Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magik

Ok Magic. So what do you think of the new Magic?
    I enjoyed the limited series. But I still prefer Peter's lil sister.
    Richard Vasseur

Magik knows what *I* think of Amanda Sefton.

*aaaaand split*

New Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Ok Magic. So what do you think of the new Magic?
    I enjoyed the limited series. But I still prefer Peter's lil sister.
    I like her. I had read comics with Amanda before I had ever even heard of Perfection.. Er.. I mean.. Illyana.

I took an instant liking to Amanda, but Illyana will always be my favorite. I figure, if anyone has to take the name, 'Magik' in 'Yana's absence, I'm glad that it's Amanda.

I'd like to see Amanda in the upcoming series, 'Witches'.. But I doubt it'll happen.

Actually, I'd like to see Illyana in Witches, but that's even more doubtful. Okay.. Scratch that.. I'd like to see Illyana anywhere!! (I guess the cameo in New Mutants #11 will have to do for now. *sigh*)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    Magik knows what *I* think of Amanda Sefton.
    Yes, yes. You're very fond of her, but we all know that Annie, Kitty, and Wolvie will always come first for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    *aaaaand split*
    This thread was split off? :Laugh: Yay! Now Magik has her very own thread. (I'll convert you all into Magik fanatics yet!) :Evil, wicked laugh!:

~ Magik
    Do you believe in -- Magik?

I loved Illyana it was a shame she was killed off. Since she is tried into a dimension of magic maybe she could somehow come back? Come back and take back her title from Amanda. That would make for a nice little mini series.
    Richard Vasseur

I never really cared for Illyana, but I don't understand why Amanda was given the title of Magik. I like Amanda though.

But really what was the point? No one's used her since.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho
    I never really cared for Illyana
    Magik's gonna kill you...

but I don't understand why Amanda was given the title of Magik.
    Me niether... to my knowledge, Illyana chose the name when she joined the New Mutants.

But really what was the point? No one's used her since.
    Hey, there's still a chance... not MUCH of one, but, hey...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

To answer your question as to why Amanda uses the codename Magik... she does so purposefully, to confuse the spells of her enemies. For those of you that are unfamiliar with demonology (in a fictional setting), it's said that knowing the name of a being gives you power over it. Therefore, Amanda picked up the codename so that those beings/demons/whatever that didn't know about the change in leadership within Limbo wouldn't be as capable of harming her. Did that explanation make sense? It's the actual reason, not one I made up, but I'm not sure if I was coherent, LOL.

Of course it makes perfect sense. So how come we all know Shaman's name? Or Talisman? Or Snowbird? They didn't plan to be involved in magic when they were born I guess.
    Richard Vasseur

New Recruit

loved Illyana it was a shame she was killed off. Since she is tried into a dimension of magic maybe she could somehow come back? Come back and take back her title from Amanda. That would make for a nice little mini series.
    Yup, it would make a nice mini series, wouldn't it? And really, it wouldn't be breaking Marvel's 'dead stay dead' rule, either. Magik never died. The child inside of the armor at the end of New Mutants #73 did, (From Legacy.) but Magik had already vacated the armor by that point, as shown here:

I never really cared for Illyana.
    To each their own, I suppose.. But I can't help but notice your user name at this time.. 'Nalyd Psycho'.. Hmm.. :grins:

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Magik's gonna kill you...
    Kill is such a crude word.. Eviscerate, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Hey, there's still a chance... not MUCH of one, but, hey...
    I think the chances of her return are much better than they were a couple years ago..

Now that sorcery and the like are becoming more up front than they have been in the past few years, (For example, the upcoming Witches series, Nico and her parents in Runaways, Shaman and Earthmover in Alpha..) I think I can actually see it happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    To answer your question as to why Amanda uses the codename Magik... she does so purposefully, to confuse the spells of her enemies. For those of you that are unfamiliar with demonology (in a fictional setting), it's said that knowing the name of a being gives you power over it.
    You know, I'd never even heard of that until I read the Shadow series by Anne Logston. (Good series, by the way.)

Of course it makes perfect sense. So how come we all know Shaman's name? Or Talisman? Or Snowbird? They didn't plan to be involved in magic when they were born I guess.
    They all have different forms of magic.. as a follower of the Winding Way, Amanda's power level will rise, and then drastically fall. If I recall correctly, it's to teach humility.

For that reason, I can see Amanda needing the extra edge it'd give her during those down times..

~ Magik

So did you enjoy seeing the killer Illyana in the Exiles series? Maybe she could crossover to the regular universe if she is still around.
    Richard Vasseur

New Recruit

So did you enjoy seeing the killer Illyana in the Exiles series?
    ... Well ... You just hit a sore spot. :laugh:
    It's kind of a long story, but quite frankly, I don't have anything better to do but tell it at the moment.

First of all, a lot of the reason I'm reading comics as actively as I am now, is because I heard of Illyana coming to Exiles. I had quit reading, hadn't picked up a new comic in years. Between her coming to Exiles, and the New Mutants title being resurrected, I couldn't help myself. I *had* to get back into the whole comic collecting obsession!

Yeesh, was I ever in for a disappointment. Exiles 'Yana was there for convenience. Nothing less, nothing more. I'm convinced of it. They wanted a teleporter, threw names in a hat, and picked her name out.

They gave her NO dimensions whatsoever, her personality was hack this, slash that, if it moves kill it!! At least, until these last few issues. (Where she's shone, and I've loved her in them. - Until the latest issue with her.. Crap it..) They explained why she was the way she was.. Why she seemed so bloodthirsty.. Why she was so desperate to get her reality back to the way it was. And honestly, I can't say that our 616 Illyana wouldn't have been just as desperate to get back, and make things right. (Although, I don't think she would've taken it to the same extreme as Exiles 'Yana though.)

Another problem I had was WAY too many continuity errors where the character was concerned.. Archangel being able to steal her Soulsword? No. Freaking. (Reading too many issues of Runaways. ) Way. And then the X-Men back him up on it? Where are the X-Men's morals!? They support Warren stealing away part of Illyana's very soul!? Her soul!! Come on! I will never forgive Chuck Austen for that issue. I almost dropped every single title I was reading at the time because of that single issue. When I read that, I literally threw that comic across the room, and screamed. (You think that's bad? Watch a soap with me, *then* you'll see some reactions. )

Very few people can touch Illyana's Soulsword. Illyana herself, Kitty, the Beyonder, and Storm *might*, but it's never been shown. S'ym was able to at one point only because he was considered the Ruler of Limbo at the time, which Illyana was connected to also, and the Ruler of Limbo makes the rules in the realm.

Another thing I had a problem with was being able to teleport seemingly without going through Limbo. Perhaps this Illyana learned a way around it, or her power works differently, but they never explained it.

She also casted spells on Earth that she shouldn't have been able to cast. Perhaps she had a different teacher than Storm and Belasco in Limbo.. But did they explain it? No.. We're to assume most of the same stuff happened to Exiles 'Yana as our 'Yana.. So why all the continuity errors?

Anyways, in those last issues, they explained her actions, and gave her a personality. Though she was still drastically different from our Illyana in personality, I grew to love her as well. (Though not nearly as much as ours.)

Maybe she could crossover to the regular universe if she is still around.
    Well.. I'm unsure what the spoiler rules are on this board, and I can't find anything relating to a spoiler tag like the ones on NM.net.. So I'll just leave some spoiler space. If you don't want to be spoiled, stop reading now.

S
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r

S
    p
    a
    c
    e

Hyperion killed Exiles 'Yana. He snapped her neck. She didn't even try to fight back. :sigh:

~ Magik

Well since you really didn't like exiles Yana I guess you didn't mind her neck being snapped so much.
    Marvel is doing a Spider-Man where they are reprinting his earilier adventures so maybe they will do this with other titles if it seems to catch on. Maybe the original New Mutants ? And Magic!
    Richard Vasseur

New Recruit

Well since you really didn't like exiles Yana I guess you didn't mind her neck being snapped so much.
    Actually, she really managed to grow on me (like mold. ) in those last few issues.. I didn't know that one could feel depressed just by the death of a comic book character! I was moody, and irritable for days afterward..

Marvel is doing a Spider-Man where they are reprinting his earilier adventures so maybe they will do this with other titles if it seems to catch on. Maybe the original New Mutants ? And Magic!
    Oho! Now that is a great idea! Especially if it was done like X-Men Classic/Classic X-Men was, with an extra story at the end of each book!

~ Magik

I think what I will like most about the new Spidey title will be seeing the classic villians again. Now a days they have been changed so much or you hardly ever see them. When was the last time the Rhino made an appearence? Or Electro, Lizard, Stegron, Vulture, Scorpion, Kraven these were great villians. I want more of them and the other ones.
    Maybe they could get a new Sinister Six and show up across the border in Canada. Maybe even encounter a certain Canadian super hero team.
    Richard Vasseur