Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshear

Default Windshear

Last time he was saw was in Thunderbolts right?

What should I know about him, I'm currently working on a fan fic with him and doing some research. Problem is, I have very few of his appearances.

Well, his name is Colin Ashworth Hume, he used to work for Roxxon before he ditched them for Alpha Flight, and he has a British accent which really gets bad when he's in a stressful situation. He was never too keen on the superhero lifestyle, but it started to grow on him. He was a mentor of sorts to the Betas for a time. He also served as Alpha Flight's chief administrator, and gave interviews to the media on Alpha Flight's behalf. As far as his powers go, if you have questions about "hard air", just ask.

I personally like Windshear.

Windshear was a good character, too bad his only real story was that one origin issue in Alpha (91 or 92 I believe?)

I haven't seen the Thunderbolts issue, was this the cool villans-going-legit T-Bolts or was this the ugly-ass-toon-art-Fight-Club-ripoff Thunderbolts?

The former, back when Nicieza was writing it.
    The storyline featured Roxxon too.

In the volume one series Windshear was growing on me. It was a shame that he was played down as an administrative character, although he did cut loose with the Betas for a couple of issues. It's kind of a fall from grace going from Canada's premeire super-team to a shop owner of Hard Air pottery. But hey, he never really seemed that interested in being a super hero.

Any questions about "Hard Air" ok how hard is hard air?
    Richard Vasseur

No pun intended here, lol, but I imagine that it's as hard as he wants to make it. It depends on how tightly he binds the air molecules.

Windshear was never a character that ever interested me at the time, he seemed so underused that I always wondered why he was kept around for so long. Having re-read the whole series and re-evaluated the characters somewhat I have to day that he started out pretty well, but was never really given enough to do, shame as I think the potential was there and he had an interesting background (from what we saw of it). I think I was left kind of thinking that he never really seemed to fit IN with the rest of the team, also I hated his costume! Maybe he would have been more suited to another team like the Avengers?

That was what I first liked about Windshear was his costume. Than I though his powers could be used in interesting ways. But that was never fully explored. To bad it doesn't look like he will ever make a comeback.
    Richard Vasseur

Since Windshear was working for Roxxon, his first costume was based of the Mauler armor, (see Alpha Flight vol. 1 #113). Heather has a battle with the Mauler, you can see how close they resemble each other.

I actually couldn't stand his costume when he first debuted. But when they gussied it up in the canadian national colors it looked great.

I'll admit it I never was a big fan of his. Just seemed like the writer had this idea of a character banging around in his head and decided that Windshear would be a cool name.

I agree he never fit in. He was too sane.
    I always thought (perhaps wrongly and very politically incorrectly) that he was created to be a token character for the main team. As evidenced by plotlines in THUNDERBOLTS, Fabian (creator of Windshear) will force ethnic diversity.

Token or not, I thought he was pretty darned cool.

To be honest I was surprised when re-reading the series that he was black! I'd completely forgotten, mainly because they made him wear that minky green helmet.

I don't see the logic of setting out to purposely include a black character and then giving him a costume which means the readers can't see that he's black? Casual browers would flick through the book in comic-book shops and just think it was some guy in a green helmet and not even realise this was a black super-hero.

Also I think AF was pretty diverse ethnically and socially anyway. Not many books can boast Native Canadians, a little person, French Canadians, a homosexual etc etc... not to mention a Plodex!!!

I don't think about a characters race at all whether they are black or white really makes no difference to me. Most are white but so are most of the people that read the comics. So it matches up. It has never made any difference to me what color a person's skin is and that has not influenced which comics I like. Patrotic pride might influance it as I will try out a Canadian comic just because its Canadian. Or a comic about Canadians as in Alpha Flight.
    Richard Vasseur