Thread: No flashbacks, no footnotes....

Default No flashbacks, no footnotes....

it was clearly stated in the X-Office, I can't remember right now if it was in the Morrison Manifesto in the New X-Men HC, or on an interview with Morrison, as well as Claremont's X-Fan board somewhere I think, that they weren't allowed to go back into the past and add details to events that never happened, so as not to confuse readers.
    I definitely remember that it was a line of Claremont's that editorial didn't want confusing-to-new-readers things even mentioned, such as Bishop being from a future possible timeline. An abosulte "no you can't, ever!" is a bit absurd, but I can understand the reasoning behind it as it often does create confusion. Claremont rose to the challenge well, giving Bishop lines like "I was a cop where I came from." New readers can accept that, old readers already know where he came from. And, this being Claremont, further explanation might have been too long winded.

Claremont also serves on the confusion angle here, also with X-Treme. My case in point is Magma.
    She comes from "Nova Roma" a time-lost remaining colony of Ancient Rome, where they still had gladiatorial fights (a fight plot I personally detest as ultimate cliche.)
    Later writers also found that lame. Instead of ignoring it, they filled in backstory that all the citizens of Nova Roma were kidnap victims brainwashed into thinking they were who they were. Magma, then known as Amara Aquilla, was revealed to be an Englishwoman named Alison Crestmere. The character was used well when she was used, and subsequent writers even followed through with Claremont's old future-hints that Magma was one New Mutant "destined" to go to the dark side.
    Claremont didn't like the erasure of Nova Roma, so recently undid the kidnap victime plot. He literally tore Mogma from the recent New Mutants book and began reusing her without explanation as Amara rather than Alison. In last month's books, he finally explained this, but I'm still sitting here with question marks dancing atop the old noggin while I cringe at the thought of new arena gladiator stories yet to come.
    X-Force #87-90 is a good read of the "interim Magma" and worth hunting down.

I believe Byrne's X-Men Hidden Years was axed due to the no-confusion policy, a real shame as it was a really good book, worth picking up as back issues. Yet another example of how some books are axed for reasons other than low sales!

Unfortunately, I don't think Marvel has the investment of resources and editorial personnel it once did to keep these things straight. They hear too much of every gaff, so would rather reduce the chances of making the gaffs by limiting the writers.

Marvel's refusal to use footnotes is a far worse policy. Scott Lobdell is using the Plodex now, and should be allowed a footnote or letter page text box that would read, "The Plodex originally appeared in AF Vol 1 "2-4, 14 - 16, Marvel Team-up Annual 7, now available in the trade paperback, "Alpha Flight, Plodex Eat Spandex." The trade could also include the AF/Avengers crossover where Marrina and Namor married. Thus the history is preserved, new readers aren't confused, and Marvel has some trade sales from newer readers looking for some history.

Default Re: No flashbacks, no footnotes....

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Scott Lobdell is using the Plodex now, and should be allowed a footnote or letter page text box that would read, "The Plodex originally appeared in AF Vol 1 "2-4, 14 - 16, Marvel Team-up Annual 7, now available in the trade paperback, "Alpha Flight, Plodex Eat Spandex." The trade could also include the AF/Avengers crossover where Marrina and Namor married. Thus the history is preserved, new readers aren't confused, and Marvel has some trade sales from newer readers looking for some history.
    THAT is a really nice idea.
    Possibly even throwing in sections of the Kang war over in Avengers, with Marrina's revival.

Make it a Marrina trade and includer her death in Avengers, and page slices of her captivity by the Master and the reference circa AF #78 to her false death at the bottom of the sea.

I'm not sure Marrina is important enough to warrant a trade, especially if Scott' not going to be using her.

Essentially the team, and the new reader, has just been told everything about the Plodex that they need to know from Sas.

Well, including a character information sheet, ala the old Offical Handbook of the Marvel Universe in the back of the comic might not be a bad idea.

Except that that either increases the ammount of work and pages or reduces the ammount of story.

I say, unless it actually adds to the story, it ought to be omitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I'm not sure Marrina is important enough to warrant a trade, especially if Scott' not going to be using her.

Essentially the team, and the new reader, has just been told everything about the Plodex that they need to know from Sas.
    Wait a minute! My girl finally makes another appearance in an Alpha comic and Scott isn't going to even use her? Is this speculation or did he mention this?

You know, I can kind of understand why there would be a smackdown on flashbacks -- even if I don't agree with the reasoning -- but if all those little reference boxes hadn't been in the early issues I picked up, I likely wouldn't have bought as many comics as I have over the years. It's handy to have a little reference blurb that lets you know which books'll do you good if you're interested in a certain character or event. A reference box lead me to the X-Men/Alpha Flight crossover, which got me interested in Northstar, which got me reading Alpha Flight...

Suzene

Northstar's in Uncanny. He thinks of his sister, the Weapon X title is footnoted, Marvel has plugged the title and probably made a few sales.
    In Avengers, Cap mentions he just got back from Cuba, the Cap & Falcon title is footnoted, Marvel has plugged the title and probably made a few sales. Spidey looks up when swinging through the city, sees Asgard, and the Thor title is footnoted, Marvel has plugged the title and probably made a few sales.
    One reason I read mostly Marvel to this day is because when I was a kid, a was amazed at the connected world, which was missing from DC at the time.
    I think they're wasting a valuable commodity.

Amen, Kozzi. I'm with the 'Pro Footnote' crew. It makes it a LOT easier to know what's being said if it's referenced
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

The only thing i dont like about the footnotes was when they started using the footnotes to hype crossovers or books that had no effect on your enjoy of the book you were reading.

It would be something like "Hey we need to fly to new york to rescue guardian."

"But isn't New York being overrun by demons" Footnote" Check out X-men Inferno to find out

So i just made up that example cause i cant think of one now, they were doing this around the time of Maximum Security or whatever lame ass line wide cross over they were doing at the time
    "Adjust is bland evil"

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend28
    The only thing i dont like about the footnotes was when they started using the footnotes to hype crossovers or books that had no effect on your enjoy of the book you were reading.
    *snerk!* There is that. It was really bad back in the 90's...I recall back when Ben Raab was writing Excalibur, issue #113 literally had a footnote box every other page for minorly related cross-overs that were coming out that month...or hadn't even been printed yet.

Suzene

What about cases like an issue somewhere between 45 and 50 of AF Vol 1 that had about 5 footnoted on on page to recap every element of the Sasquatch return, Northstar sick, etc?
    I had found that overdone to an almost comic bent.

I think there would be a need for some balance on the footnote usage. Say, no references to events inside the comic unless it's more than 10-15 issues previous. And keep references to other comics to other comics to one or two per issue.