Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alphans of the Past

Default Alphans of the Past

Ever since Volume 3 came out, I've been looking through all my Alpha Flight back issues. Does anyone other than me wonder things like:

What happened to characters like Kara Killgrave, Whitman Knapp, and Albert Louis??

Were the heck is Wyre??

Will any of these characters be featured in the new series?

Any thoughts??

P.S. Can anyone tell me about this X-Men Reloaded I've been hearing about??

X-Men reloaded is basically a shifting of the x-books. Some ending, new ones starting. New writers and such. Joss Whedon of Buffy the Vampire fame will be writing a new book Astonishing X-men. Claremont will be taking over Uncanny I believe. There's a new Excalibur book starting dealing with Genosha and such. Some characters returning to the folds and so on. Don't want to spoil too much with what's going on but that's the basics.

As for lost members I'd love to see Talisman back. I just like her, and she's a youngin' so might work well with the new team.....even if there are no big plans for these past characters I'd still like to see them at least in guest-starring roles.

All of Volume 1 Beta Flight has just evaporated. Persuasion, Manakin, Goblin, Pathway (Laura Dean), Feedback, and Witchfire all seemed to drop out of sight after the first series ended. I wonder if Dept H did something to them sometime between the two series.

All of the ones you mention Jay where really good characters, but like you said, they were lost in Limbo and replaced by those saddoes from vol 2. Imagine the fight, Goblyn against Murmur. Bye bye Murmur
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Actually, I'd like to see the fight between Murmur and Persuasion. Kara does have the advantage since she can use her power from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by jay042
    Actually, I'd like to see the fight between Murmur and Persuasion. Kara does have the advantage since she can use her power from a distance.
    That would also be a good fight, but I lke the image in my head of Goblyn tearing off Murmurs pretty face. As you may have gathered, I don't really like Murmur.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I agree. I always thought Murmur was just a Persuasion "Knock-off". The argument I've always heard about Volume 2 is, if Scott Seagle wanted to have a character who can control people, why not just use Persuasion? She has experience and history with Alpha Flight.

The other characters had potential. It's a same too much good characters wind up in Limbo, sometimes indefinately.

I think Seagle wanted to have his own characters and having the younger new Beta members reinforced the gov conspiracy stuff, by enabling him to introduce Hull House. However, I'm of the same thought as most people, apart from Flex the rest were very lame characters and the original Beta could have taken them down easily.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon Omega
    I agree. I always thought Murmur was just a Persuasion "Knock-off". The argument I've always heard about Volume 2 is, if Scott Seagle wanted to have a character who can control people, why not just use Persuasion? She has experience and history with Alpha Flight.

The other characters had potential. It's a same too much good characters wind up in Limbo, sometimes indefinately.
    The main reason wasprobably that he wanted Murmur to be the resident ***** on the team. Kara had been established as not being that kind of person. Plus, Kara would have the baggage of the rest of Beta Flight, and obviously Seagle just wasn't wanting to use that or have to explain what's happened.

Did you notice how Murmer kind of faded away towards the end of V.2 and was barely seen in the last few issues. I didn't hate her, I just thought her powers were a bit lame, the fact that she had to be touching her victim to control them. I liked her name though, even though I never really thought it went that well with her power, maybe she should have been named Touch.

(On a side note: anyone reading Bryne's JLA storyline - which leads into his Doom Patrol series - will have seen another female 'controller', I fear she isn't half as glamerous as Murmer or Persusion, also she is saddled with the name NUDGE!!!!! )

Btw, wasn't Persuasion meant to be in NeverLand but there was a mix up with the colourist and they had to make her Siena Blaze instead?

About the Persuasion/Siena Blaze swap... yes, that's exactly what happened, and I pissed about that. I looooooooooove Siena Blaze. Love her. She's the reason I read comics, since the first comic I really sat down and read was X-Men Unlimited #1, and I thought she was cool as hell. I mourn her loss.

I'm still a Murmur fan, but yeah, she always ended up getting her butt kicked and couldn't be on active duty all that often. Didn't see that happening to Kara, now did we?

I have to admit that I don't really know who Siena Blaze is!

Murmur always seemed older than she was meant to be, I think one of the reasons that Kara was well liked by readers is because we got to see her develope from an uncertain young girl to a mature young woman. Murmur DID start to develope, but by the time it happened she had been put on the backburner and we didn't really get to see the character become anything other than what she was from the start.)

(However, saying that, weren't they building up a storyline about Persausion being increasingly reckless with her powers which was never really picked up on? It was then she was a member of Beta Flight and they all had those awful ugly outfits!)

For info on Sienna Blaze http://marvelbook.topcities.com/s/sblaze.htm

In regards to Murmur, I cannot think of one thing she did that beneficial to Alpha Flight. In their fight against the X-Men, she just helped perpetuated the idea that AF were second raters by getting all girly when Maggot sent whatever after her. IMHO Persuasion was a lot better character. Kara had a great deal of experience and after a bit of a dodgy start became a valid member of the team. I don't know if plans were afoot by Simon Furman to have her become overly reckless, but I consider the Beta team she belonged too as more than able to hol dtheir own. While Alpha were off having yet another Infinity thingy, they saw of The Master and his Omega Flight, I don't think Seagles Beta could have seen off a pack of Boy Scouts.
    Del

Sienna Blazr did not replace Kara due to a mix up. Both were slated to die in the death camps, but the colorist did Kara normal, so the character was spared.
    Check the Tieri boards at Comic X. There is a very old but still going thread, started by Tieri, of "what Marvel Universe character do you want dead?" This started before Weapon X, and was an obvious influence on what characters died in Neverland. Sienna Blaze, Maggot, and Persuasion were often cited on people's deathwish lists.
    Sorry, I couldn't find the link

So basically, I can blame Siena's death on the Comix-Fan idiot fanboys?