period. He was an associate of the Invaders, but he was not a member. Check the Marvel Appendix site, the one that details obscure characters, for more about this.

Here are some fun ones for ya Scott,

1. Who's idea was it to launch this volume of Alpha Flight? That is to say, did you go to Marvel, or did Marvel come to you?

2. In you brainstorming process coming up with this incarnation of Alpha Flight, did you have any rejected team ideas? Differernt plots or characters?

Cheers,

Ben

Hiya Scott, I'm being serious for a minute

1) In an age where more adult orientated comics (Authority, Class War, Wanted) and established comics (Avengers, X associated, Supes) etc seem to be what the public require, how difficult was it to come up with an Alpha concept that Marvel would accept?

2) With the market the way it is, can you be as free in your writing of AF as you would like to be or is your creativity and ideas for the book dictated by market forces and public demand. Was it these factors that lead you to the more humorous aspect of AF that we see?

That could be considered three questions, but I'm not very good at counting
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

It was never firmly established WITHIN the Alpha title that the original Major Mapleleaf was a member of the Invaders.
    It was firmly established in AF #106 that he was never OFFICIALLY a member, but that he participated "on many an axis-stomping adventure throughout World War Two." None of those axis stomping missions have ever been revealed.
    I was specifically asking Scott about this connection he created, seeing Mapleleaf Junior seems to be the statistic of character who whould belong to the modern Invaders team, but definitely something other than the dark and vengeful type that seems to be making the new team as seen in thisd week's Avengers: John Walker, Union Jack, Skull. At least a cemeo in the Avengers/Invaders would bring some more attention to the current Alpha books, something I would think we all wanted.
    It also might be an interesting tale to see if Walker and Union Jack had made a recruiting effort.

1) Scott, have you got any con plans/schedule for this year?

2) Ever consider coming over to England for a con, eh, eh, eh? Huh, huh, huh?

Besides the Liberty Legion story, any plans for having The Alphans crossover with The Invaders?

Here is what Allan Jacobsen replied when asked:

:What are your thoughts on the Character both
    : current and Golden Age?
    : Would Walker and Union Jack try and recruit
    : him? It would be cool if he were mentioned
    : at some point.
    : dan

:No real opinions on the chracter here. IIRC "Major Mapleleaf" was originally a snipe made by Banshee or Cyclops waaaaay back when "Weapon Alpha" or "Vidicator" first appeared.
    I only found out the character was "real" a few months back when the new Alpha Flight started. I can definitely see potential in a crossover with Alpha Flight---
    Allan !

Cheers,
    Dan
    danielsan