Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You know what's great about the new Alpha Flight?

Default You know what's great about the new Alpha Flight?

The team dynamic. I was just thinking today, so many team books have a bunch of friends working together. Is there any dissenting voice in the JLA or Avengers? Even Juggernaut in the X-Men seems pretty cool with his teammates. There's no tension.

But in the new Alpha Flight, you have such a diverse group that even when friendships start to form, you'll still have in fighting? Will Nemesis ever not throw a wrench into the teams plans? Will Major Mapleleaf grate on anyone other than Nemesis? Will Yukon Jack not resent being on the team? The possibilities for a unique and fractured team are endless. And that is something that, too me, is necissary to make a team book better than a solo book.

I totally agree with you, and that's why my favorite team book, to this day, is the late and unlamented The All-New Exiles. Marvel executives should be drawn and quartered for destroying this series. The team dynamic was explosive (no pun intended for anyone who's read this series). You had Juggernaut LEADING the team, which was edgy in and of itself. You had 'Strike, who had already tried to kill one of the team members but who was scrambling to prove the team's innocence in the face of an entire world that wanted them dead. You had Shuriken, who at any time might have turned the team in to the government to get her son back. You had Amber Hunt, already a reviled and demonized figure on her reality's Earth, never knowing quite when this air-headed blonde might lose control of her powers or her mind again. You had Hellblade, a demonic-looking figure if ever there was one, who also believed for a time that the Exiles were guilty, and was biding his time to take them all down. You had Reaper, who was just looking to come out on top, and who betrayed Juggernaut in the midst of the series. And you had the delectable Siena Blaze, arguably the most dangerous of the bunch, with her true nihilistic (she literally gave no thought to the fact that any use of her powers could destroy the planet at any time) views and constant bickering with Amber and Reaper. This was a team that fought CONSTANTLY amongst themselves, even in the midst of battle, but who did come together to defend their own when their backs were up against the wall. And I can see the same sort of dynamic going on here in the new Alpha Flight. Cheers, mates!

Default Re: You know what's great about the new Alpha Flight?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho
    The team dynamic. I was just thinking today, so many team books have a bunch of friends working together. Is there any dissenting voice in the JLA or Avengers? Even Juggernaut in the X-Men seems pretty cool with his teammates. There's no tension.

But in the new Alpha Flight, you have such a diverse group that even when friendships start to form, you'll still have in fighting? Will Nemesis ever not throw a wrench into the teams plans? Will Major Mapleleaf grate on anyone other than Nemesis? Will Yukon Jack not resent being on the team? The possibilities for a unique and fractured team are endless. And that is something that, too me, is necissary to make a team book better than a solo book.
    Hell, that was a lot of the appeal in the *old* Alpha Flight! Those people were prickly as all hell, and couldn't even make out a shopping list without getting into a brawl. Good times, good times...

Suzene

Yes the old team had a lot of problems with their teammates but the team still worked. They were a fighting force to be reckoned with. This new team is diverse and certainly different. I wonder what happens when they rescue the original members and Earthmover, who will stay with Alpha Flight than.
    Richard Vasseur

I have to agree that this AN/AD AF (to borrow the abbreviation they used in that Lobdell interview, you know, the one where he was almost foaming at the mouth... ) has the beginnings of the same team dynamic as the original AF. Bickering amongst teammates, some real differences in outlook, but you knew they were going to stick by each other to the end. I hope this is how this team develops.

I think if we added Snowbird into the mix we'd see a great team dynamic.

Snowbird well I think she and Sasquatch might work well together in this new team. Seeing as how they share so much in common like her body. I wonder if Puck's daughter will continue lusting after Walter?
    Richard Vasseur

I honestly don't see the same dynamic here as in the original Alpha Flight. Nemesis actively wants to KILL the other members, and is being physically restrained from doing so. Puck, Centennial... still trying to see why these two are even bothering. Major Mapleleaf's motives are obvious: he wants to do good, and he looks up to the ideal of Alpha Flight. And Yukon Jack... so Walter drugged and kidnapped him. But he's awake now. Why hasn't he left? I don't buy it. And it's not to say that I don't like the team... in fact, I LOVE this team. But a lot of it seems really implausible.

Yes I agree. Thats why I hope after they rescue the old team they leave and the old team stays with Marrina and Snowbird rejoining.
    Richard Vasseur

I'm still waiting for a Madison Jeffries appearance. He needs to be brought back to Alpha Flight. Too many good Alpha Characters are in limbo.

I was happy with the number of Alpha Flight characters present in Weapon X when they started. So much that I came up with a few ideas about possible connections to the evil Dept H of vol 2. But now Aurora and Madison are nowhere to be seen. Poor guy's been brainwashed for so long now, gotta feel bad for him. Hope that Walt and Alpha Flight realize that they have some friends who may need their help that aren't just from the most recent incarnation of the team. Those that have been abused since vol 2 ended and those that haven't been seen at all since the end of vol 1.

Weapon X # 22 will be a stand alone issue, showing what Aurora, Maddy and the director have been up too since the coup. Hopefully there will be some closure in it, cos I cannot see them being used again in the book after Reload.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Yes lets have the team remembering that they have obligations to past members. If we had a core team of about 12 members so that way half the team would go out on missions while half stayed at their base incase something else came up. Like monitor duty for the JLA. That would be great. Team members being: Guardian, Vindicator, Shaman, Puck, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Marrina, Madison, Earthmover, Northstar, Aurora and Talisan. You have technology, skill, strength, leadership, fighting skill.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    I honestly don't see the same dynamic here as in the original Alpha Flight. Nemesis actively wants to KILL the other members, and is being physically restrained from doing so. Puck, Centennial... still trying to see why these two are even bothering. Major Mapleleaf's motives are obvious: he wants to do good, and he looks up to the ideal of Alpha Flight. And Yukon Jack... so Walter drugged and kidnapped him. But he's awake now. Why hasn't he left? I don't buy it. And it's not to say that I don't like the team... in fact, I LOVE this team. But a lot of it seems really implausible.
    That's what I'm talking about, the differences are so extreme that it should be great. Will they be there when they are needed? even that isn't certain.

Puck is with them for honour.
    Centennial is with them for something to do, something that'll make him feel right.
    Yukon Jack is with them for the experience.

Yukon Jack is with them because his father told him he has to be there.
    Puck is there for honour how so she lost a bet.
    Centennial he just seems bored and wants something to occupy his time.
    Richard Vasseur

Yukon Jack isn't there because his father told him to be there. He's there because he was drugged and kidnapped... basically, his father sold him to Sasquatch. Yeaaaaaah, that's real democratic.