Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who do YOU think should have their own series?

Oh yeah .... Major Mapleleaf, starting with a story involving the lad and his dad ... a passing the mantle story that readdresses and provides more insight into MM Sr. career. I mean the guy was a freakin WWII war-hero on par with Cap America and Union Jack, and even as his credientials were established he was since being relagated to the role of mean old kid-beating has-been, which really sucks IMO.

So the guy was as tough as nails. Tough fathers produce tough people ... the kind capable of taking the fight to a buncha scum bags like the Nazi's and giving them their due, instead o'sittin back and hopin they'll share their feeling or something with us.

Making the guy some mean, bitter old man just does a real disservice, I think, to the past and past generations ... not to mention war-veterans and Canada.

So, MM Sr/Jr solo series or mini-series.

Here's a link to some fan art of an epsilon black soldier:

Thanks for the image Legerd!

I guess my Renegades aren't so far off of the mark; considering they made some aesthetic changes to their armour when they went rogue.

Strange to see them linked with a corportation called Gentech in this guys rpg campaign, given the timeframe. That was the name of a corporation that I made up for my "Thunder" rpg campaign, set in Marvel Canada.

Here's a couple of 'em with the Mac clone:

Ben

The only good thing to happen in Vol 2 (IMO) were the epsilon guards. The reds were your average armoured goons and the blacks were the hardcore wetworks kind, if I recall correctly. Very cool look to them.

The reds have a much more form-fitting design to their armour than I would have thought. Were they based upon Mac's cybernetic/battlesuit design?

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Oh yeah .... Major Mapleleaf, starting with a story involving the lad and his dad ... a passing the mantle story that readdresses and provides more insight into MM Sr. career. I mean the guy was a freakin WWII war-hero on par with Cap America and Union Jack, and even as his credientials were established he was since being relagated to the role of mean old kid-beating has-been, which really sucks IMO.

So the guy was as tough as nails. Tough fathers produce tough people ... the kind capable of taking the fight to a buncha scum bags like the Nazi's and giving them their due, instead o'sittin back and hopin they'll share their feeling or something with us.

Making the guy some mean, bitter old man just does a real disservice, I think, to the past and past generations ... not to mention war-veterans and Canada.

Major Maple leaf existance is a joke and do a lot of disservice to war-veterans and Canada, IMO. His name and costume just look like a big stereotype of Canada. The concept his like a big american joke to canadians. No, I like him better as a mean guy, at least he do change from the canadian stereotype and give a little bit of subtility and substance to his son which is the ultimate canadian stereotype.

Anyway, I think the concept should have never existed, but since we are stuck with it, we can play with the concept and child abuse is something important and interesting to do, if done right, it can be a powerful tool in helping kids and adults that did had or have that problem.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Major Maple leaf existance is a joke and do a lot of disservice to war-veterans and Canada, IMO. His name and costume just look like a big stereotype of Canada. The concept his like a big american joke to canadians.

No, I like him better as a mean guy, at least he do change from the canadian stereotype and give a little bit of subtility and substance to his son which is the ultimate canadian stereotype.

Anyway, I think the concept should have never existed, but since we are stuck with it, we can play with the concept and child abuse is something important and interesting to do, if done right, it can be a powerful tool in helping kids and adults that did had or have that problem.
    I think thats what therapy is for.

MM Sr. is no more a stereotype or joke than is Capt. America, all draped in the red,white and blue, and full of the same old rhetoric. In fact, MM Sr. rough as nails demeanour is inkeeping with many historical Canadian Mounties and the general disposition of hellraising Canadian soldiers during WWII.

What makes him a "joke" is relagating him to "has-been" status, and then further selling him short in the hopes of bolstering the status of the 2-dimensional steroetype of Canada that is MM Jr. is. Talk about an insult.

In fact, from what I've read around here, Vol.3 in general is pretty roundly considered a joke and insult, while Northstar's "coming out of the closet" issue, which was also the premiere of MM Sr, correct (?), is fairly legendary or at least well known.

Anyway, I suppose everyone has their rights to their favourites and least favouirites and rationales for either. I like the MM Sr. idea, but not what has been done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois

Major Maple leaf existance is a joke and do a lot of disservice to war-veterans and Canada, IMO. His name and costume just look like a big stereotype of Canada. The concept his like a big american joke to canadians. No, I like him better as a mean guy, at least he do change from the canadian stereotype and give a little bit of subtility and substance to his son which is the ultimate canadian stereotype.

The thing that cheeses me off to no end is apparantly every Canadian parent in the MU is abusive. Wolverine's grandfather kicks him out of the house, Kyle's parents kick him out, Sabertooth's father kept him chained up in the basement, Sammy (the fish-headed boy who befriended Juggernaut) was abused by his parents, Shaman abandoned his daughter (Talisman) when his wife died, Goblyn and Pathway's parents rejected them, plus there have been various no-names in different stories who are shown being cruel to their kids. It's like the evil government conspiracy shtick; a few stories like that are okay, but every single story...? Here's a thought, why not be creative and do something new?.

Now that I think about it, Legerd's got a point... can anyone find an instance where a Canadian HASN'T come from a dysfunctional home-life??

To add to the list:
    - Walter meantioned his son ONCE, but we've never heard hair nor hide of him since
    - I don't think I really NEED to get into the traumas of the twins' childhood.

The only one who really fits the bill as having a 'stable' childhood is Marrina (and maybe baby Hudson, but that's debateable as well)!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    The thing that cheeses me off to no end is apparantly every Canadian parent in the MU is abusive.
    This reminded me of my last Marvel RPG campaign, centred around the homespun hero Thunder. The campaign took places in Marvel Canada, adn Thunder's Canadian girlfriend was investigated for abusing her son and eventually the kid was taken away by the Ministry of Children/Family/ whatever.

Now, in actaulity the kid wasn't being abused at all. The kid was a mutant, and one of Depratmnet H's "feelers", in this case the kids Vice Principle, noted this fact. So, the abuse-accusation, et al. was just their way of drafting yuong Brent into Hull House. Nasty, eh?

Only in Canada.

Only in Canada.
    Sadly, that's how we Canadians are being percieved.

... Great, now I got another goat to slaughter....

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Only in Canada.

Look like we'll have to send PETA to Canada as well. Poor little defenseless goats!

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Only in Canada.

Look like we'll have to send PETA to Canada as well. Poor little defenseless goats!
    ....smart@$$

To be devil's advocate...
    How abusive was MML Sr?
    The abusive panel is clearly told from Jr's point of view, and to me a giveaway is the line that Sr asks how many times he told Jr. not to look through his stuff?
    Is it abuse to punish a child who refuses to obey basic rules of consideration or show respect for others and/or their property?
    There's actually a lot that could be delved into with the family dynamics among the Sadlers. Was Michael the type to lure his younger brothers into situations that would get him in trouble?
    I just kind of looked at the abuse scene as Jr's extreme memory, the same way I look at Sr's membership with the Invaders as rather tenuous. The Invaders are mentioned by MML, but never vice versa?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.